Recommend me a reverb pedal…or Flint?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3903

Ideally reasonably-priced, true bypass, with spring and plate.

The Holy Grail Neo looks perfect for me – Spring, plate, one knob. But what’s the sound quality like? Or should I sell my Swamp Thang tremolo and splurge on a Strymon Flint?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Polara should be on your list.
  • Just bought myself a used Dr Scientist Reverberator... it sounds bloody brilliant to my deaf ears! I'm really liking the room settings.
     It has a selector dial where you can choose from 9 different reverbs from hall, room and plate... it also has a rotating speaker effect... best of all it's really simple to use... just a mix and level knob and reverb selector knob... The reverberator can also be used as a clean boost! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3903
    Well done finding a used Dr Scientist Reverberator! Must be pretty rare I would think. I like the simplicity.
  • If interested there's a green version currently on ebay £165, also a used one on Guitar Guitar for £155 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Few years ago I had the Neo, to be honest I didn't rate it - in terms of noise or quality.

I've just got (month or so back) a Flint.

No comparison - the trem and the reverb are lovely and very usable.

Get one if you can afford it

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12941
    The Polara isn't overly exciting but it is very, very good. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    simonk said:
    Polara should be on your list.
    Or used Hardwire reverb as they appear to be the same algorithms. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    I spent a couple of hours looking at reviews [1] [2] of the Neunaber Immerse last night.   I'm sooooo tempted... I guess it doesn't 100% fit with your requirements.  It's buffered bypass because supposedly switching a reverb off mid-flow sounds bad.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    revsorg said:
    I spent a couple of hours looking at reviews [1] [2] of the Neunaber Immerse last night.   I'm sooooo tempted... I guess it doesn't 100% fit with your requirements.  It's buffered bypass because supposedly switching a reverb off mid-flow sounds bad.
    I think the reasoning is also reverb goes at the end of the chain, which is where you would generally have a buffer.  I'm sure the Neunaber buffer would be top notch.  I'm really interested in these as well, the demos look ace.  The MXR looks good too.
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    +1 on the Reverberator! Also the used one on GuitarGuitar is prolly mine, I traded mine in a short time ago. Fantastic pedal, just didn't fit my board's colour scheme ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    Lebarque said:

Ideally reasonably-priced, true bypass, with spring and plate.

The Holy Grail Neo looks perfect for me – Spring, plate, one knob. But what’s the sound quality like? Or should I sell my Swamp Thang tremolo and splurge on a Strymon Flint?

Notwithstanding the (significant) outlay, the Flint is a total must have; I have side by side compared the sounds it offers with the original built in amp effects in both Fender black- and silverface models, and it does all that impeccably, but with a level of control, flexibility, and compactness that is wholly 21st century.
  • The MXR Reverb is excellent.
  • I personally found the Flint to be quite boring and uninspiring; I really liked it at first but I dunno, I went off it. Something quite stale about Strymon, now that I've tried a few.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I personally found the Flint to be quite boring and uninspiring; I really liked it at first but I dunno, I went off it. Something quite stale about Strymon, now that I've tried a few.
    Have to say I agree about the Flint. Competent is how I'd describe it.
    I personally found the Flint to be quite boring and uninspiring; I really liked it at first but I dunno, I went off it. Something quite stale about Strymon, now that I've tried a few.
    The difference between digital and analogue?
    Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Neunaber Immerse, Polara, Dr Scientist, MXR all look good. Polara the best value by the look of it, and a few around second hand. I think I might discount the Flint, based on the price, mixed reviews and it's power hungry too: 250ma

Any more offers?!
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 396
    edited March 2017
    Lebarque said:
    The difference between digital and analogue?
    Unless you buy something with a spring in, no such thing as analogue reverb! All the suggestions you have are better reverb sounds than the Flint IMO. Don't forget the Boss RV-6 - very capable.

Consider Neunaber Expanse/Slate/whatever they're called too. Very versatile.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    TC hof? I have the mini version and it's perfect for me. One knob, no fuss. Option to beam toneprints too. 

The full fat version might suit you?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    I've tried a lot of reverb pedals.  I have a reverb tank for surfy stuff, but like variety - hence the pedal.
    I've had at least eight different reverbs on my board, the MXR M300 is the stand out king or the crop.  It's spectacular.  It's the only pedals that has actually got me thinking I could do away with the valve reverb tank.  

Next best after this were the Neunaber wet, and the Flint.  The Polara and the Hall of fame fell pretty short.

Any experience of the Dr Scientist, @TheMarlin? I do like the look of that MXR though...