Evanescence - Fallen (first album)

What's Hot

Comments

• nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    Fallen is indeed a great album.  
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    Wife is a huge fan. I think theyre alright but Amy Lee is only an average singer at best. Even on their biggest hit there are stacks if really dodgy vocal edits presumably ti cover fluffed takes. Live she also doesnt attempt some notes or just misses them.

Some great songs though  cant deny that. 

Apparenlty she has released a kids album recently.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28369
    Amy Lee is only an average singer at best
    She struck me as being like a typical drunk karaokeist - belting it out with plenty of volume but no refinement whatsoever.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Sporky said:
    Amy Lee is only an average singer at best
    She struck me as being like a typical drunk karaokeist - belting it out with plenty of volume but no refinement whatsoever.
    I've always thought she has quite a fragile voice - that's what I like about it, and I think what gives a lot of the character to the music and makes them better than just your average rock band. The problem is that she does try to push it too hard, and then she can't pitch it properly - there's some quite painful stuff all over even their official live releases, let alone the earlier demos and bootlegs… and I'm a fan of 'expressive' pitching too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Each to their own. Like poison to my ears personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited March 2017
    I bought a used copy of this album a couple of years ago, and I agree. I remember hearing Bring Me to LIfe, Everybody's Fool etc on Kerrang growing up - good stuff.

I'm due to update my music on my phone over the weekend. I'll put this on.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Dopesick said:

Never got the hype tbh. Just seemed like a Poundshop version of Lacuna Coil.
    I was aware of Lacuna Coil but had never listened to them. Now I have, a bit.

Meh.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    ICBM said:
    Dopesick said:

Meh.
    Indeed...I quite like some of their music, but he should really stay away from the mic. Cristina Scabbia's not a terrible singer, but she doesn't really convey any emotion, so it's very "meh" for me.
    <space for hire>
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Scabbia is actually brilliant live. The bloke is dreadful. Both Lacuna Coil and Evanescence are a bit Fisher Price. Lightweight to say the least.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    ICBM said:
    Dopesick said:

Meh.
    This.

Lacuna Coil are very meh. There's maybe only one song of theirs that I enjoyed. When they put something new out, I do always at least try to listen to it in the vain hope that the dude will not sing, or, that they'll go above "average"

Really, they're dull as dishwater.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    If you are going for heavy bands with female vocals I much prefer the likes of Jex Thoth ad Devils Blood. 
    Darker and more souful, so may not appeal to those that like the more polished approach.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    I like some of the earlier Lacuna Coil stuff a lot. I thought and still do that Comalies is a great album.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    Reverend said:
    If you are going for heavy bands with female vocals I much prefer the likes of Jex Thoth ad Devils Blood. 
    Darker and more souful, so may not appeal to those that like the more polished approach.
    I like the first Jex Thoth album, but I often feel the songs, and the rest of the band, don't quite match up to the quality of her vocals.  But I do think the combination of heavy(ish) music with female vocals really works - some of my favourite newer bands are Mount Salem, Royal Thunder, Blood Ceremony, Black Moth, Alunah, Ruby the Hatchet, Witch Mountain and Windhand.  Probably one or two others I've forgotten.
    Other than Blood Ceremony, those bands are not in the same league. 
    Played with Jex in Germany and the US and they are absolutely spellbinding in a way few others can hope to achieve. They are also very good olayers. The Ossuary demo shows how good Nick and Matt are as players. 
    The Devil's Blood were the best by a very long way. Jex and Blood Ceremony are the best of those around now though.
    Ah well, you get to see them up close, I don't.
    Shared dressing rooms as well.
    Trouble, Jex,  Orodruin and us.
    edited November 2022
    Just revisiting this thread because I picked up a copy of The Open Door - the second album, the first post-Ben Moody - in a charity shop yesterday. I had never heard the full album, but was put off by the lead single 'Call Me When You're Sober'.

It's going back.

Fallen is still a masterpiece though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Just revisiting this thread because I picked up a copy of The Open Door - the second album, the first post-Ben Moody - in a charity shop yesterday. I had never heard the full album, but was put off by the lead single 'Call Me When You're Sober'.

It's going back.

Fallen is still a masterpiece though.
    Wow, threadnomancy...!  I have to say I like all the albums, although the first is the best.
  • Absolutely brilliant , got the live Cd & the open door album too.
      Saw a band from up north  similar and got their album but can’t remember the name but absolutely awesome too . Got the CD but am not at home at moment 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2410
    I’m a fan of Evanescence and really like their first three albums, but not so keen on their latest release. Though when I saw them live in Sheffield a few years ago, during their Synthesis tour, I found Lee not particularly engaging – as much as I like her she stood on the stage in a world of her own barely looking at the crowd. I’m due to see them and Within Temptation next month. Sharon den Adel, it has to be said, has a beautiful voice.