Bought a new camera ! or NCD

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27013
    THe XT1 is the perfect size for me. It feels chunky in the hand without being big. Takes a little getting used to if you're used ot a big DSLR, but it's fantastic when you get used to it. And having all your controls on labelled dials is brilliant. 

And the live histogram in the EVF! I'd forgotten that was even a thing but it's fantastic. Just everything about the EVF basically. 

Anyway, go try one :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    I don't find the X-T1 chunky, I find it too short actually as I am used to having my hand gripping the camera hence I'm getting the half case.  Which to the camera's credit, is an option so if you find the camera the right size to begin with, you don't need to buy anything else.

button layout still weird for me at the moment, I need to download an up to date manual for the new firmware.
  • I don't find the X-T1 chunky, I find it too short actually as I am used to having my hand gripping the camera hence I'm getting the half case.  Which to the camera's credit, is an option so if you find the camera the right size to begin with, you don't need to buy anything else.

button layout still weird for me at the moment, I need to download an up to date manual for the new firmware.

I did, too, but there is a battery grip for it, which I'll definitely get if I got one. No matter the camera, it's better gripped :) 

That 56mm is really something, right? At last, a proper crop sensor 85mm 1.8. I truly think fuji have hit the spot with regards to smaller sensors - I get frustrated at using either a 24mm lens for a 35 equivalent (24mm is quite big and expensive) and a 50mm being too short for an 85mm field of view. 

I like 85mm lens though, gives about a 135mm field of view which is really useful. The fuji has that covered with the 90mm f/2 too! So they hit all of the right spots. 

@Wazmeister try one, but make sure it's got up to date firmware on camera and lenses. Apparently the autofocus was improved quite significantly at some point, so when I tried one I made sure it was updated so I got the best representation of the camera. 

I really want to try an xe-2, too, but possible deal breaker - apparently doesn't have an adjustable diopter. However, it's available from mpb for as little as 265 quid and wex have some too. Astonishing value. 
    I don't find the X-T1 chunky, I find it too short actually as I am used to having my hand gripping the camera hence I'm getting the half case.  Which to the camera's credit, is an option so if you find the camera the right size to begin with, you don't need to buy anything else.

I did, too, but there is a battery grip for it, which I'll definitely get if I got one. No matter the camera, it's better gripped :) 

That 56mm is really something, right? At last, a proper crop sensor 85mm 1.8. I truly think fuji have hit the spot with regards to smaller sensors - I get frustrated at using either a 24mm lens for a 35 equivalent (24mm is quite big and expensive) and a 50mm being too short for an 85mm field of view. 

I like 85mm lens though, gives about a 135mm field of view which is really useful. The fuji has that covered with the 90mm f/2 too! So they hit all of the right spots. 

@Wazmeister try one, but make sure it's got up to date firmware on camera and lenses. Apparently the autofocus was improved quite significantly at some point, so when I tried one I made sure it was updated so I got the best representation of the camera. 

I really want to try an xe-2, too, but possible deal breaker - apparently doesn't have an adjustable diopter. However, it's available from mpb for as little as 265 quid and wex have some too. Astonishing value. 

I could get the grip but I find the grip adding too much to the size weirdly, I don’t need the extra features of the grip offers, speed boost etc as it’s just a travel camera, I find 8fps is much faster than I am used to! It goes nuts when I press it down.

Fuji do a kinda half grip too but I prefer the leather half case, have the same for the X-Pro 1 as well.

The 56/1.2 is a good lens, focus is still not amazingly fast, strange as it focus internally rather than the front element like the 85L.  I am between love and torn for this lens.

I love the build quality, it is amazing, all metal, sharp, good contrast, focus accurately, it’s a 1.2 lens. I dislike I am paying £770 for bokeh of a 1.8 lens. Which Canon 1.8 is less than half the price and focuses faster. I guess that is a criticism of them system rather than the lens itself. But it also shows that mirrorless set up is not necessarily cheaper. Lenses are just as if not more expensive for the equivalent.

I really like the look of their 1.4 lenses, metal hood! But I need to compare them side by side, perhaps if I see one used I could try it out in a semi long term basis before making up my mind, don’t want to pay for a new one only to not like it. Or may be they will bring out a mk2 version of the 1.4 with weather sealing. One other thing is an annoyance is the lack of feel of the 4 way directional button, strangely the X-Pro 1 (which is an older camera) has better 4 way button than the X-T1, it is like they went backwards in the design for this. I do like the memory card is separate to the battery compartment now, being in the same as the batter is weird. The small size does mean I can use a wrist strap as opposed to a normal strap.

Overall, it is not a perfect camera, at least not for work. It is however a very good camera. It nails the important stuff like focus but still has little rusty edges here and there. I know the X-T2 addresses some to most of these issues but for now, I don’t think it is worth the £700 difference for me. The 5D4 isn’t a perfect camera either but if I remove the weight factor, it is a MUCH superior camera, more than even the X-T2 in almost all aspects. It’s all a balance of what you need vs what you want to spend and how much convenience you need.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    How do you update firmware on a lens?
    wave100 said:
    How do you update firmware on a lens?
    same way as the body, but with the lens attached I guess?
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    cool thanks