Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Job question. ( formerly Jon)

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Ok chaps, job question. 
There's a position available in my area for a Lead Engineer/Team Leader. 
They have just redefined the role from supervisor to this, my boss wants me to go for it. 

I'd be doing some paperwork, tri monthly assessments on the other lads, quality audits, surveys, representing the company at meetings that my boss can't make, 2 days a week 'off the tools' doing all that stuff.

Pros: looks good on cv, better job security if we have to cut staff, I've done supervisor/management positions before am comfortable with it.

Cons: no extra money, it's possible those 2 days a week would be capped at my contacted hours 9.5 where I usually do 12, 2.5 hours at time and a half, so there's a good chance if there's no extra work in the area I'd be worse off, I'd be first port of call for the lads with any issues or problems, extra man needed on call outs etc, filling in for sickness etc.

Thoughts? 
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I think the question is "what the hell's the next chord?"

http://static.c2w.com/uploads/question/image/01/15/81/11/N1158111/1235117059.jpg

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    Go for it, but who's Jon? 
  • Hmm, I'm an old-ish codger, and a new job with more responsibility but no pay increase = lose.

It depends whether there is a pot of gold at the end, or at least sterling silver (Mexican at a push), i.e. could this be a stepping stone to an actual pay increase and further advancement?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • More responsibility without more money is not acceptable. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • I think we should leave this question for Jon himself to answer.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    More responsibility without more money is not acceptable. 
    But if @professorben ;doesn't take it someone else will ( probably Jon) and does he really want to be under him, he could be a right twat and when he finds out the he was 2nd choice to OP he is going to want to undermine him at every opportunity? OP will resent this and fight back. What started out as the option of a few days paperwork is now months of paperwork for the Union Lawyers as OP sits at home on garden leave scouring the internet for jobs in his underpants. Which will probably lead to a better job with better pay unless he is over 50 in which case he will be alone forever.

So I'd say 50/50.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Doesn't look great to me. I wouldn't take it because it looked better on my CV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    If you have a cast iron guarantee that the job is protected in the future it might be worthwhile. If it's only a vague promise I'd forget it; you're working for nothing, actually losing money and getting more stress in the process, why would you do that? 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    Additional responsibility and hassle for no extra reward seems a bit cheeky. Saying that, I'd take it and reconcile the lack of extra money with the future value of adding to your CV. I'd also plan on using that value to move on to a job that does reward its people for extra responsibility asap.
  • boogieman said:
    If you have a cast iron guarantee that the job is protected in the future it might be worthwhile. If it's only a vague promise I'd forget it; you're working for nothing, actually losing money and getting more stress in the process, why would you do that? 
    Nothing is guaranteed, I'm just nervous as I know we have 2 major contracts up for renewal this year and the rumours are not good, ultimately I'm pretty confidant if we lose our biggest contract, in August, I'll be asked/offered a position with the new contract holder ( it's how this game works, mostly the same lads on the same stores year after year only the uniforms change)
    and as a team leader I may be able to wrangle a better package from the new guys. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    ultimately I'm pretty confidant
    I'm all for following one's dreams, but I think you might be aiming a bit high, given your predecessors in that role: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6f/05/80/6f0580fdb96a4fe3f2231d46401a3a09.jpg
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    DLM said:
    ultimately I'm pretty confidant
    I'm all for following one's dreams, but I think you might be aiming a bit high, given your predecessors in that role: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6f/05/80/6f0580fdb96a4fe3f2231d46401a3a09.jpg
    He means you are a pretty confidante.

Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2017
    Job Bob Jovi
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Was he a jobsworth?
  • I'm a bit sad Jon has been sacked.

Was he a jobsworth?
    That was his surname. 

Jon Jobsworth. 
  • An update, I've spoken to two other 'lead engineers' from the North and South-West regions, they both got pay rises to take the promotion. 
    Fuckers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    boogieman said:
    Nothing is guaranteed, I'm just nervous as I know we have 2 major contracts up for renewal this year and the rumours are not good, ultimately I'm pretty confidant if we lose our biggest contract, in August, I'll be asked/offered a position with the new contract holder ( it's how this game works, mostly the same lads on the same stores year after year only the uniforms change)
    and as a team leader I may be able to wrangle a better package from the new guys. 
    Your talking about TUPE. It will make no difference to the TUPE regs if your a supervisor or not so long as at least 50% of your time has been spent working on that contract. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Promotion = more hassle and more responsibility with no financial incentive??? Not a chance.
    Negotiate.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    An update, I've spoken to two other 'lead engineers' from the North and South-West regions, they both got pay rises to take the promotion. 
    Fuckers.
    Sounds like they are trying to pull your chain in that case mate...

You could call their bluff - more money, or stay where you are. No free extra work.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I would stay well clear ..more resonsibility =more money...you will end up a scapegoat probably iff something goes wrong ..i dont know what work you do but being in charge sometimes dosnt mean better job prospects ..sometimes it can be the opposite..