The price of vans is a con!!!

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
I won't do a retread of why, but I need a largish vehicle for work and personal use. Currently have a Ford Galaxy with the rear seats taken out, its long in the tooth and will let me down so I'm looking for a replacement.

Now one of the vagaries of government policy is if a business/tradesman/sole proprietor buys a vehicle they are entitled to claim a capital allowance against the business use proportion, but for a van you can claim 100% of the cost in the first year, no restrictions, a vehicle that has 'car' on the logbook you can claim 18% write down per year IF and only if its emissions are below 130g/km. If its above this then its 8% per annum, i.e you will never get to claim it all. So government are actively encouraging the purchase of a diesel (whe  was the last time you saw a petrol or electirc van?)

However, and this is the conspiracy, van prices are higher, by as much as 20%, than the equivalent car (yes there are some, Ford Tourneo Connect vs Ford Connect Combi and VW Caddy Maxi Life vs VW Caddy Maxi Kombi), EVEN though the equipment/trim levels on the van version are well below the car version.

For instance this is the cheapest (on VW's own used sales, there are very few other places that advertise Euro6 Caddies) Euro 6 VW Caddy Maxi Life, £16k

and this is the cheapest (discounting those in Inverness!) Caddy Maxi Kombi, £18k

this is the cheapest Euro6 Ford on Autotrader (where most of them are advertised) £15k

Cheapest Long wheelbase EU6 combi van on Autortrader (there aren't many) £16.8k

What the F**K is going on???? Why would anyone pay more for a lesser product? the level of trim in each case is thousands of pounds less for the van!! and they are bloody basic inside.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2589
    tFB Trader
    are vans hand wired, that might be it.....

or that they are not mass produced to the same extend as cars....

or that the primary market is business owners, who they feel they can rip off a bit more than the general public

good luck in your search
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Yeah but they have exactly the same number of valves!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    Certain parts of you average van are larger, stronger and dearer to produce than the equivalent on a car. Things like suspension, steering, stub axles, gearbox etc. Even the engine while very similar to some car engines is designed slightly different in terms of compression and loading and basically made stronger to pull loads

Basically your average 3.5 ton van is designed to work it's bollocks off carrying it's own weight for 150K. Your average car has a much easier life. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Transit bare Chassis Cab 2017 = £23k odd.  Tipper body = £2000 odd.  Transit lasts 4 years before rotting out.  Great value.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    The price of vans is a con!!!

So....if I con you...you give me a van?

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I thought this thread was about canvas footwear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Certain parts of you average van are larger, stronger and dearer to produce than the equivalent on a car. Things like suspension, steering, stub axles, gearbox etc. Even the engine while very similar to some car engines is designed slightly different in terms of compression and loading and basically made stronger to pull loads

Basically your average 3.5 ton van is designed to work it's bollocks off carrying it's own weight for 150K. Your average car has a much easier life. 

show me a 3.5t payload car!. No the examples I've shown you are almost identical vehicles. Small vans with small payloads. 
    The biggest bargains about are lorries and HGV Tractor units, new they are gazillions, used and not current Euro emissions and you can pick them up for half the price or less than a Transit that is twice their age.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited March 2017
    Vans are certainly lumpy things, mine is plated at 3850 kg and is run fully loaded almost all of the time. Chunky dual circuit front brakes and a sizable 2.8 litre 4 cylinder turbo engine. Not much finesse about it though, take the coach work off it and there is not much left!  But I agree with the OP, I recon they are pricey for what they are.

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2107
    I priced a VW transporter combi... same thing, insanely expensive. The Transit Custom wasn't as much but still pricey. They're quite lifestyley though. Is it the same with the smaller Caddy etc? I decided not to bother and checked out used Defenders... fook me, they've gone up in price massively since they stopped production. I'm just sticking with what I've got for now. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    hywelg said:

However, and this is the conspiracy,

@siraxeman is your man for this!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Budgie said:
    I priced a VW transporter combi... same thing, insanely expensive. The Transit Custom wasn't as much but still pricey. They're quite lifestyley though. Is it the same with the smaller Caddy etc? I decided not to bother and checked out used Defenders... fook me, they've gone up in price massively since they stopped production. I'm just sticking with what I've got for now. 
    Yes T5's are ridiculous. But they are more a lifestyle vehicle for outdoor sorts, surfers, windsurfers, mountain bkers etc and the premium is huge and the level of internal trim is dire, they still sport exposed wheel arches in the Kombi. The new Merc Vito is hugely superior and cheaper, 'tis a very nice van indeed. If my car hangs on for another two years I might well go for one of them. The EU6 engines only came out in July 2016 so theres precious few about s/h at sensible money.

edited March 2017
    Thats more like it. Bit unfair tho' the transit didn't have any tyres.......

If they'd taken the tracks off the tank it would have been fairer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16126
    Wow a  semi relevant Sambo video
    he is right about the premature rot in Fords 
    and Yes I think Vans are absurdly priced for what they are compared to cars .............BUT WHY ?
    ANSWER -because bastard manufacturers thrive on the fact that the majority are bought by Companies and Municipals where the money is spent a lot easier than by individuals........
    Think tha's bad ..........wait til you compare the price of insuring one v cost of car insurance.........same story
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24840
    Sorry - I thought this was another shoes thread.

As you were....
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    It's all about supply and demand. Especially since you're looking for something Euro 6, lots of people will be after that nearly new bargain van, whereas there will be much less demand for a van kitted out as a car.