Small pets: legal questions

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12384
    I couldn't do it, I found a pigeon on the. Road that was totally messed up but alive with a wing ripped off, I boxed it up and took it round to a local guy who keeps birds, he did it instead.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • a friend of mine tried and failed to euthanize his pet rat about three times...not good.

Unless you have a foolproof and humane way to do it yourself (and the bottle to do it) take it to a vet

I can't remember all the details I think he tried oxygen starvation, some gassing method, maybe a heavy weight that missed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Dominic said:
    To be honest, the idea you'd even contemplate doing it yourself makes me feel deeply uncomfortable. I actually feel sick, just thinking about it....
    OK @richardhomer , let me put this real case scenario to you.  You live in a rural area, so the nearest vet is about half an hour away (best case).  Your dog, a greyhound, gets hit by a tractor on the road and has crush injuries and a broken back. She can not be moved due to injuries and pain, and it may well not survive the day.  You have a 22 rifle in the house.   

Do you wait for a vet to attend to put it out of her misery?
    You'd lose your firearms licence and probably face prosecution for firearms offenses if you shot anything in a public place - any firearms owner would know that.
    Don't think that is the case ...........large Roe Deer was hit by a car outside our farm and seriously injured
    Police came and asked me to despatch it -I don't have a gun or shoot but they asked the farmer next door and he shot it with a rifle quickly and cleanly.
    The key factor there is that the police asked/told him to.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Not wanting to derail this topic too much, and genuinely not knowing the answer, but surely something is illegal irrespective of whether the police ask you to do it? Now, the common sense approach with the deer above is fairly obvious, but common sense and the law dont always appear to be in agreement.

Cheers,
    Adam
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    It's perfectly fine. Only try this if you are absolutely sure you can do it quickly and as humanely as possible. I've always taken animals to a Vet to be killed as I'm a city boy. But I know someone who has always killed his family pets when the time came. He was a ghillie though so was experienced and had an impressive arsenal!
  • Kalimna said:
    Not wanting to derail this topic too much, and genuinely not knowing the answer, but surely something is illegal irrespective of whether the police ask you to do it? Now, the common sense approach with the deer above is fairly obvious, but common sense and the law dont always appear to be in agreement.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Wise words, Adam .  I believe that the humane destruction of the deer is allowed under section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968. Also why is the police office being treated as any particular authority in this case when they may not have any veterinary training or animal husbandry skills?

I expect the police would be involved if a rabbit was the victim of an attempted murder!  They'd probably call Starsky and Hutch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    This thread is equally disturbing and disgusting
    My V key is broken
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Would you do the same with people?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • holnrew said:
    This thread is equally disturbing and disgusting
    Which is not at all.
  • Sambostar said:
    Would you do the same with people?
    People in this country aren't even allowed to make that decision for themselves.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5281
    i have dispatched chickens, hamsters, rabbits, mice. rats, the ex, budgies, frankly speaking i cant believe the sensitivity of people when it comes to things like this.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom