Left Handed Pedals

What's Hot
olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
edited June 2016 in FX
I was having a conversation with my friend who is Left Handed. He is currently building a pedal board and noticed that the input goes from the right to the output on the left so that the guitar cable doesn't have to run across the board. For left handed guitars this is obviously different. He questioned why there wasn't left handed pedals but then we decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2234
    It's a problem that no one is bothered by.

You could easily get round it.

Mount the first pedal in the chain upside down and on the left of the board. Run that into the right hand side of the board and proceed as normal.

Wouldn't even need to be a pedal. Just a box that has an input and output. It'll just mean a longer than average cable between pedal one/DI type box and pedal two.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    edited June 2016
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Or he should buy eventide's factor pedals an hk rotosphere and a voodoo vibe +

All have top mounted jacks with input on the left, output on the right.

Actually top mounted jacks would basically solve that issue with a minimum of extra cable.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited June 2016
    It's strings that are the biggest problem for lefties.

The ball end will hold them at the tuners - though they look crap and are a fiddly with split-post designs - but what are they supposed to do at the other end?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    Old fuzz faces (and muffs?) were back to front.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    I had a Zinky True Grit which has the ( top mounted) sockets the other way round to most pedals. PIA really.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Play standing in front of a mirror.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    EricTheWeary;1094341" said:
    I had a Zinky True Grit which has the ( top mounted) sockets the other way round to most pedals. PIA really.
    It's actually not a bad sales tactic, if it is the other way around. If you really like the pedal, you will have to design your board around the fact it's backwards. Then you are less likely to replace it in future.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72941
    As EricTheWeary said, there are left-handed pedals. They're not very common, but they're a pain in the backside because it's really easy to connect them the 'right' way round and then wonder why they're not working. Then, if you're like me you painstakingly dismantle the pedal and thoroughly investigate the fault, can't find one, and only when you've put it all back together you realise that the cables won't reach from the other pedals to the 'right' sockets so you must have had it plugged in backwards...

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience of course, this is just something 'a friend' did when he'd bought a nice new Mesa V-1 pedal and took it to a gig the same night ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    the answer is....... go wireless and the cable won't drag across the board.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    racists
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    the answer is....... go wireless and the cable won't drag across the board.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/e6505c61/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Go the JoBo / Zakk Wylde route of covering everything with tape so the knobs can't budge. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited June 2016
    the solution is to be hit on the hand with a ruler as a child.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keirkeir Frets: 139
    ThorpyFX;1094377" said:
    Has anyone got any experience with wireless systems? Any good?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    Drew_fx said:
    racists

Technically, I don't think being left handed is considered a race.
    More like a deformity, or maybe a mental health issue.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    keir said:
    ThorpyFX;1094377" said:

Line 6 g30 Cheap, reliable and you won't notice the difference
    http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/phlplls/Mobile Uploads/2016-06/EA91AE91-AE8E-4240-8054-B23167298F51_zpskpp9rcej.jpg Internet image of a True Grit. I guess you could have a board of nothing but left handed pedals, although might limit the options a bit. Thinking about it I have my expression pedal on the left of my board , so have the board to my right hand side and stand to the left of it and so potentially drag my lead across it anyway. Right, another reason to go wireless, where's the credit card...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited June 2016 tFB Trader
    keir said:
    ThorpyFX;1094377" said:
    I bought the SMOOTHOUND one at the Birmingham Guitar show. I really like it. Small, light, long battery life, very low latency, noise free. Wicked through and through. oh and Made in Britain by a thoroughly nice chap!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX;1094465" said:
    keir said:

ThorpyFX;1094377" said:the answer is....... go wireless and the cable won't drag across the board.

I bought the SMOOTHOUND one at the Birmingham Guitar show. I really like it. Small, light, long battery life, very low latency, noise free. Wicked through and through. oh and Made in Britain by a thoroughly nice chap!
    Because they had £20 off at the show I'm, probably stupidly, gritting my teeth at the thought of paying full price. Seems to have very direct competition from the Line 6 g10 now which is ever so slightly cheaper but is a similar bug style that automatically tunes itself.
    The dividing issue seems to be the power. The Hound needs batteries in the bug but the receiver can run off a standard 9v supply (with an adaptor). Whereas the Line 6 recharges the bug on the receiver but the receiver charges off a micro USB, so needs it's own PSU or access to a USB port.
    The Line 6 g30 had come down in price and these seem to be pretty much the standard wireless. However, the price went back up a bit. I'm in no rush so I might grab one of those if they get cheap again.