Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to buy a new guitar wthout the wife knowing

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    You get a mistress and get it sent to hers...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The article is probably supposed to be humorous but basing a relationship on lies? Really? I considered a long post about not buying stuff when I had small kids, a big mortgage and the wife worked nights in a warehouse (yes a warehouse...) But it's best summed up as...

Be an adult. 
    I have no kids, wife doesn't work, I pay rent and expenses plus she owes me money. I'm the adult yet still have to justify my expenditure to her.

Everyone's situation is different so we may as well keep it humorous.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I manage the finances in our house. If I'm lusting over a guitar my partner says "just get it, it's your passion!" This is why I manage the finances....!

Also I know she is gathering evidence of me treating myself, to be used against me in the upcoming Argument About Why We Should Get A Dog.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Ok - to lighten the mood, what I've done successfully in the past a few times.

Buy cheap guitars, it almost doesn't matter what - you're aiming for good resale values but not too expensive.

Keep doing this, until you're reaching Bonamassa levels.

She get's pissed off at the space, you say you're right - I've got a problem, I'll sell them all and just have one or two good ones.

You sell them (think of them as a savings plan), and top up a little and boom!

Pedals are easy, down the trousers and straight up stairs

And also - buy things with the lowest number of lights you can, sparkly things attract their attention

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slacker said:
    The article is probably supposed to be humorous but basing a relationship on lies? Really? I considered a long post about not buying stuff when I had small kids, a big mortgage and the wife worked nights in a warehouse (yes a warehouse...) But it's best summed up as...

Be an adult. 

Its not about lies etc  its not something thats going to rock a marriage to the core. 

A hell of a ,lot of Women will probably never understand GAS, and why should they, we all know its silly and unreasonable but that doesn't mean we should get an earbashing for every purchase, 
    so this is a viable thread,
    the Dad brigade need to go to another thread....probably about sunburst les pauls / telecasters and how to not have a sense of humor. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6216
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    How about this:

- Just marry somebody who won't complain.
    everyone has their limit..... although my wife is pretty good at humouring the hobby.
    Yeah, but you now have the business as justification surely? Gotta field test those pedals!
    trust me there is still a limit, albeit the bar has been raised significantly :)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What about buy her an equal value in things she likes?

Many wimmins are also hoarders for some things... shoes, knickers, make up, shiny geegaws for the shelf, or if the wimmins is like my sort of wimmins,  tools, guitars, computers and (proper) headphones ... as well as clothes and boots...

Just ... bend the truth on the actual value when buying equal values... if you buy a £3000 guitar it might not be a great plan to buy £3000 of knickers and shoes as you might run out of house to fit it all in.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2253
    slacker said:

Be an adult. 

Its not about lies etc  its not something thats going to rock a marriage to the core. 

A hell of a ,lot of Women will probably never understand GAS, and why should they, we all know its silly and unreasonable but that doesn't mean we should get an earbashing for every purchase, 
    so this is a viable thread,
    the Dad brigade need to go to another thread....probably about sunburst les pauls / telecasters and how to not have a sense of humor. 

I'm 54 so that's Grandad to you. Oh and leave my sunburst LP out of it. 

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1542
    My gear collection has decreased quite a bit in the years since getting married and having children. I couldn't justify these days getting a piece of kit on the fly. Whether it was affordable or not. Having said that, I currently have an order in for a couple of amps that my wife doesn't know the cost of, but are being (almost) entirely funded by selling off gear (my Marshall 30th Anniv combo, Palm Bay, PodXT), saving £2 coins is terramundi (yes, really - taken about 4 years but there's nearly £1k in there) and selling off other gear (woodworking stuff). So, I can justify to myself, and my wife knows my intention to upgrade my TVP 15 amp at some point.
    As far as the guitars go - I've built a few, and that is as much of a rewarding hobby as the actual playing. And a helluva lot easier to justify to both myself and my wife.

adam.
  • I was going great guns until my missus photographed my guitars and used to compare the photos weekly. Busted twice because of that :p
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    1. I've paid the mortgage for the past 23 years
    2. Mrs A's side project is a lot more expensive that mine (4 kids)
    3. Mrs A no 1 is under the patio

Any questions?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:
    What about buy her an equal value in things she likes?
    Sod that. I buy my own junk, so she can pay for hers :D

In all seriousness, my wife's been pretty good about all of this for the last 12 years or so (the first five years of our relationship, we had many issues). Her perspective is, "The bills are paid. You worked hard for the money, so spend it however you want."

I realise I'm quite lucky that way.
    <space for hire>
  • Who was it on here that bought a guitar, took it to bits then emerged from the garage weeks later with "look what I made from all these parts I had lying around!
  • How about this:

Dude the non whinging woman ain't been created yet, believe me I know.
  • How about this:

Obvious, rational and straightforward, you are not playing by the rules here, we as men, reserve the right to present our chosen woman with our balls, and then complain about it later to other fellow oppressed brethren. 

As the major breadwinner and protector of my family I have chosen to emasculate myself rather than face the untold horror of being responsible for my actions and decisions. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    I have a good customer in the Bristol area who always visits the Birmingham Guitar Show and nearly always buys something - last year he didn't buy - got back home from the show and his wife, 1/2 expecting him to have purchased a guitar, was surprised and queried the fact that he purchased no guitar - However on his way home he had stopped at a Lotus dealership and purchased a car -
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    My Wife has an even more expensive hobby, so cant saying NUFFIN' if I buy something I want :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**