Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to buy a new guitar wthout the wife knowing

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Ooooo.... Dramatic Gun Cock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    How about this:

- Just marry somebody who won't complain.
    Combined with

- don't buy too many guitars.
    woah, woah, woah!! I was with you right up to "combined with" the next bit made no sense
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Join a covers band, save the money you are paid until there's enough to buy what you want and then tell your wife all about it without lying. Works every time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Take her somewhere where there is sand, of she don't exchange for a camel, then you're fooked. I mean seriously.  Seriously?  You have a massive penis, I don't get the wife thing man.  Be a man and nike.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sambo you seriously need to get laid. Or sober. Or both.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike_l  please don't fix the sambostar :(

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @mike_l  please don't fix the sambostar :(

He's beyond fixing, just needs to get laid or summat.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• How about this:

Good luck with that. We all want to matry that person.
  • How about this:

Good luck with that. We all want to matry that person.
    I did. It just took a few years for her to realise she wasn't a complainer.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10322
    My wife was looking on swaps and sales on Facebook yesterday when she muttered " Harley Benton Bigtone Vintage" to herself.I asked her what she was on about and she showed me a post for someone who was selling one for £120.Even though I've got more guitars than I could ever need,she said go for it because she liked the look of it,only for me to decide I don't need another guitar.

I think I may be broken.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • My wife is not fussed so long as my music income pays for the stuff I want to buy. She also doesn't mind the constant buying and selling so longs as I don't make a huge loss. From stuff I've bought and sold on here I'm about 150 gbp down over 3 years.

That said I don't buy big stuff without discussing it first. Been a few arguments on the way as clearly it's herd to see why anyone "needs" 7 guitars.... and I tend to agree. 

But if I need something to help me make money then she is supportive - so I just bought myself a vocal monitor for acoustic gigs as better vocal performance should translate to more repeat bookings. It all pays for itself.

If this was just a hobby I'd have 1 electric, 1 acoustic and helix. I just wouldn't be able to justify any more.

However, now we have two kids and higher rent in the new flat - I think my buying days are over for a while.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    edited February 2017
    The article is probably supposed to be humorous but basing a relationship on lies? Really? I considered a long post about not buying stuff when I had small kids, a big mortgage and the wife worked nights in a warehouse (yes a warehouse...) But it's best summed up as...

Be an adult. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slacker said:
    The article is probably supposed to be humorous but basing a relationship on lies? Really? I considered a long post about not buying stuff when I had small kids, a big mortgage and the wife worked nights in a warehouse (yes a warehouse...) But it's best summed up as...

Be an adult. 
    Being fair, the article is (mostly) about how to get around it without lying.

Interestingly, I've never lied to my wife about how much a guitar cost, although she's never believed me...mostly because she's never told me the truth about how much her shoes and handbags cost (except by accident). I've said this before, but we once totted up the total cost of her handbag and shoe collections, and it dwarfed even the new value of all my gear now, which is twice what it was back then.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Mine just rolls her eyes and says "oh, ANOTHER one you've wanted for ages & always dreamed of owning and will never sell, eh??"
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14335
    tFB Trader
    more than once I have had a situation whereby the customer will trade in say his Mex or Jap Strat for a more deluxe USA version - but had to be the same colour so she would never notice

equally had to show a far lower price on the receipt
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Me and my partner have been living together 17 years or, but not married. I just say "I'm thinking of buying another guitar", she just rolls her eyes, laughs and says "another one!". She's even once or twice has encouraged me, when I've been umming and ahhing, telling me "oh just buy it".

As long as I'm paying my share of bills e.t.c don;t see a problem. Can't imagine being in such disfunctional relationship where I'm not allowed to spend my money on stuff and my other half acts like my mum. Grow a pair or find a wife/partner who respects you and treats you like an adult maybe?  :s
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Same for me - honestly, I had this for 25 years, sneaking gear in. Getting lots of (unfounded) restrictions on budget, 'did I need that' etc.

Really put me off guitars to be honest.

Got divorced.

Have a girlfriend who fully understands that they give me pleasure, I can sell them at maybe 10% loss if it comes to it and as long as it doesn't become a collection when I just have boxes of them and don't play them - we're good.

In the past year I've made up for lost time and now have a bit of gear (including the latest the wonderful DC Les Paul I got off here yesterday) which works for me and I'm enjoying playing more than I've ever done.

It's made me so much more relaxed.

I've done all these sneaky scams over the years, best thing - be honest, if they don't like it - there are other problems.

• I'm in favour of "get a reasonable wife, and don't spend money you don't have on gear you don't need" approach. 

I'm currently in sell off mode to fund a couple of big purchases and I know that MrsF is absolutely fine with it as long as I'm not filling the house with crap or paying over the odds for stuff that's just flavour of the month and will be discarded within a year.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6217
    tFB Trader
    How about this:

everyone has their limit..... although my wife is pretty good at humouring the hobby.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    How about this:

everyone has their limit..... although my wife is pretty good at humouring the hobby.
    Yeah, but you now have the business as justification surely? Gotta field test those pedals!