From Kemper back to valves...and back (in a weekend)

What's Hot

Comments

• Relax, people.  It's all good. 

I've just had another go, hooking up to my monitors then my cab, and used what seems to be some kind of Fender clean from the presets.  I added a drive and distortion (or distortion and distortion, from their naming conventions) in stomps and got some nice sounds. I was nearly persuaded.

But then wondered why I really wanted access to every amp in existence? I'm sort of on the fence again here. I'm still not convinced it's for me - much as it's clearly a massively capable unit. 

Apologies for the flippant 'sod all' comment. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having had a quick listen to your band on Soundcloud (sounding cracking, by the way) it seems to me that a Deluxe Reverb and a nice drive pedal is perfectly suitable.

I similarly would suffer from optional paralysis and I would only entertain a multi-fx unit like a Kemper or Helix if I was in a working function band. For that purpose, these things are beyond compare for quick setup and the right sounds at 2 hour + function gigs.

For some, having all the options is freeing - for others, it's crippling.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    PVO_Dave said:
    it's almost as if we're all different people and we have different tastes and preferences... @imalrightjack the most important thing is to find the solution that fits you best.
    When was that ever up for debate?

The point is/was, @imalrightjack didn't / couldn't get the tones that are available for others without them having to do anything / tweak anything, so if he was sending back based on that, then it might not be the right thing to do? Especially as a few posts above he mentions wanting clean/breakup tones which the above video shows is available in the new free pack.

Don't really care either way what amps/modellers anyone uses, like you say we are all different.
    i thought he'd exhausted the free pack - I was under the impression he'd tried it and couldn't get it to sound 'sod all' like the video.
    Which would insinuate a problem, not a preference :)

Relax, people.  It's all good. 

I've just had another go, hooking up to my monitors then my cab, and used what seems to be some kind of Fender clean from the presets.  I added a drive and distortion (or distortion and distortion, from their naming conventions) in stomps and got some nice sounds. I was nearly persuaded.

But then wondered why I really wanted access to every amp in existence? I'm sort of on the fence again here. I'm still not convinced it's for me - much as it's clearly a massively capable unit. 

Apologies for the flippant 'sod all' comment. 

Did you try the free pack from the Website @imalrightjack or just the presets already loaded? Some of the pre-loaded content can be a bit lack lustre like with most modellers. - https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads then grab "Michael Britt Rig Pack (March 2017)" - This is a selection of Kempers favourite profiles from all of MBritts packs, the ones demoed in the above video.

If you don't need or want the options of amps, then that's fair enough, modellers might not be for you. I think for a band situation I'd likely just have one or two banks of presets setup, but for messing around at home, having the options to try different sounds per song works a treat - Including the ability to use it for Bass too.
  • Also, if your taste is for nice breakup sounds I would definitely recommend trying the ubiquitous "Morgan AC20" profile by "rmpacheco" (it's free on the rig exchange) Don't know what that guy did but that profile is outstanding.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used mine for headphones mainly and prefer a real amp for anything else..but I think the Kemper is probably the best bit of gear I have got and is still here a decent while later.  

The Amp Factory (TAF) Friedman Dirty Shirley profile is amazing and that is the main one I use. One thing I will say is they do all vary a bit - some are great some not so much but the TAF and Mbritt ones are good.

Some of it seems fiddly to start with but it doesn't have to be that way.  The things that you will need to do are:

Get your Input gain sorted - else it can distort in the wrong places or just sound weak.
    Use the EQ to balance the guitar (same as an amp)
    Be careful with the noise gate as it can choke notes quite quickly.

I have heard good profiles for all types of amps but that doesn't mean you need to use them all.  I use one for clean, one for heavy and one for general classic rock stuff.  
  • I need to click back with a lot of 'Wisdoms' on here.  I've followed some of the advice today, especially @dangriffiths @PVO_Dave @John_A etc. (apologies for anybody I've missed - it's all appreciated).  

I've found some sounds I like.  Learning to switch off the FX that come on automatically helps.

I also discovered that I really didn't like the sound through my Alesis M1 monitors.  I'd love to try a good FRFR but can't possibly splash out on one until I'm sure it's a keeper.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited March 2017
    I also discovered that I really didn't like the sound through my Alesis M1 monitors.  I'd love to try a good FRFR but can't possibly splash out on one until I'm sure it's a keeper.
    I fear you're possibly in a bit of a chicken and egg scenario here.

If you've got the 3" set of M1s then you're not likely to get much satisfaction with anything IMO.  There's no need to spend a fortune, nor any real reason to get FRFR for home over some larger studio monitors unless you were planning to use the FRFR for gigging (or just wanted it!), but small low powered speakers don't tend to be very satisfying when your frame of reference is 12" guitar speakers.

