2»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Wait till you try insuring the van!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:
    Wait till you try insuring the van!

Yep. Premiums can be eye-watering.

The broker I used to use... represented approx. 80 insurance companies - and only 2 would insure vans (regardless of age or history of the driver).  Of those 2.... neither would insure a van with a 2.5 litre engine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    There are only two underwriters that will underwriter the insurance on Transit tippers these days as far as I'm aware and I can only use one of them as it''s a grey import and I still think the brokers have conned me about the legality of it..  Used to be loads but 5 or 6 years ago they all left the market to concentrate on cars and stuff.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    Dominic said:
    -because bastard manufacturers thrive on the fact that the majority are bought by Companies and Municipals where the money is spent a lot easier than by individuals........

Anybody buying more than a few vans, will rarely pay anywhere near what an individual would pay.

One of the companies I deal with, the last batch of vans they got worked out at about 30% less than list price, and that included being kitted out with racking. Once you get into medium sized fleets and above, things become very competitive. We used to buy certain vans, run them for a year, and sell them for more than what they cost us.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1244

And it's probably worth mentioning, prices will be up even more due to the financial year end looming. Lots of sole traders/small companies will be looking to spend money to write of some profits.

If you're willing to wait a month or so, you'll most likely find prices will drop a bit.

• valevale Frets: 1052
    edited March 2017
    & they're mostly empty inside. a total rip off. like cornflakes.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Remember that companies buying vans reclaim 20% VAT on the purchase so the cost is a fith less to them than it seems also discounts to commercial customers can be greater than to he public.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    m_c said:

And it's probably worth mentioning, prices will be up even more due to the financial year end looming. Lots of sole traders/small companies will be looking to spend money to write of some profits.

If you're willing to wait a month or so, you'll most likely find prices will drop a bit.

No its been the same for a while, I've been looking for about a year and the only significant drop has been VW Caddy Maxi Lifes due to the availability of the Ford equivalent.

ESBlonde said:
    Remember that companies buying vans reclaim 20% VAT on the purchase so the cost is a fith less to them than it seems also discounts to commercial customers can be greater than to he public.
    But that still only brings them down to the same price as the car equivalent and for a much lower spec.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I'm not entirely sure I understand this but different rules apply to vans than cars  so there can be a significant benefit in having one as a company vehicle. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.