You have ONE distortion/overdrive.. What's it gonna be?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    So... 
    Everyone would agree that the kot is a better pedal than the hm2 or the ds1 but those pedals have created better sounds on record :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited March 2017
    Reverend said:
    So... 
    Everyone would agree that the kot is a better pedal than the hm2 or the ds1 but those pedals have created better sounds on record
    One man's "better" is another man's "worse". Tone is largely subjective, so I don't really understand what point you're making.

List of "name" users/endorsers on Analogman's website: http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

(for the record: not a KOT owner, nor do I want to be)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    So... 
    Everyone would agree that the kot is a better pedal than the hm2 or the ds1 but those pedals have created better sounds on record
    One man's "better" is another man's "worse". Tone is largely subjective, so I don't really understand what point you're making.

List of "name" users/endorsers on Analogman's website: http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

I just find it amusing that you get these boutique pedals that everyone loves whilst you get boss pedals that get slated on musician forums, however the it's the Boss pedals that have been used to far greater effect on record. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:
    So... 

I just find it amusing that you get these boutique pedals that everyone loves whilst you get boss pedals that get slated on musician forums, however the it's the Boss pedals that have been used to far greater effect on record. 

What does "greater effect" mean?

On more albums? On better albums? By whose reckoning? On better sounding albums? By whose reckoning? And what proportion of the "better-ness" do you attribute to the use of a Boss pedal over a boutique equivalent? Are the musicians that use Boss pedals actively rejecting boutique gear, or just unaware of it? Does a recording of a guitarist using, say, an Analogman or Keeley modded Boss pedal count as someone using a Boss pedal, or a boutique one?

You seem to be trying to make a comparison I'm not sure can really be made.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:
    So... 

On more albums? On better albums? By whose reckoning? On better sounding albums? By whose reckoning? And what proportion of the "better-ness" do you attribute to the use of a Boss pedal over a boutique equivalent? Are the musicians that use Boss pedals actively rejecting boutique gear, or just unaware of it? Does a recording of a guitarist using, say, an Analogman or Keeley modded Boss pedal count as someone using a Boss pedal, or a boutique one?

By greater effect, I mean I can think of loads of great, ground breaking or genre defining albums with killer sounds that were recorded using the bog standard pedals made by Boss, MXR and Ibanez and yet these pedals are often derided by people that prefer more expensive pedals. 
    Oddly, as an example Metallica have plenty of boutique pedals including keeley/anologman modded ones but have never sounded anywhere near as good as hern they used a stock ts9. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:
    Reverend said:
    So... 

By greater effect, I mean I can think of loads of great, ground breaking or genre defining albums with killer sounds that were recorded using the bog standard pedals made by Boss, MXR and Ibanez and yet these pedals are often derided by people that prefer more expensive pedals. 
    Oddly, as an example Metallica have plenty of boutique pedals including keeley/anologman modded ones but have never sounded anywhere near as good as hern they used a stock ts9. 

Several points to consider:-

Boss/MXR/Ibanez pedals are not always what they were back in the day, hence why people mod them to get closer to the original specs.

What an artist found worked in the 80's / 90's going into a load of Marshall stacks may differ from the requirements of your average Joe today where warmth/drive/sustain is coming from a different point in the signal chain due to slightly different volume requirements to stadium rock. So it may not be that pedal A is not good enough anymore, it just fulfils a different requirement.

MXR, some Ibanez and Boss pedals are pretty much as expensive (more in some cases) than many boutique pedals. 

Pedals from back in the day, DS1, SD1 etc, have had far greater time to get on classic albums, who is to say modern classics won't take over in the future?

The differences you hear in Metalica's sound is almost certainly not the minute circuit differences between modded or stock TS9's, especially when the modded versions are usually to get them back to original stock specs, since what is 'stock' has changed over the years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235

Your really should, it was the best drive pedal by miles with the Laney Lionheart! ;-) and i have quite a few lol
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Reverend said:

I'll start of by saying, I own a KoT, and its been pretty much on my board since i purchased it. I've swapped it out for various other drive pedals, but i always seem to come back to it..

The simple reason being, that 'for me' it just works in a live gig situation, with every guitar and amp combination.

If a Boss pedal (or any other brand for that matter) did the same thing no doubt i'd use that.

Before the KoT my drive pedals of choice were Xotic BB with a TS of some variety, sometimes and EP boost as well.

I do not care for the sounds I hear on records, i'm never going to replicate those studio sounds in a live environment.. 

At home into my little Champ 12, give me a Boss OD-3 or BD-2w any day, the KoT sounds dreadfully flat into that!

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5041
    My Custom Shop Fulltone Fulldrive II in Fiesta Red.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Playing it safe because I know it, it would be an OCD (probably on 18V).

I've never tried a KoT but I did have a Bluesbreaker Mk I and that was good, so that might be an option.

I would be tempted to cheat and get some kind of dual pedal like the new(ish) FD3 which I haven't tried, or one of the Xotic double pedals like the BB Plus.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Rothwell Hellbender.

Damned silly name, damned good crunchy classic rock noises!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...