Brands that succeed despite being shite...

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    edited February 2017
    Gassage said:

Sorry you are just wrong. Like really wrong.

Example: Roundabout junction in wet, with ruts on road. Accelerate and you'll be torque steering like a dingy in the ocean. Horrible.

Second, lose a front wheel drive car and you've lost it totally. Rear wheel, add power, and let the car come back to stability.
    You have to be kidding. Watch any number of BMW drivers make a total nuisance of themselves in snow. Add power and the car goes anywhere except where they want it to.

You either want FWD, or if that doesn't give you enough grip and control, 4WD is *always* better - unless you just enjoy driving with the risk of control loss because you think it's fun. If you're accelerating hard enough on a roundabout that you're in danger of losing control then you're driving like a idiot.

It would be interesting to know the relative accident rates for RWD cars as a proportion of total numbers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4735
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Sorry you are just wrong. Like really wrong.

Example: Roundabout junction in wet, with ruts on road. Accelerate and you'll be torque steering like a dingy in the ocean. Horrible.

Second, lose a front wheel drive car and you've lost it totally. Rear wheel, add power, and let the car come back to stability.
    You have to be kidding. Watch any number of BMW drivers make a total nuisance of themselves in snow. Add power and the car goes anywhere except where they want it to.

You either want FWD, or if that doesn't give you enough grip and control, 4WD is *always* better - unless you just enjoy driving with the risk of control loss because it's fun.
    I had a very nice 4WD 911 - a 964 Celebration.  It was total and utter shite in the snow unless you fitted winter tyres.

On one occasion, I couldn't even start to move as the system detected wheelspin and cut the power and, even better, at one time I found myself stationary with all 4 wheels rotating (which shouldn't happen).

Even something as sophisticated as a Range Rover or Bentley GT will be shite on summer tyres in the snow.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    rlw said:

I had a very nice 4WD 911 - a 964 Celebration.  It was total and utter shite in the snow unless you fitted winter tyres.

On one occasion, I couldn't even start to move as the system detected wheelspin and cut the power and, even better, at one time I found myself stationary with all 4 wheels rotating (which shouldn't happen).

Even something as sophisticated as a Range Rover or Bentley GT will be shite on summer tyres in the snow.
    And a RWD on the same tyres will be even worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    ICBM said:

It would be interesting to know the relative accident rates for RWD cars as a proportion of total numbers.
    Or the rates for diesel-powered RWD cars. The humanity.

;)
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    in snow and ice

4 x 0 = 2x 0

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    Robinson's beer
  • Robinson's beer
    Robinsons do beer? I thought it was just fruit & barley water.
    No wonder Britain hasnt got any good tennis players.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jamie Olivers Italian restaurants 

utter utter shite 

This. I assumed it would be good, but fuck me, I was left wanting. Legendary meat plank? It was a few slices of meat on a plank, with a chilli and a bit of cheese. Expensive and a bit shite. 

I vote beats headphones. Utter wank. 

Slightly left field, but nikon's dx range, of which I'm a user. Amazing cameras, but they've completely neglected the lens line up. Sigma has a couple of designs that absolutely support the dx system, but nikon seems hell bent on pushing people from an amazing crop sensor camera to a less usefully spec'd full frame. Which is doubly as daft when they have such useful crop sensor kit... I wish I'd hung with fuji, and if given the chance to swap... Well. 

Rox said:
    Dyson, unreliable, heavy, gimmick based products, if their design dept was as good as their marketing dept, they would be world beating. 
    If the Dyson style vacuum had been invented first, someone else would have invented the vacuum with the bag.  Covering yourself in dust every time you empty the bastard thing is the most stupid design flaw ever.  But people think it's brilliant.

More mess when you empty isn't better - it's worse!

I wouldn't go back from my Dyson, it's magic. And I definitely don't get covered when I empty it - it just falls into the bin. Every now and then the filter needs cleaning but it hoovers really well and it's lightweight and maneuverable. 
  • Danny1969 said:
    crunchman said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Microsoft's Office brand. Truly awful software that is complicated to use.
    Agreed ... how the hell did they persuade millions of people they couldn't write a letter without spending £60 a year on office 

They didn't.

In the early days products like Lotus were copy protected when Office wasn't.  They got the whole world hooked on it and then started copy protecting it and making people pay through the nose.
    Yeah but even the basic Microsoft Write included in Windows 1.0 has more features than people used to write real letters ... then Wordpad included from Windows 95 onward's expanded on that and was included completely free. 
    I spose I see the average guy claiming he needs MS Office to write the monthly Bowling club news letter a bit like someone claiming they need Protools HDX to do their podcast audio :)

I had to use word for a cv because I submitted one formatted in an open source editor (can't remember the name but it's a popular one) and they didn't recognise the file type. 

Fucking joke. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited February 2017
    This thread's really put me off my Dyson.

I'm tempted to put it in the classifieds - it's just gathering dust....
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Donald Trump
  • This thread's really put me off my Dyson.

I'm tempted to put it in the classifieds - it's just gathering dust....

I'll trade you 30 packs of eb slinkies. 

Guaranteed to not sound dead for at least 30 minutes. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    Robinson's beer

I don't mind a Dizzy Blonde, when I can get one...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16162
    We paid about double the price of the norm for a fancy Anti - Kink garden hose because I am a very busy gardner with a vast array of summer bedding that needs daily watering and walking back 30 meters every time i need to unkink the hose is a real bore ........it really stuck in my throat ;the cost of a rubber tube but I bit the Bullett .
     Guess what / the bastard thing is no better than any other cheap hose and kinks frequently . I want to stab it !
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Wetherspoons

Nintendo

Boss

Schecter
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Double post but:

Ryan Air
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    Don't get the problem with Wetherspoons, it is what it is - cheap food, real ale, Tim Martin makes a lot of money so lots must like it.

Wouldn't go there for haute cuisine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Arsenal
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6172
    Spam ffs. How is it possible for something so disgusting to still be so popular?

It's the English version of Surströmming  :s
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27248
    edited March 2017
    Nintendo?!?!?

Get out! They've made some of the very best games ever, and if the previews of the new Zelda are to be believed, still do.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom