Brands that succeed despite being shite...

What's Hot
18910111214»

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Christ on bike how many posts about mtm shirts vs off the peg? And they say Rock n' Roll is dead?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    scrumhalf said:
    Smiths are hearing the distant sound of the death rattle.

Printed reading material is no longer the market it was, they have had to change their business model. I was in one of their larger high street branches the other day and found that half of it was a post office.
    ie. They are changing their business model!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited July 2017
    Anyone mentioned Marks & Spencer?

Now if there's a brand that's the equivalent of a plain old soufflé, then M&S is it.

Their men's clothes? Dont make me laugh!

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Used to work for Wetherspoons, from 1999 to 2002, IIRC, and the food wasn't bad, to be fair, but of course at that price as you say a lot of it was pre-cooked and merely heated up on-site.
    Also used to work at one ('98-2000) - what was often entertaining was the expectations that people had for the money - "Seriously, you're getting table service with a burger, chips and a pint of Fosters for less than a Big Mac Meal and you're complaining that you can't have the burger cooked medium-rare?!"

My favourite was a lady who was insistent that something being on the special's board meant that it had to be cooked fresh to order. I explained that, common to everywhere else in the Universe it meant that it was stuff that wasn't on the regular menu, and that she probably wouldn't want a lasagne cooked fresh to order, as it would take around 2 hours to do (more if we needed to steep an onion in the milk overnight to make the bechamel. I'm not sure my knowledge of classic French cookery impressed her - my CBSM (?) scores weren't always the highest...

Re Wetherspoons in general, my theory (based only on anecdotal evidence) is that the nicer/more expensive the town, the rougher the 'Spoons is, because a higher price differential from local pubs will attract those who are more "price sensitive" in their drinking habits.
  • fandango said:
    Anyone mentioned Marks & Spencer?

Now if there's a brand that's the equivalent of a plain old soufflé, then M&S is it.

Their men's clothes? Dont make me laugh!

The clothes their men have do not make you laugh.  I didn't expect that to be a major consideration of the M&S uniform dress code.  

Maybe a circus is the place for attending a place where staff may be subjected to a comedy dress code?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28337
    Snap said:

indeedy

There are a few things you need to watch for with these though

Exploitative labour - usually, the clothes are made in Asia. Some of the online mtm firms will be transparent on where they are made and what the labour rates are, but not always.

Suits - glued or canvassed/half canvassed. Glued suits arent' worth the money, they lose their shape, and they are made in a very cheap and sloppy way. You can check the canvassing by pinching the jacket near the buttons or chest area- if the whole jacket comes with the pinch, in one piece, its glued. If you feel the top layer of the jacket come away from a liner, its canvassed, or half canvassed, so much better, and better value.

The canvassing check is a must for an off the peg IMO. If its over a couple of hundred quit, and not canvassed, its over priced.

mtm shirts are a great thing too!

I don't mind the tyrwhitt/lewin etc slim fit or extra slim shirts. If they are in a sale for £20, can't argue. Full price though? Mental
    All good points. Tailor Store own their own mills and have an ethical employment statement, and the suits are canvassed, not glued.

I got a Tyrwhitt shirt recently - they'd sent me a voucher and it was a sale too. Took them longer to get me a pre-made shirt than Tailor Store take to make and ship one, and even though it was extra slim fit (and I'm not mad-skinny) it was still like wearing a tent. The arm joint is particularly bad - too much material so when you raise your arms it pulls the shirt out.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

I got a Tyrwhitt shirt recently - they'd sent me a voucher and it was a sale too. Took them longer to get me a pre-made shirt than Tailor Store take to make and ship one, and even though it was extra slim fit (and I'm not mad-skinny) it was still like wearing a tent. The arm joint is particularly bad - too much material so when you raise your arms it pulls the shirt out.
    Have you tried tucking your shirt into your pants?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28337
    No. That's the sort of thing that Nigel Farrage would do.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4637
    WHS used to be the distributor of nearly 80% of newspapers in the UK.
    i'm surprised to still see them on the high street to be honest
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sporky said:

My ol.d boss had similar issues with sleeves on his shirts, he ended up having to wear elasticated sleeve grips. His successor was (is) a bit of a twat so had to get the same sleeve grips

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)