Evanescence - Fallen (first album)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    Might be an unpopular opinion but I really like their Synthesis album. The sound design elements on that album are great while retaining the quiet verse / loud chorus rock dynamic. In the rare situations where I am comparing speakers or earphones it is one of my go to albums as covers a lot of ground.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited November 2022
    Bungle1 said:
    Might be an unpopular opinion but I really like their Synthesis album. The sound design elements on that album are great while retaining the quiet verse / loud chorus rock dynamic. In the rare situations where I am comparing speakers or earphones it is one of my go to albums as covers a lot of ground.
    Having read this and a couple of earlier posts I've now downloaded both the self-titled 'Evanescence' album and Synthesis. Admittedly after only one listen, perhaps surprisingly I quite like Evanescence - I think it's a better and more varied album than The Open Door - but I'm not as keen on Synthesis despite having some of the songs from Fallen (as well as the other albums) on it... it sounds like it's 'trying too hard', if you know what I mean.

Edit... after several listens to all three albums - no. I just can't get into this at all. It's all very superficial, overly bombastic and there just aren't any very strong songs. I'm not normally a great follower of the typical "their first album was good, but they haven't done anything else worth listening to since" thing that seems to be said about a lot of bands, but here's the exception that proves the rule.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    The latest album 'The Bitter Truth' is worth checking out too, probably 4 songs on there that hold up to the rest of their catalog for me.