Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Things to do in Somerset

What's Hot
I've booked two nights away in Crewkerne for the Wife's birthday in a brilliant looking cottage. I've not been to Somerset before (we usually drive through to get to Dartmoor) so what is the to look at/do while we're down there? 

We love country walks, little villages and country pubs so I'd imagine it's not hard to find something down there.

Last resort is to just get up early and drive the hour to Dartmoor.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7828

Drive to Devon :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Lyme Regis and the Jurassic coast? Although it's a bit chilly for the beach!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GLASTONBURY!!! Wacky little town,the cathedral ruins and the tor. Quite a few cafes and restaurants and you can do it all from one parking spot with a bit of walking. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    You're not far from Lyme Regis there, technically Dorset though, and Westbay, they film Broadchurch. Glastonbury is worth a visit, as is Wells. Both doable in one day. Also Cricket St Thomas wildlife park is around the corner, depends when you're going if it's open though.

As for walks, Ham Hill isn't far from Crewkerne, nice walk with good views and a lovely old pub on top. Martock is a beautiful village, not sure what walks and stuff are there.

My V key is broken
  • Drink loads of scrumpy, go joy riding on a tractor and get down to Mr Blobby Land at Cricket St Thomas. Cracking day out.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    That sounds great for me but she's pregnant, she spoils the fun.
  • inbreed?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drink loads of scrumpy, go joy riding on a tractor and get down to Mr Blobby Land at Cricket St Thomas. Cracking day out.
    Stevepage said:
    That sounds great for me but she's pregnant, she spoils the fun.
    Blobbyland shut down in 1999 so that might be slightly more of a problem. And it was shit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2017
    stay in the warm and rub anti wrinkle cream into your wife's belly - she will thank you for it later!

Oh and look out the window every so often at the lovely views...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22236
    edited February 2017
    Stevepage said:
    I've booked two nights away in Crewkerne for the Wife's birthday in a brilliant looking cottage. I've not been to Somerset before (we usually drive through to get to Dartmoor) so what is the to look at/do while we're down there? 

We love country walks, little villages and country pubs so I'd imagine it's not hard to find something down there.

Last resort is to just get up early and drive the hour to Dartmoor.

Cheddar Gorge, old chap. Sod Dartmoor. AN hour's drive from Crewkerne. 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Paul_C said:

Drive to Devon :)
    Yep..I'd crack on down to Devon, although it's pretty cold on high ground recently with a some recent light snow  :)
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4168
    edited February 2017
    Ain't much in Crewkerne at all, depends what you are looking for Ham Hill is nice the pub on the top is called the Prince of Wales, bands generally play up there on Sunday afternoons from May onwards. Avoid Yeovil like the plague, nothing but roadworks at the moment. Avoid Martock as well because @firepaulmusic lives there lol. Best place to go is Sherborne but again avoid as I live there! Worth going to Street near Glstonbury, Clarks village for Mrs shopping, and Jaywalk music for you! 
    Owner Keith is a nice guy. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Fuck Devon, Somerset #1!
    My V key is broken
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11957
    shouldn't you be taking your sister instead of your wife?

(sorry, knee-jerk joke)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Wells cathedral, Cheddar Gorge, Wookey Hole, West Somerset Railway...
    Been there done that got the T-shirts all those great places to go. Especially the Cheddar Gorge, when you drive into the valley you would swear you were in Scotland.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    edited February 2017
    Ain't much in Crewkerne at all, depends what you are looking for Ham Hill is nice the pub on the top is called the Prince of Wales, bands generally play up there on Sunday afternoons from May onwards. Avoid Yeovil like the plague, nothing but roadworks at the moment. Avoid Martock as well because @firepaulmusic lives there lol. Best place to go is Sherborne but again avoid as I live there! Worth going to Street near Glstonbury, Clarks village for Mrs shopping, and Jaywalk music for you! 
    Owner Keith is a nice guy. 
    "The pub on the top is called the Prince of Wales" - do you mean the one in Priddy? Went up there one evening for a meal with my mother, wound up joining in an ace old-school folk night. 

Edit - misread - you clearly meant the top of Ham Hill. We just used to refer to the area across the top of the Mendips as "the tops". 
  • Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil if you like cars - well worth a visit.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    There's an old pub in nearby Hinton-St-George, The Lord Poulett Arms, that you might like. 10 mins or less by car from Crewkerne.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil if you like cars - well worth a visit.
    If we're into the realm of lame museums, there is/was a bakelite museum on the way to watchet/minehead
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom