'Replica's , copies , fakes and friends

What's Hot

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12904
    impmann said:
    Frankly, the only folks I've ever really encountered who get so worked up about Chibsons/Fake Fenders etc is you lot. Seriously...

I think some of you need to calm down a bit, as there are worse crimes in this world!

Its possible to be perfectly calm about it and still think that its wrong.  Whilst there are obviously worse crimes in the world this is a guitar forum so funnily enough the crimes involving guitars are the ones we end up talking about. The entire forum is basically First World Problems (there are people literally starving every day and we're complaining that our ODs have slightly too much mid hump) so not really sure what your point is.

Without people perpetuating this market for replicas/fakes/tramps/thieves there would be significantly less chance of a naiive teenager blowing his first pay packet on a fake guitar, and whilst I can't say I'm particularly "worked up" about it I also don't think that's cool at all.

By all means have whatever logo you want on your own guitars---but selling them like that isn't on, in my book.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    I guess the point i have tried to make is if i buy it, for a price which is fair being what it is, and do not sell it, or if i do sell it for what it is at a price point that is relevant to what it is, does that make me a twat ? :-p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12904
    I guess the point i have tried to make is if i buy it, for a price which is fair being what it is, and do not sell it, or if i do sell it for what it is at a price point that is relevant to what it is, does that make me a twat ? :-p

In my opinion buying one and not selling it is ok (personally I don't see the point but that's a different story) but yes, selling one does make you a bit of a twat.  Take the logo off first.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    In case nobody noticed...

Yesterday the govt said they were increasing the penalties for copyright infringement.

Max sentence is going up to 10 years prison. (currently it is 2 years)
    Free the Terry Morgan One!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Ah, brilliant!! This old chestnut again! Woohoo!!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    miserneil said:
    Looks more mahogany than chestnut to me!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    edited March 2017
    The band name use us well out of order. I can't have much of an issue over the use of 60 year old designs bythirs parties though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Skipped said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you buy a "replica/fake/whatever you want to call it" off ebay. Then once it's arrived you report it to ebay as a fake (with sufficient evidence) even if it was advertised as such ebay will give you a refund and instruct you to destroy the item... how they verify the destruction I don't know.

I think it works like this.
    You buy a Replica on ebay. You then contact ebay and say "I have bought a counterfeit Les Paul made by (name of builder) but I suspect it was made by BobBurst".
    Ebay then say "We don't care who made it. It now has to be destroyed"
    You then destroy the guitar, and provide evidence....or you send it to the Copywrite owner (Gibson) who destroy the guitar and confirm to ebay. Ebay pay for Gibson to destroy the guitar.
    Ebay then refund your £7000.

Does anybody disagree?   =)

My mate bought a "Fender Custom Shop" Precision Bass a few years back on eBay. When it arrived it was a POS - cheap Chinese body, mini pots, $5 pup but a surprisingly nice neck. We got in touch with the seller in case it he was genuinely in the dark about it, even phoning him but he didn't want to know - the offer was to return at his expense after a full refund was made but he still claimed it was genuine and now not his problem.

Long story short - got in touch with eBay explaining it was a fake, they asked for written proof on headed paper from an "expert" that the guitar was fake - so I wrote a letter on "Gagaryn Guitars" or similar headed paper confirming its fakeness including a picture of the guitar dismantled as proof of its "destruction" and he was promptly refunded.

The owner then got back in touch asking for it back - but it was explained to him that that ship had passed and the guitar was now in pieces.

(PS -The guitar may now be back in one piece, (albeit with a new loom and pup) in my living room, with "Chinese Fake!!" scratched into the pickup cavity and control cavity - I still really like the neck on it!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    edited March 2017
    miserneil said:
    it's not old Chestnut, it's a fake!
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited March 2017
    Pssst anyone know where I can get a 'Terry Morgan' waterslide decal? ..........

...................."anyone got a match?"

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    That was a most amusing thread.

I live in a place where for many, walking miles to get get fresh drinking water is the norm, there is no free education and healthcare is an expense few can afford.

these are the sort of issues that I consider worth getting upset about.

According to your profile you live in Cornwall :grey_question: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667

I live in a place where for many, walking miles to get get fresh drinking water is the norm, there is no free education and healthcare is an expense few can afford.

Clearly you've never been to St Austell. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    In case nobody noticed...

Yesterday the govt said they were increasing the penalties for copyright infringement.

Max sentence is going up to 10 years prison. (currently it is 2 years)
    Free the Terry Morgan One!
    We have a winner!  
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    mburekenge I live in a place where for many, walking miles to get get fresh drinking water is the norm, there is no free education and healthcare is an expense few can afford.
    It's gone downhill since they lost the EU funding.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    Is this a bad time to mention that I saw a rather nice Rockinbetter in my local music shop at lunchtime? :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    edited March 2017
    impmann said:

According to your profile you live in Cornwall grey_question 
    Ahahahaha!

its since those up country folk started drinking our ale. Massive water shortage.

im from the Duchy, but currently reside in rural East Africa.

less piskies and giants, but we still have certain obstacles to overcome.
    Is this a bad time to mention that I saw a rather nice Rockinbetter in my local music shop at lunchtime? :)
    They kind of deserve fakes with their over zealous copyright protectionism.. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    get it @HarrySeven ;, lets get flamed together for owning shite forgeries :-p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    get it @HarrySeven ;, lets get flamed together for owning shite forgeries :-p
    I feel left out now.

Im off to find an Epiphony.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited March 2017
    Gagaryn said:
    Skipped said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you buy a "replica/fake/whatever you want to call it" off ebay. Then once it's arrived you report it to ebay as a fake (with sufficient evidence) even if it was advertised as such ebay will give you a refund and instruct you to destroy the item... how they verify the destruction I don't know.

I think it works like this.
    You buy a Replica on ebay. You then contact ebay and say "I have bought a counterfeit Les Paul made by (name of builder) but I suspect it was made by BobBurst".
    Ebay then say "We don't care who made it. It now has to be destroyed"
    You then destroy the guitar, and provide evidence....or you send it to the Copywrite owner (Gibson) who destroy the guitar and confirm to ebay. Ebay pay for Gibson to destroy the guitar.
    Ebay then refund your £7000.

Does anybody disagree?  

My mate bought a "Fender Custom Shop" Precision Bass a few years back on eBay. When it arrived it was a POS - cheap Chinese body, mini pots, $5 pup but a surprisingly nice neck. We got in touch with the seller in case it he was genuinely in the dark about it, even phoning him but he didn't want to know - the offer was to return at his expense after a full refund was made but he still claimed it was genuine and now not his problem.

Long story short - got in touch with eBay explaining it was a fake, they asked for written proof on headed paper from an "expert" that the guitar was fake - so I wrote a letter on "Gagaryn Guitars" or similar headed paper confirming its fakeness including a picture of the guitar dismantled as proof of its "destruction" and he was promptly refunded.

The owner then got back in touch asking for it back - but it was explained to him that that ship had passed and the guitar was now in pieces.

(PS -The guitar may now be back in one piece, (albeit with a new loom and pup) in my living room, with "Chinese Fake!!" scratched into the pickup cavity and control cavity - I still really like the neck on it!)

Just so I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, you took it apart, wrote a letter of proof from your own 'company' then got your money back, then reassembled it and kept it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom