Any Engl love ( or Hate)

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
I've got a Screamer 50 combo.
It's absolutely fantastic for what I need.
Pedals, onboard drive, midi switching goodness.
Tell me your thoughts and ideas.
" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    hated the fireball in my local rehearsal studio
    It was probably fucked though
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've had a Blackmore head which was an absolute beast at rock/metal, but also had beautiful cleans. That amp was the tightest and most clinically precise amps I've heard. The German build quality and components were rock solid too. I kept that head in a damp garage for a few months and it survived that like a champ with not even a scratchy pot. The only reason I got rid of it was because that was the first valve amp I ever owned and I wanted to try something different.

That was followed by the Screamer 50, which is the most flexible amp I've ever played. Each of the 4 channels had a completely different character, but were all very much usable and covered almost every sound I ever needed. The reason I got rid of that was because it was just a little too heavy for carrying to rehearsals.

Now I use Mesa amps for rehearsal and gigging, but I wouldn't say they sound better than the Engls. I still regard them highly and would not hesitate to own another.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited June 2016
    Back in my drumming days the guitarist in my band had a Screamer 50 head and the matching vertical 2x12 v30 cab. Sounded fantastic, very versatile and nicely voiced. He used it for indie/ lighter rock styles, think blur, counting crows etc. Onboard gain for the heavier stuff and I remember it being pretty dynamic at mid-gain levels, nice midrange voicing and not at all fizzy/ boomy as some high gainers can get. The cleans were nice and glassy and it took pedals (ts-9 style etc) very well for the lower gain stuff.

It also gave the impression of being a solid piece of gear - it was dropped from chest height onto concrete once, a couple of smashed valves but other than that no damage.

I remember when he sold it before moving abroad I considered buying it myself.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    Sadly they are not built electrically as well on the inside as they are physically on the outside, or you would expect from being German. I have had several for repair with faults partly caused by the way they're designed and built. They can be difficult to fix and Engl's customer service is far from brilliant.

That said, the Screamer does sound good, so hopefully yours will not develop any problems. I expect they're fairly reliable as long as nothing actually goes wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Loved my Powerball. Then I ended up in a Blues Brothers tribute band and it looked a bit ridiculous, so I sold it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349

ICBM said:
    I expect they're fairly reliable as long as nothing actually goes wrong.

As are most things... ;)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10492

I have played through a Savage 120 after repairing it. Great for mental high gain stuff and loads of channels.

Really badly built though, awful PCB and wiring 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 617

I have the Blackmore E650 100w head thro a Engl 2x12 pro with v30 and it's a keeper...you can go from lovely clean, nice crunch through to brutal metal. Very varied animal... surprisingly not what I expected an Engl to be so whether the Blackmore influence means it is not really like the others I don't know. Usually see the real heavy metal users banging them out.

It is also minimalistic on controls so keeps it simple especially using the Z5 footswitch

My only biff is that the head is bloody heavy..so glad is doesn't have to move LOL

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 617
    I have also watched Steve Morse play through his signature Engl many times & he always has good tone. Although that has more knobs than old Moog synth.......
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited June 2016
    Love the screamer

I have an Ironball and it's amazing.

Covers so much ground from great cleans, bluesy tones right up to metal. Can't believe how much gain it has on tap
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I wanted to try out an Ironball when I was looking for a two channel lunchbox head.  They were in stock at guitar guitar but it was a mission to get there.

I found a good value mesa mini rectifier which has also been great but I would like to try the Ironball nonetheless.

Very few english language reviews and the youtube demos are a bit 80s metal.

Much better priced than the Mesa too.  (no sh!t sherlock I hear you say)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I tried a screamer and a thunder around 15 years ago, and fell in love with the Screamer, it's as if some had asked me to spec out my perfect amp. finally a local guitar cave had a Screamer in 2nd hand and it's mine! All mine I tell you!!!!
    I've had Marshall, Mesa, Peavey and Line6 but nothing quite comes close to the Screamer.
    To my ears there is definitely an Engl tone, i can't quite describe it but I feel it sits somewhere between the 'rodded JCM800 and Boogie Rectifier camps.
    However I have never yet pushed the gain above 11o'clock.

Currently I've hooked it up to my switcher pedal and via a £20 midi to switch box I'm controlling all 4 'modes' reverb and 2nd volume boost via midi.

You may have guessed ' rootsy americana' ain't my bag.
    prh777;1094277" said:
    I wanted to try out an Ironball when I was looking for a two channel lunchbox head.  They were in stock at guitar guitar but it was a mission to get there.

I found a good value mesa mini rectifier which has also been great but I would like to try the Ironball nonetheless.

Very few english language reviews and the youtube demos are a bit 80s metal.

Much better priced than the Mesa too.  (no sh!t sherlock I hear you say)
    There is a great review of the Gigmaster 30 by Jamie Humphrys ( spelling????) on Guitar Interactive magazine. Worth looking for on YouTube.
    Fortheloveofguitar;1093791" said:
    Love the screamer

I have an Ironball and it's amazing.

Covers so much ground from great cleans, bluesy tones right up to metal. Can't believe how much gain it has on tap
    Agreed, I tried a Fireball but it was waaaaay too much amp for my needs at the time.

I never run the lead channel gain above 11 o'clock.
    It's insane, and the Screamer has what Engl describe as 'tamed' gain.
    Mental.
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 168

Owned a few in the past. Powerball - Special Edition - Blackmore - Screamer - Steve Morse.

I would have to say the Morse was the best of the bunch. Did the mega high gain thing but also did the lower classic rock tones very well also. Nice versatile amp.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited June 2016
    Jamie Humphrys ( spelling????)

Jamie Humphries

http://www.jamiehumphries.com/

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2472
    Screamer sounds good but build quality isn't and good luck with their customer service if you have an issue. Would not buy again.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    strtdv;1094452" said:
    Screamer sounds good but build quality isn't and good luck with their customer service if you have an issue. Would not buy again.
    Bought it second hand, and I know a good tech.
    But tbh I'm a non gigging guy, just rehearse and record is the plan. So reliability is a moot point for me, having said that the gear that's let me down in the past when I did gig, was Marshall, Mesa, Ampeg.
    You never know what gonna go wrong with anything, luck of the draw.
    I don't give a crap about customer service, does it sound good? That's all I care about.

edited June 2016
    DLM;1094432" said:
    professorben said:

Jamie Humphrys ( spelling????)

Jamie Humphrieshttp://www.jamiehumphries.com/
    That's the fella, awesome player.
    Avid trout tickler in his spare time by all accounts.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Very close to the water in his new place in Sweden, then. :)