Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Things to do in Somerset

What's Hot

Comments

• Drink loads of scrumpy, go joy riding on a tractor and get down to Mr Blobby Land at Cricket St Thomas. Cracking day out.
    Stevepage said:
    That sounds great for me but she's pregnant, she spoils the fun.
    Blobbyland shut down in 1999 so that might be slightly more of a problem. And it was shit. 
    Ah yes, but you forget, in Somerset it's still 1997...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be a bit out of your way, but Paignton zoo is well worth a visit. Its massive and theres loads to see.
    I go a couple times every year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Thanks for all the suggestions gents, I'll take note of them all and see what I can come up with.

• bbill335 said:
    Haynes Motor Museum near Yeovil if you like cars - well worth a visit.
    If we're into the realm of lame museums, there is/was a bakelite museum on the way to watchet/minehead
    Have you seen Haynes since it was revamped? Good for a morning then Fleet Air Arm Museum in the afternoon then decide what the wife might want to do! ps @LoFi there isnt a Prince of Wales in Priddy its the Queen Victoria,  or New Inn now closed had may silly nigths in both of them doing the folk night thing
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    GSPBASSES said:
    Nitefly said:
    Wells cathedral, Cheddar Gorge, Wookey Hole, West Somerset Railway...
    Been there done that got the T-shirts all those great places to go. Especially the Cheddar Gorge, when you drive into the valley you would swear you were in Scotland.
    /\ lots of gingers?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    bbill335 said:
    If we're into the realm of lame museums, there is/was a bakelite museum on the way to watchet/minehead
    Have you seen Haynes since it was revamped? Good for a morning then Fleet Air Arm Museum in the afternoon then decide what the wife might want to do! ps @LoFi there isnt a Prince of Wales in Priddy its the Queen Victoria,  or New Inn now closed had may silly nigths in both of them doing the folk night thing
    Actually, the cogs are moving now. Helicopter museum in Weston, Taunton castle museum (free!). Out of these, I've only been to the Taunton one. I was joking when I said the bakelite/haynes ones were lame.
  • Stevepage said:
    I've booked two nights away in Crewkerne for the Wife's birthday in a brilliant looking cottage. I've not been to Somerset before (we usually drive through to get to Dartmoor) so what is the to look at/do while we're down there? 

We love country walks, little villages and country pubs so I'd imagine it's not hard to find something down there.

Last resort is to just get up early and drive the hour to Dartmoor.
    Drive to Dorset, you're about three minutes away.  Head to the coast -  you can be in Westbay (where Broadchuch is filmed) in 20-25 minutes. Or there' s Charmouth and Lyme Regis a little futher along the coast.  All a short drive away.

There's the  Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil if you want to travel 20 minutes in the other direction. 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    Don't buy any scrumpy! We did that a few months back, visited a cider barn in the middle of Zumerset and picked some up. Every man had a face full of busted capilares.

I had a few pints and it finished me off! The alcohol percentage is just a suggestion.!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Stevepage said:
    I've booked two nights away in Crewkerne for the Wife's birthday in a brilliant looking cottage. I've not been to Somerset before (we usually drive through to get to Dartmoor) so what is the to look at/do while we're down there? 

We love country walks, little villages and country pubs so I'd imagine it's not hard to find something down there.

Last resort is to just get up early and drive the hour to Dartmoor.
    Drive to Dorset, you're about three minutes away.  Head to the coast -  you can be in Westbay (where Broadchuch is filmed) in 20-25 minutes. Or there' s Charmouth and Lyme Regis a little futher along the coast.  All a short drive away.

There's the  Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovil if you want to travel 20 minutes in the other direction. 
    Fossil hunting on Charmouth Beach is ace ( but only if you find something)  :)
  • Babones said:
    There's an old pub in nearby Hinton-St-George, The Lord Poulett Arms, that you might like. 10 mins or less by car from Crewkerne.
    Good food, one of my bands videos is from a gig in the gardens out back. Nice place,
  • I can vouch for FAA museum at Rnas Yeovilton, Dave Morris one of the curators nice guy even if he plays a Gibson not a Fender!  
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I used to work in Clarks Village, I don't recommend it! 
    My V key is broken
  • tone1 said:

Fossil hunting on Charmouth Beach is ace ( but only if you find something)  :)
    It's pretty hard not to. Almost everything has at least an ammonite in it. 

I live  in a small village  less than minutes from Crewkerne, so we're often at West Bay, Charmouth etc. Lovely places - until the summer season :)

• Drink loads of scrumpy, go joy riding on a tractor and get down to Mr Blobby Land at Cricket St Thomas. Cracking day out.
    Stevepage said:
    That sounds great for me but she's pregnant, she spoils the fun.
    Blobbyland shut down in 1999 so that might be slightly more of a problem. And it was shit. 
    Ah yes, but you forget, in Somerset it's still 1997...
    As recent as that? 

It was still shit. 

If you do end up at Clarks Village the trip has probably gone wrong, it isn't awful but it could be anywhere. 
    Ain't much in Crewkerne at all, depends what you are looking for Ham Hill is nice the pub on the top is called the Prince of Wales, bands generally play up there on Sunday afternoons from May onwards. Avoid Yeovil like the plague, nothing but roadworks at the moment. Avoid Martock as well because @firepaulmusic lives there lol. Best place to go is Sherborne but again avoid as I live there! Worth going to Street near Glstonbury, Clarks village for Mrs shopping, and Jaywalk music for you! 
    holnrew said:
    I used to work in Clarks Village, I don't recommend it! 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    EricTheWeary said:

If you do end up at Clarks Village the trip has probably gone wrong, it isn't awful but it could be anywhere. 

Not quite correct...

The best thing about Clarks Village is ofcourse the fact that Jaywalk Guitars is just across the high street. If you manage to set the wife and kids loose in the village with a bit of dosh as persuasion, you will have a field day!

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited February 2017
    @Stevepage  If you like country pubs, you're not too far from a little village called Sandford Orcas (it's actually in Dorset rather than Somerset).
    There's a nice little pub there called The Mitre Inn.  Real ales and proper home cooked food.  There are also plenty of nice walks around there, too. 

http://www.mitreinn.co.uk/

I feel ŷou fancy a chuckle, have a gander at the TV museum in Montacute.  It's a bit wierd and very quirky but fascinating at the same time...

http://www.montacutemuseum.co.uk/

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    There's a nice market in Wells on some Saturdays but not sure if it's every week. 
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    bbill335 said:
    You're quite right. I blame rugby beers on Sunday afternoon.
  • Has anyone mentioned wookey hole yet? 

There's also all of Bath which is a lovely town - the roman baths are worth a look if you haven't been before. 

And there's plenty of gardens and Nat Trust stuff. Stourhead is just into wiltshire but it's a nice walk.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom