Unemployed...by choice

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited May 2016
    Ro_S said:
    is west street the prince albert piercing?

no jap eye?
    There is a pub in Brighton called the Prince Albert that is situated right in the middle of the helmet area. Google it. Spoooo(r)ky.
    so it does.  and the side of shaft is against dyke road. how ironic.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ro_S;1080011" said:
    Managers and employers can go f@ck themselves.
    From a company petspective I always feel people with that attitude are best of out of the organisation.
    From the dedicated, hard-working, highly competent and loyal employee perspective, I feel that companies and organisations would benefit from having fewer managers and fewer self-serving, own-back-saving, arse-licking @rseholes.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    Oh yes. Nothing quite like it. i had had enough of work just like you and took a month off and helped old ladies with their gardens. The sex wasn't great but it was better than working in an office
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853
    DesVegas;1081025" said:
    Oh yes. Nothing quite like it. i had had enough of work just like you and took a month off and helped old ladies with their gardens. The sex wasn't great but it was better than working in an office
    I was hit on by a predatory older woman at the pub the other day who asked if she could interest me in going back to her place? I said she probably could....

When we got there she plied me with brandy and asked if she could interest me in a mother and daughter threesome? I said she probably could....

She shouted 'Mother!'
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Well it seems like a month and a half since I posted this (funnily enough) and today................I went back to work 

9 hours of my day stolen for a small sum of money, I realised this afternoon how much I was enjoying being off.

Highly recommended to anyone, it honestly took 3 weeks to fully unwind, got shit loads done on my house , played loads of golf, guitar and fallout 4, spent time with my son who finished his exams and thoroughly loved the gym during the day when it was quiet.

Money was a minor issue but have realised the life/work balance was way out of kilter, so now saving for the next couple of month holiday, just wondering how long this positivity will last now!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Tone71 said:
    Not sure if it is the continuation of the mid-life crisis type part of my life but have left work today.

Having worked in a severely stressful environment for the past year I have decided after one too many sleepless nights to take a month or so off, so handed in my notice and left at the earliest opportunity, left on good terms with maybe the door slightly ajar for a possible return if needed.

It`s going to be weird to start having but hopefully enjoyable, have decided to go to the gym every morning, swim and do cardio for a fitness buzz (been sat in an office for 12 months) work on my golf handicap and do all the home jobs that I`ve been putting off for the past few years, oh and try to see my folks more.

Anyone else done this? 
    Sort of doing it at the moment (hence all my posts here .. :-) ) .. I'm thinking of retiring and calling it a day. Find another way to make less money but have a better quality of life. I'm getting old so I can do this .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2265
    Ro_S said:
    Ro_S;1080011" said:
    Managers and employers can go f@ck themselves.
    From a company petspective I always feel people with that attitude are best of out of the organisation.
    From the dedicated, hard-working, highly competent and loyal employee perspective, I feel that companies and organisations would benefit from having fewer managers and fewer self-serving, own-back-saving, arse-licking @rseholes.

This is the problem with anecdotal evidence. Experiences differ. I have worked for the same company for 26 yrs and have seen competent and incompetent people at all levels. In that time I've had 3 managers one was ok, one was appalling and the current one is very good. I work with people who are very good and some not so. 

BTW nope I've never left a job without one to go to. I started having children at 24 so always had dependents. Now I probably could leave downsize, live off Mrs S wages but after many years of being skint I like not being skint. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    slacker said:
    This is the problem with anecdotal evidence. Experiences differ. I have worked for the same company for 26 yrs and have seen competent and incompetent people at all levels. In that time I've had 3 managers one was ok, one was appalling and the current one is very good. I work with people who are very good and some not so. 
    Only 3 managers in 26 years - wow!

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Where I work the culture is pretty great. Pretty much come in when you want, leave when you want and take as much leave as you want.

As a result, everyone is super-productive and no-one takes the piss. There aren't really managers as such. Probably the coolest place I've ever worked.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:
    Where I work the culture is pretty great. Pretty much come in when you want, leave when you want and take as much leave as you want.

As a result, everyone is super-productive and no-one takes the piss. There aren't really managers as such. Probably the coolest place I've ever worked.
    Sounds very nice. If we adopted that approach where I work I'd be the only one there as everyone takes the piss and skives at every available opportunity.

Although, come to think of it, there'd probably still be no real dip in productivity so perhaps that's the ideal future. As long as I got a 1000% pay rise for taking up the slack ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    edited July 2016
    Ro_S said:
    slacker said:
    It's a slow department I've done the same job for 26 years. Average age is 50 something average service is about 15 years. Most people who leave retire.
    slacker said:
    Ro_S said:
    slacker said:
    It's a slow department I've done the same job for 26 years. Average age is 50 something average service is about 15 years. Most people who leave retire.
    'Sounds like a "dead man's shoes'' type situation for any promotion opportunities.

Ro_S said:
    slacker said:
    Ro_S said:
    slacker said:
    'Sounds like a "dead man's shoes'' type situation for any promotion opportunities.

It's very slow and currently the company give low wage increases for promotion. I'd want way more money for managing 11 people like me.

slacker said:

It's very slow and currently the company give low wage increases for promotion. I'd want way more money for managing 11 people like me.

Is it in local government?

Do you have lots of tea breaks?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    Missed this first time around. As I'm currently working my notice without a job to go to it is a bit relevant. I'm anticipating bypassing the gym stage and going straight to the y fronts stage.
    I've had a meeting this morning with the job agency people but just basically learned that the guy interviewing me lost his job and now helps other people on a zero hours contract.
    Right, off to the underpants section of Primark now... :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Ro_S said:
    slacker said:

Is it in local government?

Do you have lots of tea breaks?

No it's a multi national and no official tea breaks but there is a very nice coffee machine.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12026
    Tone71 said:
    Not sure if it is the continuation of the mid-life crisis type part of my life but have left work today.

Having worked in a severely stressful environment for the past year I have decided after one too many sleepless nights to take a month or so off, so handed in my notice and left at the earliest opportunity, left on good terms with maybe the door slightly ajar for a possible return if needed.

It`s going to be weird to start having but hopefully enjoyable, have decided to go to the gym every morning, swim and do cardio for a fitness buzz (been sat in an office for 12 months) work on my golf handicap and do all the home jobs that I`ve been putting off for the past few years, oh and try to see my folks more.

Anyone else done this? 
    I did it for 6 months once, and 10 months once
    Did me lots of good

I just wanted more time to do my own thing and family stuff
    The 10 months improved my guitar playing a lot, especially with the kit I bought that year