Bought a new camera ! or NCD

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
This is for my travels, something small, and its tiny! It's not the latest and greatest but very well made, interesting tech inside with the hybrid viewfinder.  Lenses are solid metal which is nice and not that expensive on the grand scheme of things in the lens world.  Camera wise is the Fuji X-Pro 1, a few years ago these go for £1200, now they can be had for £250 which is insane.

Also got a custom brass button to give it a little texture and feel to the trigger, a metal thumb grip for better economic

Much smaller compare to my regular 5D4.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    I love a nice camera....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful, aren't they? 

I actually have regrets on going for a nikon system. For the same money, I could have had an xt1, a 56mm 1.2 and an x100s (okay, all second hand). That would, almost entirely, cover my needs and uses. Later on I'd get a super wide angle. 

They work so damn well, the lenses are incredibly sharp and the in camera processing is truly brilliant - you have so much control over the jpeg engine that you can use your own settings to output beautiful jpegs off the bat. Perfect for travel. The only reason I went for dslr was battery life and ttl flash... Turns out I only use manual flash anyway! 

I'd be interested to know if you've edited raw files in Lightroom from it? I've heard they used to be really slow to open and edit and results were a bit crap, but they've been around a while now and I wonder if Adobe has fixed that. 

Happy new camera day, dude! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Ray, you always take great shots mate, and that camera looks gorgeous !

For the first time in many years, I find myself camera-less... today im tempted to try a Olympus Pen F
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Very nice.  :)

I actually have regrets on going for a nikon system. For the same money, I could have had an xt1, a 56mm 1.2 and an x100s (okay, all second hand). That would, almost entirely, cover my needs and uses. Later on I'd get a super wide angle. 

have you tried the Fuji system though? I went through a x-Pro1, xE2, x100s, x20 and xF1 before I came to the conclusion the Fuji system is not for me so as always best to give one a go before thinkiing you went for the wrong system..

x-Pro 1 easily one of the best looking cameras ever tho...
  • Ray, you always take great shots mate, and that camera looks gorgeous !

For the first time in many years, I find myself camera-less... today im tempted to try a Olympus Pen F

Mate, these are ace. The lenses are astonishingly brilliant too! They have some great primes, and they're truly tiny - I tried one with a 14-40mm zoom and it was Diddy but super sharp, and then I had a go on a 17mm prime which was basically invisible but took great shots. 

Again, I went nikon because I had a couple of lenses but had I traded in, I probably would have gone mirrorless, probably fuji but m4/3 would definitely be a consideration as it's so small I could fit an extra flash and even a compact light stand and collapsible brolly in my backpack extra to what's already in it. I tend to only really use two or three focal lengths too... 

Bah humbug! Great camera though. The autofocus on that and the Panasonic gx80 is the fastest autofocus I've ever experienced too... 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited March 2017
    Immediately, the X-Pro 1 feels solid in the hand, ergonomic wise is a bit too small for work.  Hence the thumb grip otherwise it will be dropped, often.

The Auto Focus on it is not fast, both to change the AF points and to lock focus.  The Viewfinder is interesting but if you are used to optical and used to 100% coverage and seeing the exact position, this will be weird because it is shifted off to the left.  Doing the EVF on this, there is a noticeable lag and its dynamic range on the EVF and the LCD at the back is not as good as the Canon.  It makes images look over exposed when it's not. 

@Wazmeister The Olympus Pen F is micro 4/3? The sensor in the Fuji are a larger, and for that money, I'd look into the Fuji X-T2 or the Fuji X-Pro 2 which has better AF, better EVF and LCD.

For a not as nice photo, as they are all in the photo....other cameras also arrived, but they are not as pretty.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

have you tried the Fuji system though? I went through a x-Pro1, xE2, x100s, x20 and xF1 before I came to the conclusion the Fuji system is not for me so as always best to give one a go before thinkiing you went for the wrong system..

I have done, yes. I loved the handling of them - although, I must admit, I'm a bit weird in that I really like the Sony a7 line... 

That said, I really liked the Panasonic gx80 too. There were some controls missing for me, but nothing deal breaking. I'll admit I completely dismissed m4/3 and have no reason why - it's matured into a brilliant system, and other than some low light events I tend not to need to jump above iso 1600 often at all... So sensor size is irrelevant to me (if I want uber out of focus stuff I go 6x7). M4/3 also has the best ratio (2x3 always seemed a bit panoramic to me, 4x3, 5x4 or 6x7 are what I tend to like - but maybe that's my film past haunting me). 

