Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Fretboard banner

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q said:

I don't want to be a banner moaner (Bamoaner?) but a guitar in the box on the left and a guitar sitting on top of the word Fretboard?

I know you can't have too many guitars... but it's too many guitars.

Yep. I think we've all agreed that the box on the left can go. I'll sort that out tonight.

Looking at what we got from the designer, I think I screwed up - the box is meant to be an icon, not part of the logo itself.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I opened this thread thinking that we had a new Moderator.

Logo is OK but I agree with @ICBM about the '90's guitar look.   Will that negative comment get me bannered?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    Updated thoughts:
    Ditch the square logo, it's too much and the guitar shape looks a bit crap.
    Ditch the '.co.uk' from the name logo,  it's unnecessary and looks stuck on.
    With those things gone,  increase the overall size of the remaining logo to have more impact as it could stand or more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    Updated thoughts:
    With those things gone,  increase the overall size of the remaining logo to have more impact as it could stand or more.

The square's going, but I think we'll stick with the ".co.uk" because it means that wherever the logo appears - screenshots, mugs or t-shirts - it a) is the same, and b) removes the need for us to put the address separately. I do see what you mean, but the combination of practicality and consistency wins out.
    <space for hire>
  • What does the guitar in the logo weigh...? 
  • What does the guitar in the logo weigh...? 
    Not a lot. It's made of pixels.
    <space for hire>
  • DiscoStu said:
    Updated thoughts:

The square's going, but I think we'll stick with the ".co.uk" because it means that wherever the logo appears - screenshots, mugs or t-shirts - it a) is the same, and b) removes the need for us to put the address separately. I do see what you mean, but the combination of practicality and consistency wins out.
    There is a thefretboard.com in existence so you need the . co.uk.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I'm aware of the .com fretboard, but as a header our logo doesn't need the .co.uk because if you can see the logo then you've already typed the correct address and are on the right site!
    Clearly for promotional purposes the full address is required, I just think the way it's been done in the header looks amateur. The whole thing looks amateur to me but rather than rip it apart I'm trying to think of ways to improve what we have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    I'm aware of the .com fretboard, but as a header our logo doesn't need the .co.uk because if you can see the logo then you've already typed the correct address and are on the right site!
    Clearly for promotional purposes the full address is required, I just think the way it's been done in the header looks amateur. The whole thing looks amateur to me but rather than rip it apart I'm trying to think of ways to improve what we have.
    I'm with you. Yes, once you are on the site it is redundant on the header and would be tidier without it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    DiscoStu said:
    To be fair, removing the square and the .co.uk would make it tolerable.

Just about :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Here's my idea. Cleaner, bigger.

http://i.imgur.com/G7PACAM.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited February 2017
    DiscoStu said:
    Here's my idea. Cleaner, bigger.

http://i.imgur.com/G7PACAM.jpg

+1 , I logged in to make the same comment. Ditch the logo at the left and the .co.uk, and it looks a lot more like 2017 instead of 1999. I would also reduce the size about 35%.

Nice design though once tweaked. 

• What header? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    I may be biased here as I am a professional web developer after all, and I desperately feel for anyone launching a new look - it's the quickest, most guaranteed way of discovering that everyone else ever is also a professional web developer :)

I think the site looks fine.  The logo's clean and memorable, and the .co.uk has to stay if it's going to be used elsewhere.  And who could blame them for wanting to make a bit of cash by getting the name out there?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    How about putting the .co.uk vertically (I.e. at 90 degrees) against the back of the last "d" of fretboard so it's all in line.
  • I'm quite happy with the logo.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I think it looks a lot better but agree with the idea to lose the box - just the fretboard.co.uk looks great. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited February 2017

hotpot said:
    vale said:
    hotpot said:
    Nice job on the new header design.

hey hotpot, how did you get your dark background? is that your browser or a site preference?
    i use a mid-tone raspberry background for word etc (special) but would be nice here too.

I use an add on with firefox called 'colour that site'. I have to change the white background colour on this site (a few others too) because looking at it on my 30" monitor is like looking into a searchlight.

I have three other PC's with different colour schemes for this site.
    I get around it a different way - I use Redshift to automatically alter the colour balance of my monitor throughout the day.
    thanks for tips hotpot & digitalscream, will try both & see how it goes. wasn't suggesting inflicting it on others. am sure most would far prefer the black on white. i'm just one of those brightlights&loudnoises (too much information/stimulation) makes me edgy types.

as for intrinsic merits of the new logo, i'm another awkward fucker like icbm (yo, respect @ICBM !) & actually (ideal world) think i prefer the last one because it was bolder & darker.
    but then when i tried to picture the last one in my head in detail after it had gone, i couldn't & had to search it in google to remember.

so if coming up with something immediately memorable was a driver for seeking a new design then maybe the new one will work better on that level, even if it does seem a bit lightweight as a graphic to some.
    & congrats to digitalscream & the team for doing the update in a way that meant the site didn't go offline or go mental in the process. artfully done people.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017