Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone know about Tag watch repair?

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    We had a £35,000 Jaeger L'Coutre come through the shop for a full service and that cost the customer £250... and our watch maker was an old school professional

Some brands totally take the piss when it comes to service costs... Rolex and Omega are above average watch brands, but for some unknowable reason the charge the sorts of money that boutique brands wouldn't dream of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    Have you opened it up?
    No, but I have a tool order as we speak. 
    Good stuff. Be cautious when taking it off, the tool can slip and gouge the rear of the case. If you get you decide to go ahead with repairing it you can use silicon grease to reseal it properly (assuming the seals are in good condition). Remember to do the seal on the crown too. This might help...

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    TAG are pretty approachable, just had my F1 serviced (battery, clean, adjust) here in France and it was 110 Euros.  TAG in the UK will (or used to) have a look and quote before doing any work.  Make sure you send direct rather than through a rip-off high street jeweler though.  Could be worth a 'phone call first before you send it.
  • Omega will charge £250 just to acknowledge my existence when it comes to my seamaster

Expect similar from Tag
    +1
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    You didn't mention if it was quartz or auto.

If quartz a generic replacement can be had for a few pounds, an auto a fair bit dearer. TAG's always use basic movements. 

The movement number will be on the movement. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    edited December 2013
    My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456

I just paid £1,731 for a new clasp, face, hands, bezel and service. Damn near died when they told me, but I didn't realise how much they are new. I'm considering selling it now.
    fuck me,  I only paid £950 for my Omega seamaster (auto not quartz)   ok  list price was £1200,  I got a good deal ;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Justa thought but sounds like a good excuse to save the money you would have given to Tag go on holiday and buy a fake one off the beech sellers and put its insides  in your missus's watch ... it'll have even more sentimental value then! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456

I just paid £1,731 for a new clasp, face, hands, bezel and service. Damn near died when they told me, but I didn't realise how much they are new. I'm considering selling it now.
    thats crazy!
    Old Is Gold
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2013

thats crazy!

Yes, I agree it's crazy, and I honestly considered whether simply to sell it as it was, but I didn't realise what it was worth until the dealer told me that it now costs a cool £8,950 for a new one. Hence it was worth me paying the money because I could probably sell it now for about £4,500. I paid £2,500 for it originally, and those particular watches have appreciated more than than some of the others.

Actually, I did buy another new black and stainless Submariner this year at a very, very good price which I won't lose any money on.

• My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456

thats crazy!

Yes, I agree it's crazy, and I honestly considered whether simply to sell it as it was, but I didn't realise what it was worth until the dealer told me that it now costs a cool £8,950 for a new one. Hence it was worth me paying the money because I could probably sell it now for about £4,500. I paid £2,500 for it originally, and those particular watches have appreciated more than than some of the others.

Actually, I did buy another new black and stainless Submariner this year at a very, very good price which I won't lose any money on.
    Fair enough that kinda makes sense then. I like watches but I couldn't spend mega money on them, I have a nice Vostok divers watch that cost bout £40 thats about as far as I will go :-)
    Old Is Gold
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Update...I took Myranda's and thisisguitar's advice and I am going to drop it into a good independent for a quote. he said that it won't be as much as I think it could be and mentioned that many upmarket watches indeed use ETA movements.

I will post a photo of its current condition before it goes. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

thats crazy!

Fair enough that kinda makes sense then. I like watches but I couldn't spend mega money on them, I have a nice Vostok divers watch that cost bout £40 thats about as far as I will go :-)

I think you're very sensible. It's easy to get watch gas, though!

• Vostok Amphibians are great! I paid £36 for mine (good exchange rate at the time). I'd love a Speedmaster (grew up watching the Apollo missions) but I doubt I'll ever earn enough to be able to afford one.

Good advice on this thread. I have a TAG F1 that the battery died in about a year ago - is it likely to have leaked and destroyed the movement? TAG prices to replace a battery are ludicrous, which is why I neglected it when it stopped.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    I do my own watch repairs, there's not really a lot to it TBH.
    As long as the case, face, hands are OK the movements can usually be replaced no problem.
    I "think" TAG's use std ETA movements which can be had for £20 upwards.
    To disassemble is as straight forward as open case, remove stem/crown, remove movement including face and hands from case, remove hands and face from movement. Reassembly is the reverse.
    Obviously there's a bit more to it (including very steady hands and a jewelers lupe) but it's fairly simple really.

Personally I like Seiko Automatics, real watches (all mechanical) for not much money :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    I do love a good watch thread. Hope this gets resolved with minimal fuss/cost.

Currently got my beady eye on a new Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra with blue dial and the new sexy 8500 co-axial movement in it. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    chillidoggy;106266" said:

I know you've said it was worth investing the money in the new parts cos you'll get it back, but seriously, how the fuck do they justify these prices? The parts can't cost them more than £50 surely? Or are they made of unicorn horn????

boogieman said:
    chillidoggy;106266" said:

I know you've said it was worth investing the money in the new parts cos you'll get it back, but seriously, how the fuck do they justify these prices? The parts can't cost them more than £50 surely? Or are they made of unicorn horn????

There's obviously a mark up, but I believe it has a lot to do with the labour and man hours that are put into building/servicing hand made watches such as Omega. They're one of few swiss companies (I believe) that build their own movements in-house too, which contributes to the price. I guess. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12426
    So do they make the hands or bezels by hand ? Or is it done on a CNC machine? Or do they buy them in? I still don't understand where these massive prices come from, unless it's literally a case of a bloke filing a set of hands out of a block of solid metal. I can understand the movement being expensive, but not generic parts.
    I have no idea if they just buy the generic parts in or not, but my guess would be "no" and that they make them in house...OR they use better quality parts than say that of a Seiko or Citizen.But that's just an educated guess.

I guess the same argument could be made of why is a Jaguar more expensive than a Vauxhall. 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The watch went in today and there was lots of 'Oh dears' and 'Goodness mes' to be heard. he will get back to me if it can be repaied within a reasonable budget.