Pissed off with Linux

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    So I use windows on my home systems and linux on my workstations at work.

I think part of the problem with linux is that there is no one who owns the overall user experience and as such you get a few unfortunate effects.

1.) No design contract between components means that it isn't always obvious which component is the problem (and therefore who should be fixing it...if they can even be bothered since its mostly staffed by volunteers or corporate sponsorship which has its own priorities).

2.) Community support is somewhat cargo-cultish meaning that when you go looking for help you almost never actually diagnose root cause and then work out how to fix it, instead you just try copy/pasting what other people have said worked for issues with similar symptoms. since no one else bothered to diagnose root cause either and 99% of linux users dont understand the internals (including myself) the quality of advice is variable to say the least.

Of course this distributed nature also provide some of linux benefits like many-eyes and the one tool per function philosophy but I'd say for someone who just wants a desktop OS that works without needing to regularly dive into the documentation for effectively a hundred disparate products it isn't there yet.

FWIW the main reason I use linux at work is actually not due to the OS itself its just that for windows users the company mandates a metric ton of crapware is installed whereas for linux the requirements are much lighter.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Emp_Fab said:
    notanon said:
    Windows you don't expect it to work - it doesn't

Apple you expect it to work - it doesn't.

Linux (*nix) - get yourself a guru it works.

Simples!

BTW - just a few people who use Linux for real work: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Just Linux, not counting BSD distros.

Whoaa ! - That was an eye-opener !  The US runs their nuclear sub fleet on Linux !  The International Space Station's laptops are Linux, Dreamworks Animation - all Linux.  As daft as this sounds, I didn't realise how prevalent it is.
    And... virtually every switch and router that makes the interwebs.. TVs, set top boxes, banks, most mobile phones all sorts.

Its everywhere
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    edited March 2017
    Myranda said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    notanon said:

Simples!

BTW - just a few people who use Linux for real work: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

Whoaa ! - That was an eye-opener !  The US runs their nuclear sub fleet on Linux !  The International Space Station's laptops are Linux, Dreamworks Animation - all Linux.  As daft as this sounds, I didn't realise how prevalent it is.
    And... virtually every switch and router that makes the interwebs.. TVs, set top boxes, banks, most mobile phones all sorts.

Its everywhere
    Pretty sure that Lord of the Rings trilogy was all rendered on Linux Systems. 

The BBC made extensive use of Linux for broadcast video playout systems. They developed a system called Raven which used Linux plus other open source components. Controversially they didn't make their source code publicly available which technically breaches GPL terms. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24322
    Bastards.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    edited March 2017
    You see that's what i like most about Linux, a system used solely by geeks who do nothing useful with it :-) Cheers @exocet for that bombshell ;-)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7288
    exocet said:
    Myranda said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    notanon said:

Simples!

Its everywhere
    Pretty sure that Lord of the Rings trilogy was all rendered on Linux Systems. 

The BBC made extensive use of Linux for broadcast video playout systems. They developed a system called Raven which used Linux plus other open source components. Controversially they didn't make their source code publicly available which technically breaches GPL terms. 
    Depends, ifs its plain ol GPL you can link against it and still only have to make the source available for the libs you took, not your own code.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