Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I need a forum induced slap round the face..

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
..to snap me out of it.

After buying my Stingray just before Christmas, and then getting the Precision last month, I reckon I've been playing prolly a couple of hours bass a day.

Now and again I pick a guitar off the hanger, have a play and then go back to learning another bluesy turn around bass line or tabbing the bass line from another track.

Over the last few days I've been staring at some of the tasty guitars on the wall in my office and thinking "I could chop a few of these in and get a mid sixties Jazz..."

Have I lost my marbles, or is there any hope for me? Will I get over this and play more six string again?

Lost of South Lincs.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do it you only need one guitar ,  bass is life 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, Get rid, you're the Lord of the Low End now....I'll take that Special, PM me a price ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    miserneil said:
    Yeah, Get rid, you're the Lord of the Low End now....I'll take that Special, PM me a price ;)
    Funnily enough, the special usually gets picked up first.. but it would be the lions share of a Jazz..

It's got so bad that the wife has started to object to the quantity of Jazz mags in the ensuite now....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:
    Oh, and it's a step up from being Lord of the Bell End...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    We'll be the judges of that...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    We'll be the judges of that...
    I think it's beyond that - sentence was handed down some time ago!
  • For a Jazz bass no
    For a Jazz bass no
    For any bass, or a Jazz in particular?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    bonk2  cbash

Image result for slap round the face

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    bonk2  cbash

And I thought you'd be more encouraging - what with a Lemonburst R8 sitting on my wall hanger being unloved since my low end antics started :tongue: 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Guitar player turned to bass? - ugh oh, you're probably playing way too many notes, and none of them the correct ones, so you should return to six string immoderately and leave it to those who were born to bass.

Does that help?
  • Clearly you were a closet bassist all along. I'd just accept it for what it is and get all of those lovely six strings off the wall and onto the fretboard for sale section. All at ridiculously marked down, quick sale prices mind you -just so there is no return.  ;)
    Voxman said:
    bonk2  cbash

And I thought you'd be more encouraging - what with a Lemonburst R8 sitting on my wall hanger being unloved since my low end antics started :tongue: 
    And that's EXACTLY WHY you need a slap - you're a heartless brute...how could you leave that lovely Lemonburst hanging unloved on your wall?  Never mind a slap, I'm reporting you to the RSPCLBLP's - outrageous!  You should give it to me - I'll love and care for it and give it a happy home!   Hell, I think I'm going to apply for a court protection order to seize it & rescue it...poor little Lemonburst R8.  D D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • For a Jazz bass no
    For any bass, or a Jazz in particular?
    Any jazz haha. If you have to then buy a newer one and simply try many in person. The next big step is upright really, there you can spend an eye watering amount of money for admittedly something much more elegant than an old jazz bass. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017
    a guitar that's not being played is an ornament.
    follow your heart & enthusiasm. it's supposed to be fun.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    Guitar player turned to bass? - ugh oh, you're probably playing way too many notes, and none of them the correct ones, so you should return to six string immoderately and leave it to those who were born to bass.

Does that help?

Image result for im playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order

No, he's playing all the RIGHT notes - but not necessarily in the right ORDER! 
    Just to be clear - I'm talking thinning here, not getting rid of all of them!!

It does feel such a waste that they are hanging up on the wall as much as they are...

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    How many guitars have you got?

The right amount is 7.
    If you listen carefully, you can hear them whispering "play me.....     plaaaaaaay me..."

And if you look carefully as well, you can see the curvature of the earth...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27509
    thebreeze said:
    How many guitars have you got?

The right amount is 70.
    Even I wouldn't go quite that far.

If you listen carefully, you can hear them whispering "play me.....     plaaaaaaay me..."

If you had 40 or 50, then I might suggest selling a few of the lesser played ones and getting it down to a more sensible 30 or so.  But if that's the extent of your current collection, I'd not worry too much about downsizing.

you'd only end up having to buy them back once the meds started to work.

"Doctor, doctor, I think I'm becoming a bassist ...."
    (now, what's the punchline?)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.