Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So - will I regret it if I buy a Helix?

What's Hot

Comments

• I don't have to go through all my patches changing one parameter in each patch.
    Just correcting myself - I think with snapshots if you change a parameter, it changes in all the snapshots, so you don't have to go through each one and change it (if you want more treble on you amp, say). I think that's right (?).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I don't have to go through all my patches changing one parameter in each patch.
    Just correcting myself - I think with snapshots if you change a parameter, it changes in all the snapshots, so you don't have to go through each one and change it (if you want more treble on you amp, say). I think that's right (?).
    You can have a parameter change for all snapshots, or if you press the parameter knob before moving it it only changes that parameter for the current snapshot.  This allows you to, say, have the same amp with different gain/EQ on each snapshot, or not whichever you prefer
  • John_A said:
    I don't have to go through all my patches changing one parameter in each patch.
    You can have a parameter change for all snapshots, or if you press the parameter knob before moving it it only changes that parameter for the current snapshot.  This allows you to, say, have the same amp with different gain/EQ on each snapshot, or not whichever you prefer
    Yeah, that is very cool.

Aw, man...
  • So I took this to the post office this morning, only to be told they had someone off sick and wouldn't be open until 11. Then I got invited to a meeting at 11 and at the same time got an email from Royal Mail saying my postage label has been refunded (I sent them an email last time I decided to keep it asking if they did refunds...and they obviously just went ahead and actioned it).

It is God, isn't it?

:)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited September 2017
    @gearaddict ;Yes, it is. 

Do you really need to concern yourself with all the other bits? I have hundreds of things I could do with the Axe FX (I explore them occasionally), but it speaks volumes that I only have and use 3 very basic presets 99.9% of the time. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited September 2017
    So I took this to the post office this morning, only to be told they had someone off sick and wouldn't be open until 11. Then I got invited to a meeting at 11 and at the same time got an email from Royal Mail saying my postage label has been refunded (I sent them an email last time I decided to keep it asking if they did refunds...and they obviously just went ahead and actioned it).

It is God, isn't it?

God doesn't exist. It must be Morgan Freeman.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit
    @gearaddict ;Yes, it is. 

Do you really need to concern yourself with all the other bits? I have hundreds of things I could do with the Axe FX (I explore them occasionally), but it speaks volumes that I only have and use 3 very basic presets 99.9% of the time. 
    Totally agree.  I'v ehad my Helix a year (interest free finance just finished :)), and gigged it for most of that using a single preset consisting of a JCM800 at three gain stages and a few pedals.  I'm only just starting to add a few more to cover some specific songs. It's the fact It sounds great and is so easy to set up at a gig that's the main attraction, not the fact it can do a million things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    @gearaddict ;Yes, it is. 

Totally agree.  I'v ehad my Helix a year (interest free finance just finished :)), and gigged it for most of that using a single preset consisting of a JCM800 at three gain stages and a few pedals.  I'm only just starting to add a few more to cover some specific songs. It's the fact It sounds great and is so easy to set up at a gig that's the main attraction, not the fact it can do a million things.
    Not just that - you have many more options in terms of connections and control than you would with an amp rig. Don't fancy taking your amp? Go direct. Not enough volume from the stage? Run direct and to your amp, and just bolster the sound by turning it up in the PA.

Even better - want a clean sound that's just as loud as your lead sound sometimes, but not all the time? Not a problem. Doing that with a traditional rig, you'd have to buy more pedals and cables.

It's those little tweaks that you can do trivially with a modern modeller that you'd just never bother with on a traditional setup, because they're too much of a pain in the ass.
    <space for hire>
  • If I unpack it *again* my wife will divorce me...or worse, look at me with pitying disdain.
  • Gotta say, though, I do love the tale that's unfolding here. It genuinely seems like the crash scene in Bruce Almighty...
    <space for hire>
  • I've done a few of these...it's something of a trademark. 
    Right - let's get to the bottom of 'will I regret buying a Helix'

What do you do, play at home, gig, record, all of the above?
    What's your current set-up
    How long have you had it?
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike about it?
    What's your dream set-up? and Why?

More Q's to follow

• John_A said:

More Q's to follow

LOL - guitar gear therapy. Awesome :)

- Mostly pub gigs and practice for pub gigs. Not much at home and no recording.

- Valve amp into 2x12 cab - Wah, couple of drives and phaser up front. In the loop, chorus, delay, volume boost, sometimes tremolo.

- the details have changed but it has been more or less the same for 13 years or so.

- trouser-flapping rock tones out of the 2x12. Sustain on tap. Pedal wise, I'm a bit of a whore but I have stuck with the GCB95 Switchless wah (having to click a toe switch is too much multi-tasking), my Danno transparent overdrive v1 and my Marshall Echohead delay - I think it sounds really good.

- too much heavy stuff to move about. Too many cables to organise. Too much tap-dancing. I suppose I feel like my sound is a bit same-y...not enough variation.

- Oh probably a full stack with either triple rec or H&K Triamp goodness...maybe with a JC120 for cleans :) Your basic Metallica/Rush fanboi setup =)
  • out of noseyness...what is your "valve amp" ? Methinks that kind of set up is not going to be beat by any modeller any time soon. I might try my Helix at a rehearsal, maybe even gig with it a time or 3. But I can't imagine it ever taking over from my regular approach..pretty much same as you. For me the Helix is going to be a home studio/practice toy. (famous last words n all that..).
  • John_A said:

More Q's to follow

LOL - guitar gear therapy. Awesome :)

- Mostly pub gigs and practice for pub gigs. Not much at home and no recording.

- Valve amp into 2x12 cab - Wah, couple of drives and phaser up front. In the loop, chorus, delay, volume boost, sometimes tremolo.

- the details have changed but it has been more or less the same for 13 years or so.

- trouser-flapping rock tones out of the 2x12. Sustain on tap. Pedal wise, I'm a bit of a whore but I have stuck with the GCB95 Switchless wah (having to click a toe switch is too much multi-tasking), my Danno transparent overdrive v1 and my Marshall Echohead delay - I think it sounds really good.

- too much heavy stuff to move about. Too many cables to organise. Too much tap-dancing. I suppose I feel like my sound is a bit same-y...not enough variation.

- Oh probably a full stack with either triple rec or H&K Triamp goodness...maybe with a JC120 for cleans :) Your basic Metallica/Rush fanboi setup =)
    There's no telling you if you don't fancy the Helix, but that's such a basic bunch of needs (including the dream setup) that the Helix would absolutely be your best bet. I mean that with no disrespect. Buy yourself a really cheap Yam DXR10 (x2 for a bit of stereo goodness) and live life! 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    out of noseyness...what is your "valve amp" ? Methinks that kind of set up is not going to be beat by any modeller any time soon. I might try my Helix at a rehearsal, maybe even gig with it a time or 3. But I can't imagine it ever taking over from my regular approach..pretty much same as you. For me the Helix is going to be a home studio/practice toy. (famous last words n all that..).
    Various over the years...currently I have an Orange TH-30 and a H&K Switchblade 100. First proper valve amp was a DSL-50 which I gigged for a few years until it died. Would probably still have it if it had lived. :)
  • that's such a basic bunch of needs (including the dream setup) that the Helix would absolutely be your best bet. I mean that with no disrespect. Buy yourself a really cheap Yam DXR10 (x2 for a bit of stereo goodness) and live life! 
    That's the thing though...it's so basic maybe the helix just adds a complication that's not necessary. I suppose I had hoped I might be able to take the valve amp out of the equation but I suspect I probably won't end up doing that.
    - Mostly pub gigs and practice for pub gigs. Not much at home and no recording.  +1 for you need a helix, stops you carting a heavy amp around and you can set-up in 5 minutes

- Valve amp into 2x12 cab - Wah, couple of drives and phaser up front. In the loop, chorus, delay, volume boost, sometimes tremolo.  +2 Easily replicated with a Helix + more flexibility when you need it 

- the details have changed but it has been more or less the same for 13 years or so. +3 time for a change :)

- trouser-flapping rock tones out of the 2x12. Sustain on tap. Pedal wise, I'm a bit of a whore but I have stuck with the GCB95 Switchless wah (having to click a toe switch is too much multi-tasking), my Danno transparent overdrive v1 and my Marshall Echohead delay - I think it sounds really good. -1 the tones will be there, the trouser flapping wont be

- too much heavy stuff to move about. Too many cables to organise. Too much tap-dancing. I suppose I feel like my sound is a bit same-y...not enough variation. back up to + 3, cables gone, lifting gone, variation in spades ( you dont have to use it all this week)

- Oh probably a full stack with either triple rec or H&K Triamp goodness...maybe with a JC120 for cleans :) Your basic Metallica/Rush fanboi setup =) +4 You can have all of this AND use it at the Dog n Duck
    So Yes, you need a Helix in your life, the only negative is the lack of trouser flapping, which if you really want it at the expense of lugging more gear around you can have that too
  • :)

I was thinking I would probably still need the amp and cab to be honest...even if only for monitoring...plus I'm not sure how I will get on with going direct...that's very much an unknown for me atm. What I had been doing with the HD500X was going to practice just with that and a Magnum 44, then using whatever cab was around. One issue with that was I really struggled to get any sustain going.