Don't get me wrong, my slr is fab, but it's a bit bulky and missing the wide prime. If someone offered me a fuji, Sony or 4/3 set up with two good, fast primes and spare batteries (and dual card slots), I'd give them my setup in exchange and be very happy. But if I was doing weddings? Maybe not. And I suppose I may have weddings in my future so... 

We are lucky where we live in an age where anyone can have a truly class camera in their hands and the choice really comes down to personal wants and needs. 

@RaymondLin it's a great camera for holiday snaps I reckon. Can't believe how affordable they are now, even considering the niggles. 
    Beautiful, aren't they? 

@RaymondLin it's a great camera for holiday snaps I reckon. Can't believe how affordable they are now, even considering the niggles. 
    I can live with the niggles for "snaps".  instant AF is not make or break on a holiday, size is more crucial.

My half case arrives today to add that extra slight size  and also means I can place it anywhere on the ground without worry damaging it.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27007
    Brilliant stuff. I still love my XT1 even though the real camera nerds are now fawning over the xt2. 

The best eat thing about Fuji is the lenses, which all work on everything :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Great choice... I happen to know two pro photographers who actually are official FIA photographers for ELMS/WEC (European lemans series, world endurance championship).  They swear by their Fuji XT's
    mr-mac said:
    Great choice... I happen to know two pro photographers who actually are official FIA photographers for ELMS/WEC (European lemans series, world endurance championship).  They swear by their Fuji XT's
    I personally wouldn't use Fuji for pro work, it's missing a few crucial things like a great flash system, lens choices, bokeh effect, battery life.

I believe given the choice, I can create better images with the Canon.  Don't get me wrong, I think I can use Fuji to create great images but I can do better with my Canon set up.
    edited March 2017
    Bokeh effect?????? What like an effect you apply... The lenses are superb there ia no issue with their Bokeh Ability.

not sure you need a flash for their work.  And you honestly sure you can create better images.

Anyway wasn't on about someone swapping systems.  Just the wee Fuji produces amazing results good enough for Pro's who are in charge of media company doing photography for FIA and travel the world producing official images for those fia series inc Le Mans 24 and they have done for a good number of years ;)
    edited March 2017
    mr-mac said:
    Bokeh effect?????? What like an effect you apply... The lenses are superb there ia no issue with their Bokeh Ability.

not sure you need a flash for their work.  And you honestly sure you can create better images.

Anyway wasn't on about someone swapping systems.  Just the wee Fuji produces amazing results good enough for Pro's who are in charge of media company doing photography for FIA
    Bokeh - it is simply physics that a 35mm FF sensor at 1.2 create a shallower DoF vs a 1.5x cropped sensor even with a 1.2 lens.  Same as a MF camera can create really shallow looking images with 2.8.

Flashes, Canon has wireless ETTL control with 1 single flash over like 50 off camera at the same time, in zones.  I have 4 of them and I use these at weddings.

Also, there is no TS/E on a Fuji, there is no 14mm/1.8 from Sigma that is coming out, the lens choices (for Auto focus) is just lacking for my work.

As for job titles and FIA and what not, I am sure they need to be good to be there, but they mean nothing to me and like I said, they can do the job, I just think I can do better with a Canon.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    As I said I ain't trying to get you to change system.  Just backing up fact that you made a great choice in system for purpose which I know a number of (high end) pro's are using and are delighted with.

I do understand about Bokeh but for 99% of purposes there is plenty for most creative purposes.  Yes there will always be a case where someone will choose a certain system for a specific purpose or use.  Doesn't mean other is bad.  And like I say didn't say to actually swap systems.  just thought extra recommendation is useful for others reading looking for Dslr of this type.
    edited March 2017
    One of Jeff's
    I am not going to switch because as I stated, Fuji has its shortcomings.  As a viewer, you might not notice but as a user, I do and that matters to me.  I don't think Fuji is there for my work, it might be there for other people and that's fine.

im sure Fuji can take great images but I'm saying...I can do better with a Canon all things (conditions) being equal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oneof John's :)
    Ok fair enough... still don't see why the point of keeping canon for your work comes into me saying I think the Fuji range is an epic wee Dslr that is of a quality pro's can and do use... You use cannon for your work for a very specific set of reasons as certain tasks and subjects dictate.  But for other people who don't need them no reason Fuji isn't just as capable and highly recommend xt pro, and the other compatible bodies in range.  Considering it myself