Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So - will I regret it if I buy a Helix?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Not really - 90% of the time we use our own PA and I have a DXR120 that I use for monitors, or backline at really small gigs. We did an outdoor gig at a festival last weekend and I just went direct and got some guitar back through my monitor and it sounded great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Yes, I'm finding there is room in music for all sorts of tones, including Helix generated, amp generated, and standalone effects generated.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    Ah shit. Don't know what to do. Packed up Helix has been sitting in my car all day but I can't quite bring myself to post it. I really am a useless human being.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ah. Just discovered that I mis-read my tax return and instead of owing HMRC money, they in fact owe me money! Has that ever happened in the history of the universe? I think this is God telling me to keep the Helix.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    Ah shit. Don't know what to do. Packed up Helix has been sitting in my car all day but I can't quite bring myself to post it. I really am a useless human being.
    Ah. Just discovered that I mis-read my tax return and instead of owing HMRC money, they in fact owe me money! Has that ever happened in the history of the universe? I think this is God telling me to keep the Helix.
    So...you're a useless human being, but god/HMRC loves you?

Yep. Keep the Helix.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jesus loves us all. :)
    n'shit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, great news indeed!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • 997Hz997Hz Frets: 0
    edited August 2017
    Looks like L6 have been busy bees...so its soft but its another choice of how to go or between both.

http://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    997Hz said:
    Looks like L6 have been busy bees...so its soft but its another choice of how to go or between both.

http://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html
    There's a 13 page thread here ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110124/helix-native#latest
    Mixed messages from God tonight. On the way home my clutch cable snapped.

What can it mean?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    Mixed messages from God tonight. On the way home my clutch cable snapped.

What can it mean?
    Mood swings.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm thinking he's trying to stop me drive the helix to the post office.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    did you notice that charidee shop close by when your clutch cable went? ;-)
  • Well, it's packed up again to be returned. I know - I need psychological help  =)

I think I'm never going to be 100% happy with the modelling and I just don't have the time to dedicate to do the tweaking I need to do to get the best out of it. I'm just getting frustrated with the whole thing and the window for me to return it is closing.

I guess I can always pick another one up later if I want to try again.

I don't really regret it - it was good to give it a go.
  • Fair enough

Digital isn't for everyone.  If you need a consistent sound through a PA, and a silent home recording option, you could consider a reactive loadbox/impulse loader thing, and then use your normal amp and pedals

• Well, it's packed up again to be returned. I know - I need psychological help  =)

I think I'm never going to be 100% happy with the modelling and I just don't have the time to dedicate to do the tweaking I need to do to get the best out of it. I'm just getting frustrated with the whole thing and the window for me to return it is closing.

I guess I can always pick another one up later if I want to try again.

I don't really regret it - it was good to give it a go.

Did you ever watch the fremen patch demo's on youtube? They sound amazing (well some do at least) and they're definitely on my shopping list! Wowa wowa woo'eee!
  • Yeah they do sound good. It's really easy to get good sounds out of the Helix. I suppose my problem is I only need a basic guitar tone, a boost/overdrive, a wah, some delay, some chorus, maybe some phaser and reverb if I'm feeling adventurous. So I find that having millions of options is an irritation rather than an advantage. I can't settle on anything - I just want one good amp sound...and what I find is, no matter which one I choose I end up preferring my real amp. So then I wonder - what's the point?

I would like to be able to replace 3-4 stomps with a single stomp and that's easily done with the helix...but it requires having a patch based approach (or snapshot based) and for that you need to have your basic sounds baked in. And I never get to that point...I'm always tweaking. That's true of my real amp / pedalboard setup too but it's much easier to do - I don't have to go through all my patches changing one parameter in each patch.

I dunno - I think you either enjoy tweaking setting on these units or you don't. I just find it hard work.

• I dunno - I think you either enjoy tweaking setting on these units or you don't. I just find it hard work.
    I just play mine. *shrug*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I'm currently putting together a nano plus board for times when the Helix might not be suitable (like yesterday at a beer festival where rain was blowing in on the stage).    So i'm back looking at effects and it is proving a bit of a head ache choosing what to have and what fits, power requirements etc.  Also the price is spiralling.  In contrast, I find just using the Helix so much easier.    Tweaking is limited to the basic changes any venue would need and i'm pretty much living with one or 2 pedalboards I set up when I got the thing months ago.  So i'm the opposite, I really should tweak more, because I could probably get more out of it, but I don't feel I need to just because the options are there.

But anyway, good luck with your pedals, at least you gave the Helix a go!