It is a size thing to an extent, and the same reason a THR5 sounds good for what it is but doesn't (subjectively) sound as good as playing through a larger amp at an equal volume.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1292
    I've gigged with my new Powerhead for the first time last Sat and there is no chance that I am going back to tube heads in the nearest future, if at all.
    Only had a chance to slightly tweak factory profiles of twin reverb for cleans and jvm and dual rec for dirty sounds and that was enough to make the other guitarist in the band scratch his head and wonder how come kemper actually sounds bettter than his diezel herbert.
    I use it with a regular 2x12 cab, studio monitors and through PA and it delivers in every situation. Stupid easy to setup on stage too, was ready to rock in less than 5 minutes.

My suggestion to OP, give it another chance mate, make sure you've got all the connections right and don't be afraid to turn a knob or two to adjust factory profiles. This thing really delivers.

• @KrisGee - a heartening story.  And I have really, really started to bond with it today.  Redeemed!  Blame @dangriffiths ;

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha oops
  • @KrisGee - a heartening story.  And I have really, really started to bond with it today.  Redeemed!  Blame @dangriffiths ;

I bought a new Mesa Rectoverb combo recently, and I'm still gassing for a Kemper, and I blame all of you!!! 

I bought a new Mesa Rectoverb combo recently, and I'm still gassing for a Kemper, and I blame all of you!!! 
    @BintyTwanger77 - I'm not going to say it's amazing.  But I think it'll be pretty bloody good when I learn how to use it properly.  I think it took a while to 'get my ears in' - and now my tinnitus is giving me jip.  No win situation ;)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375

@PVO_Dave After that demo, I am officially strongly tempted by the unpowered head powered speaker (DXR10?)combination.

Can I connect a MIDI pedal like a Big Sky or H9 to the Kemper, have it in the FX loop and have effects from them as part of patches scrolled through using the foot controller?

@BintyTwanger77  weirdly, someone else just asked a similar question: https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/33932-H9-midi-and-remote/?postID=368364#post368364

Sounds like it might be worth a scan on the remote instructions :) 
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited March 2017
    @KrisGee - a heartening story.  And I have really, really started to bond with it today.  Redeemed!  Blame @dangriffiths ;;

@BintyTwanger77 - I'm not going to say it's amazing.  But I think it'll be pretty bloody good when I learn how to use it properly.  I think it took a while to 'get my ears in' - and now my tinnitus is giving me jip.  No win situation

At some point...if you play a well captured profile of an amp that YOU like*...through a good FRFR* or (for my money) the appropriate guitar cab*, your draw will drop!

* (Those caveats are all vital, though!)

• @KrisGee - a heartening story.  And I have really, really started to bond with it today.  Redeemed!  Blame @dangriffiths ;;

@BintyTwanger77 - I'm not going to say it's amazing.  But I think it'll be pretty bloody good when I learn how to use it properly.  I think it took a while to 'get my ears in' - and now my tinnitus is giving me jip.  No win situation

At some point...if you play a well captured profile of an amp that YOU like*...through a good FRFR* or (for my money) the appropriate guitar cab*, your draw will drop!

What cab do you use, @jimification ?  I'm yet to try FRFR and not convinced I'm ready to yet.  The Amp Factory's Dirty Shirley is the one which swayed me.  Just need to keep looking until I find the one.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 161
    edited March 2017
    @KrisGee - a heartening story.  And I have really, really started to bond with it today.  Redeemed!  Blame @dangriffiths ;;;;;;;;;;

What cab do you use, @jimification ?  I'm yet to try FRFR and not convinced I'm ready to yet.  The Amp Factory's Dirty Shirley is the one which swayed me.  Just need to keep looking until I find the one.

At the moment I'm using a Fender Vaporizer that I've rewired in stereo via a camplifier (so basically a 2x10 open backed cab). That works very well but I'm sure there's more to be had so I'm currently designing myself a new cab with WGS speakers to use with the Kemper.

Lots of people do prefer FRFR for the flexibility it gives you but I think you still need some with proper welly to get a convincing guitar cab-like sound out of them - 3" monitors won't do it! At least 5"...probably bigger...8" should be more like it (possibly with a sub, too!) AFAIK all of the aftermarket FRFR cabs aimed at modellers use pretty big cones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting, @jimification ;

How do I know what is a merged profile? How do you differentiate? 

I've locked the Cabinet button off and unticked the cab monitor or whatever it is in the output menu. Oddly, it still sounded like the 'True Cab' setting had an effect. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I've got 100's of profiles, the M Britt ones are very good, but all I use is the Morgan AC20 patch by rmpacheco - it's on the rig exchange for free. I feel like a Kemper luddite, having all those amps and just using one :o Just use your volume control on your guitar, it's so dynamic :)
  • John_A said:
    Too much hassle...@John_A - I just want to play!

Had similar feelings when I got my Helix.  Now I have a 'rig' that took a day to set up, and was tweaked a little bit here and there and I just plug in and play.  All you need to get out of it are the sounds you use, no need to spend forever fiddling. 

This is very wise!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Too much hassle...@John_A - I just want to play!

Had similar feelings when I got my Helix.  Now I have a 'rig' that took a day to set up, and was tweaked a little bit here and there and I just plug in and play.  All you need to get out of it are the sounds you use, no need to spend forever fiddling. 

This is very wise!

If it's that wise where's my 'wisdom' :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom