Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Job question. ( formerly Jon)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Don't increase your workload/responsibility without financial reimbursement ... unless you're wanting to leave anytime soon (better job title looking better on a CV and all...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16134
    Lot of glass -half-empty comment here ....speculate to accumulate and all that ......stuff and nonsense
     Embrace the elevated responsibility and commitment ......be thankful of the opportunity ,prove your worth and then DEMAND a suitable remuneration for your efforts .You can always leave if it is not forthcoming.
      Don't adopt the factory floor mentality of expecting a pay rise because somebody trusts you to reach higher than low hanging fruit. Keep your powder dry and take commercial advantage when the time is right . That's the business man's mentality.
  • Dominic said:
    Lot of glass -half-empty comment here ....speculate to accumulate and all that ......stuff and nonsense
     Embrace the elevated responsibility and commitment ......be thankful of the opportunity ,prove your worth and then DEMAND a suitable remuneration for your efforts .You can always leave if it is not forthcoming.
      Don't adopt the factory floor mentality of expecting a pay rise because somebody trusts you to reach higher than low hanging fruit. Keep your powder dry and take commercial advantage when the time is right . That's the business man's mentality.
    Then what do I do if they say no? 
    After all they have no incentive to increase my basic pay if I've been doing it for the same money.
    Also doing some calculations I'd be roughly £2-3k worse off per year, by losing out on overtime 2 days a week. 

My my only option then is to leave, which would be a shame as I really like this job. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • I think I'm going to sit back and watch, I like my job, it pays reasonably well, if we lose the big contract I'll get TUPE'd across anyway, but staying here till Aug I may get rewarded with a better package to stay. 

They might reconsider after all and offer more money. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Dominic said:
    After all they have no incentive to increase my basic pay if I've been doing it for the same money.
    Also doing some calculations I'd be roughly £2-3k worse off per year, by losing out on overtime 2 days a week. 

My my only option then is to leave, which would be a shame as I really like this job. 
    Can't you mention that and see if they will find a solution?  More pay or overtime?

Do you fancy a bit of a change?
    Would you enjoy the new role?
    Where do you want to be in a few years?   will this help?

• SporkySporky Frets: 28569
    Dominic said:
    That's the business man's mentality.
    Indeed. It suits the business owner very well.

It's a daft approach to being an employee though. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    Dominic said:

Can't you mention that and see if they will find a solution?  More pay or overtime?

Do you fancy a bit of a change?
    Would you enjoy the new role?
    Where do you want to be in a few years?   will this help?

They know, they don't seem to be concerned. 
    Ultimately im really looking for stability and job security while I raise my family.

its nice not having to phone agencies and deal with all that bollocks. 
  • Btw to give context. 
    I'm an electrician working for a large independent company working with some large commercial retail contracts.

mainly lighting, but all aspects of commercial electrics.  

Lots of oncall and long days.  
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1110
    They know, they don't seem to be concerned. 
    Ultimately im really looking for stability and job security while I raise my family.

its nice not having to phone agencies and deal with all that bollocks. 
    A job is only as secure as it's notice period, or even less if you get made redundant and marched off the premises!

If you rely on the overtime for funds then taking on extra responsibility for no pay isn't worth it imho.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    As you don't seem to have resolved this here is my serious answer:

1. The pay issue
    Would you take this job at another company for this money? It is not always about the money.
    If not your reasonable opener is to reimburse your overtime losses or any percentage that works for your work life balance/ alternatively get an overtime agreement.
    Factor in the costs of recruitment if they don't take you minus replacing your old job- that is your golden hello value.

2. The get out clause.
    You can do the job for six months with an option to return to you old position.
    Six months down you can renegotiate/ go back/ stay on whilst they recruit/ get knocked back.
    This depends on trusting your employer.

3. The worst case scenario.
    You might find you are moving into a unique position with a unique job title and a new unique level in the heirarchy.  This makes you open to role redundancy: they do away with your position, there is no safety in numbers or need to justify you vs them. That's right, it's a trap! 

4. Job security.
    Electricians have 'trade security'. There will be market for them albeit subject to market forces.  You won't starve and won't be out of work - worst case  (short-term) is self-employment. Worst-worst case is house bashing.

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    ^^^^ i would be very concerned about no 3 ..im an electrician same as you and i have seen this happen...TBH i wouldnt even think about it you will leave yourself wide open for lots of things..
  • Told them I'm removing myself from the application, got an email saying they are disappointed especially as they haven't even discussed the role with me at interview. 

I replied I've spoken to someone in the prospective role and my line manager outlining the responsibilities l, pointed out I wouldn't take on more tasks for a drop in pay. 

Either they say fair enough, or they might offer something. 

Lets see. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12403
    Standard management practise isn't it? Fancy sounding job that means doing more for the same or less money. They are trying it on mate.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"