Small pets: legal questions

What's Hot
If they are in lots of pain, do you have to have to euthanise them?  If so are you allowed to do it yourself?

By the way, I'm talking about rodent type things.  I would not suggest allowing a dog or cat to suffer, I'm not a monster.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Go to a vet and see what they say.
    I wouldn't suggest killing a pet yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    octatonic said:
    Go to a vet and see what they say.
    I wouldn't suggest killing a pet yourself.
    That seems to be eminently reasonable advise....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I had a dwarf hamster put down, she had a massive tumour. It cost more than everything I'd spent on food, her cage and bedding, but it was worth it to stop her suffering.
    My V key is broken
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    Cat, dog, cow, rat, rabbit, hamster, chameleon...they're all living creatures (i.e. you would't kill a dog so why a rodent?) Leave it to a vet to weigh up the consequences. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Killing a pet yourself won't be a nice death for them. Let them go peacefully
    My V key is broken
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
     Thunderflash in the arsehole is the most humane.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    If it's easy and a very small animal or bird it's probably not legal unless you have a shotgun -the end result is the same and there would be no suffering
    Having grown up on a farm I probably have a different perspective but it's more about how it would make you feel
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    holnrew said:
    I had a dwarf hamster put down, she had a massive tumour. It cost more than everything I'd spent on food, her cage and bedding, but it was worth it to stop her suffering.
    I took an old housemate to the vet to have a pet rat put to sleep, and it only cost £15 i think.
    A hamster is smaller than a size 12. I just don't get taking it to the vets, or is that part of the anthropomorphic grieving process?  I can understand having housemates put to sleep though and for £15 it does seem like a bargain.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @marcus449 , I wouldn't euthanise a cow,dog or a cat because of the practicality​ of it i.e. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it cleanly.

If i had any pet I'd factor it's end of life treatment in to it's budget, which is where this question originates from.  I've been reading up on guinea pigs, and there have been threads where people have asked what to do as they can't afford that final trip to the vet.  If it's only £15 then I do not see what the issue is. 

£15 for a guinea pig to be put to sleep?  The world's gone crazy. Keep eating the bacon
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Sacrifice them to Baphomet?

Joking aside, talk to a vet. There are plenty of humane, legal ways to help ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• I have just found out that there is a guinea pig guillotine.  It's lab equipment so I would hap to suggest that's not your usual stock at Pets At Home.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    We had a neighbour years ago who had a canary that was full of tumours, it couldn't even stand up so he asked for my air rifle to dispatch it, He fired twice at pointblank range and missed it both times LOL, I said give me the bloody gun for heavens sake.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sacrifice them to Baphomet?

Joking aside, talk to a vet. There are plenty of humane, legal ways to help ;)
    Well according to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons , thank you @fretmeister , it is perfectly legal to do it yourself as long as it is humane.  

@Sambostar , do not even start on a guinea pig gallows. I know that you're sizing up black caps already.
  • hotpot said:
    We had a neighbour years ago who had a canary that was full of tumours, it couldn't even stand up so he asked for my air rifle to dispatch it, He fired twice at pointblank range and missed it both times LOL, I said give me the bloody gun for heavens sake.

Surely a chisel and hammer would have provided a quick out?
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    One of our chickens had sour crop and despite our best efforts treating it the situation wasn't improving, she was slowly starving to death.

I made sure my small hatchet was very, very sharp and dispatched it. We weren't confident technique wise to try wringing its neck and the hatchet seems the quickest, most humane option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited March 2017
    Sambostar said:
    £15 for a guinea pig to be put to sleep?  The world's gone crazy. Keep eating the bacon

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    My worry would be that I botched it and the pet knew about it - so their last thought is "Oh my god, my owner is killing me".

Sure, some of you will be of the opinion that they're just animals and probably not even self aware, but I'm not certain enough they wouldn't be able to formulate that thought to risk doing it DIY.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom