Work expenses meal rates

What's Hot
bob21bob21 Frets: 170
We're currently having a bit of a 'discussion' at work about the rate the company pays for subsistence - those of us on the road feel it's rather low, those holding the purse strings seem to think it is fine!

Currently we get £8.50 a meal, which is atrocious (but apparently in line with HMRC - though I note these changed last year, and am sure these rates haven't been updated since before then). £8.50 doesn't buy you much other than McDonald's for dinner - and whilst I don't mind a Big Mac every now and then, I resent being forced into it too often!

So, for those of you who travel for work - how much does your employer pay for a meal?

If you're happy to say, I'd also be interested to know what industry you work in.

(Give me some ammunition people!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28571
    £25, which can include booze but must include food. The standard installer dinner is therefore some chips as as much Stella as they can get for the rest.

I am in the audio visual integration industry.

There's a bit of leeway if you're staying somewhere with restricted options; I got away with £55 at a trade show, and if I'm taking a customer out then it's notionally £75 each but with a pat on the back for underspending.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    My company seems to have similar ideas to Sporky's company. Around 25 quid, maybe a bit more within reason.

£8.50 is a shocker. Do the management have shares in Ginsters or something?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    My employer is $50, €50 or £35 depending on what currency you're paying in.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28571
    Normally if we're staying away it's a Premier Inn, so £25 gets you a substantial meal and a few drinks at the attached pub.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    Terrible, isn't it! Ironically, most decent size meals at (motorway services) Burger King, which is pretty much the only option that you can stop a van at between london and the warehouse, cost over £8.50! 

Traditionally there has been a loophole in the rules, that applies different limits to the company credit cards - but this loophole has just been closed, hence the discussion about it now!
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    £20 or so for me i think.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    edited March 2017
    Breakfast - whatever the cost of the hotel you're staying in on the Company booking scheme or £5 if not

Lunch - £5

Dinner - £20 including alcohol as long as you get it with your meal

I never struggle with this at all but make sure I use it especially for the evening meal if I'm out on the road.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27648
    Whatever i spend.

Though it is *my* company.
    :D

If I'm charging the cost on to a client, I'll generally cap it at £25.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Similar to most others (though we don't have set amounts at current place) - I wouldn't go much above £25 for dinner (inc a drink or two) or a tenner for lunch (normally a bit less).

Have worked with some ridiculous policies in the past though - advisory hotel rates that are 20 years out of date (e.g. £60 for a major capital city, £40 outside), or the place that said I couldn't expense EUR2.50 for a coffee and a croissant for breakfast after I declined to pay 15 for the same thing in the hotel.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

30 euros per meal for me, if im working away from the office (usually Germany, Holland or Italy). We get a nightly hotel budget of 95 euros, and if breakfast is included in the hotel rate, we still get to claim back the 30 euros.

I work for a large Electronics Distributor.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118

No limit. Just expected to keep things reasonable.

Projects & Purchasing Manager

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    8.50 is nothing. Where are you usually? I know in London it's difficult to get lunch for less than £10 if you want a proper meal. 
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    @olafgarten ;
    Mostly London, increasingly Birmingham - all either metropolitan areas or sometimes motorway services (also notoriously expensive for things not of the McBurger King variety)..
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5539
    edited March 2017
    When I was Sales Executive for a lens manufacturer and away from home most of the time my old company had a £30 per day discretionary rate including drinks, the idea being not necessarily to spend that each day but also not to buy a Pot Noodle then blow the rest on beer. Eating out twice a day can soon add up especially if you're repping in big cities. Or eating in the hotel restaurant!

I would limit myself to £5 for lunch, and quite often I'd just get a supermarket sandwich meal deal, leaving me £25 for dinner and a couple of beers. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Nothing when I drove patient transport ambulances. 12 hour shift and you'd be lucky to get alloated a lunch break anyway! 

Then again being a coeliac and fructose intolerant it was too bleedin difficult to manage in the end so packed it all in!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Does this mean I can claim my lunch back off HMRC because I'm self employed?  Didn't think so eh.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5539
    Sambostar said:
    Does this mean I can claim my lunch back off HMRC because I'm self employed?  Didn't think so eh.
    Yeah, you can claim it as expenses if you keep your receipts.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Wow, I never knew that, not that I take a lunch break as such, but twenty Sovereign black, a bottle of Dr Pepper and a mars bar and a hot fatty sausage roll from the garage do add up over the year
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Even £20 can be low if you are staying In nice hotel. Get in late and you want glass of wine and a meal you may find it is not enough.
    I'm on $75 a day.
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    £25 quid for evening meal, no alcohol.