Drunken ebay RYRA Klone - UPDATE - noisy and horrible?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
edited February 2017 in FX
I was out with mates on Friday night and woke up on Saturday morning feeling like hell and checked my phone - 'congratulations you have won this item'

Logged onto my ebay and indeed, I had one an auction for a Klone! I remember putting a frivolous max bid in but it didn't reach it and I am sure I still paid over the odds but hey ho, I should have a nice new pedal to play with this week!

Will it play nice with my OCD? I was thinking this:

TU-3 -> SP compressor -> OCD -> Klone -> Carbon Copy -> HOF mini -> amp

Obviously the Klone is a different beast to the OCD but I want to use the Klone for lower gain rhythm stuff and bluesy licks and the OCD for chugging and soaring leads...

Cheers!

---UPDATE---

I took delivery of the Klone today and plugged it in. What a sack of cr@p it sounds with even the tiniest fraction of gain. If ever there was a time to use the 'wasp in a jar' phrase - this is the time to use it. All depth goes out the window and it sounds like some octave fuzz on a very basic multi-fx unit. For reference I am using a JVM-1C with a decent clean tone. 

Right...

With no gain and treble and volume at 9 o'clock it sounds lovely on a clean setting and really does something nice. However it is a noisy bugger. Kick in the OCD and the noise really is unbearable. This is at London flat volume and the noise is really really bad. God knows what it will be like with my usual amp at rehearsal levels. Nothing has changed with my power supply/patch leads. I just put it in place of my tuner.

The low-mid thickness does sound lovely though the OCD but I cannot stand the noise. Is this just a foible with the Klone or have I got a dog?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Was that the purple one? I've toyed with getting a RYRA, but I'd have to let the Tumnus go if I kept it. They both sound great.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Kylef said:
    Was that the purple one? I've toyed with getting a RYRA, but I'd have to let the Tumnus go if I kept it. They both sound great.
    Yeah it was, there was also a seafoam green one up for buy-it-now - that one has gone now too.

I'm looking forward to having a play with it!
  • Luckily for me.....when I do a drunken ebay search, I seem to only buy strings! And not pedals or (heaven forbid) guitars.
  • I saw these two on ebay! They brought me out into a cold sweat!!
    mine sounded bloody great with my old TS-808. Sounds bloody great with my Hotcake and just about anything I put after it. As a clean boost it adds that so called sparkle...

I'll get slated for this but it really is that good. On it's own as an overdrive it sounds wonderful... I had to stop myself from purchasing a second one. Prepare for plenty of knob tweaking action as you can get so many sounds from this pedal.
    I saw these two on ebay! They brought me out into a cold sweat!!
    mine sounded bloody great with my old TS-808. Sounds bloody great with my Hotcake and just about anything I put after it. As a clean boost it adds that so called sparkle...

I'll get slated for this but it really is that good. On it's own as an overdrive it sounds wonderful... I had to stop myself from purchasing a second one. Prepare for plenty of knob tweaking action as you can get so many sounds from this pedal.
    That is good to hear. Did you always have it before other drive/distortion pedals? Hopefully it arrives in time for a rehearsal at pirate studios next weekend :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did experiment with the RYRA in front of my other drives but for some reason preferred the sound of it before everything else... it seemed to push my drives in a really nice way!
    I use it as a clean boost,  gain set to zero, treble about 2 o'clock,  output about 10/11 o'clock... everything sounds nice

See update in OP - not a happy chap!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    never had any issues with either of mine...doesnt sound right at all
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    also after reading the OP properly i ended up only using it as a clean boost, the gain sounds were good but the clean boost was stunning
  • The klone I tried wasn't noisy, but the actual gain is pretty raspy. It's supposed to go into a dirty sound I think. I preferred other trusty drives, but plenty love the klone thing. It was nasty into a clean amp though. 

As a clean boost, it's alright but again I prefer others things that are a bit different. 

If yours is noisy it may have a dirty switch or a dodgy jack socket? 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Sounds like it's buggered to me... mine exhibits none of these undesirable traits.
    The klone I tried wasn't noisy, but the actual gain is pretty raspy. It's supposed to go into a dirty sound I think. I preferred other trusty drives, but plenty love the klone thing. It was nasty into a clean amp though. 

As a clean boost, it's alright but again I prefer others things that are a bit different. 

If yours is noisy it may have a dirty switch or a dodgy jack socket? 
    Raspy is a great way of describing it. 

I dont think its the jack sockets or switch - it's more of a white noise (like a radio between stations). 

The clean boost thing does sound good - what other pedals should I be considering? EP booster? 
  • I think youve got a dog or perhaps a real mongrel - my fredric effects klone is stupid good - as a boost , mild overdrive n beyond ; low noise floor - into clean and overdriven amps. 

Send it back 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Other pedals you should consider are another non-borked RYRA, mate. I've had two and they sound nothing but sublime, with no such issues.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    Hmm. A Ryra clone maybe? Haven't tried one myself but would like to. Or any Klone for that matter.
  • Such are the pitfalls of buying pedals on eBay, I just don't do it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Doesn't sound right, maybe it's a counterfeit of a Klone!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Really sorry to hear about your RYRA troubles, definitely shouldn't sound like that. We've got really old terrible electrics and wiring in our house, dimmer switches etc which normally causes all types of hassles with my effects/amps/guitars.
    The RYRA sounds suprisingly brilliant under those circumstances. Probably worth getting in touch with the seller.
  • dindude said:
    Doesn't sound right, maybe it's a counterfeit of a Klone!

Sadly, this is possible. 
    I'm going to have a thorough play around with it tomorrow but I have a feeling it's a pointless task.