I didn't realise that bed bugs were a real thing!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
"Night night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite". I thought that was just a silly rhyme, I didn't know that they actually existed. My youngest daughter has been getting bites when asleep, then we found one of the little bastards. Nasty looking things. Found a second a day later. I killed the little gits, but apparently they are very hard to get rid of. The girls room is tiny, with a bunk bed and piles of fluffy toys covering the floor, perfect hiding ground for them. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited August 2016
    I thought I was the filthy one on here.  Must have brought them in from somewhere.  I get the odd flea as I work outside in the bush, but they don't last.  Anyone been to any travel lodges or hotels of late?  Carpets anf fluffly toys are filthy, I'd have her sleep in a white padded cell and wash it down with industrial grade disinfectant
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    They started after a school residential trip that she went on for a week, must have come from there 
  • They are a nightmare to get rid of. You COULD try a fumigating smoke bomb- the smoke will get everywhere & should kill everything in there (so remove the kids). 
    Fretmeister may be on to something though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    I always strip hotel beds as soon as I get into the room just to be safe.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7931
    I got bit to death in the San Francisco Marriott, 4th Street. Apparently, it notorious for spreading bed bugs. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    When my wife and daughter came back from Paris where the hotels are notorius for bed bugs, I unpacked their cases outside the house and shook all the clothes out and checked under collars etc. Everthing else, bags etc went into my bench-freezer for the night just in case any were hiding in the crevices. 

When I used to travel alot for work, some times I would end up in somer right dives and therefore used to leave my bags and clothes in the bathtub to prevent the buggers from climbing inside.

It sounds overkill, but it saved me a world of grief.. unlike some of my poor old colleagues.

Many of the travel inns etc keep on top of any problems by not having proper drawers etc that the buggers can hide in and sealing gap or anything that touches the wall, like headboards and electrical switches as these are common nesting places.

If you are unable to strip the room and freeze all possible contents and the fumigate it, then I suggest getting a professional firm in asap to prevent the problem getting worse.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I thought bed bugs are teeny tiny things that are in everyone's beds but you just don't notice them. Or are they something else?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    diust mites?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    Yeah, you're confusing them with tigers.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    They're not huge, but they're not in most people's beds these days. Probably not in most beds for 60 years or more.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I wikied. I'm not thinking of the same thing. The things in my head eat dead skin and whatnot. Prob dust mites as PolarityMan suggests.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
     The things in my head eat dead skin 
    That sounds like dialog from a Phillip K Dick book.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12419
    They are a nightmare to get rid of. You COULD try a fumigating smoke bomb- the smoke will get everywhere & should kill everything in there (so remove the kids). 
    Fretmeister may be on to something though. 
    Yup, they're bastards for hiding during the daytime. They get into cracks in the bed frame, behind electrical sockets, anywhere dark and out of the way. They need eradicating by a professional really or they'll keep coming back. Keep your eye out for marks on the bedding that looks like someone's drawn on the sheets with a felt tip pen.... it's bed bug poo and a sure sign they're still around, even if you don't actually see them. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Sporky said:
    They're not huge, but they're not in most people's beds these days. Probably not in most beds for 60 years or more.
    They really ain't fella.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Most common way of spreading is when you go on holiday and put your suitcase on the bed to unpack... then you got to next hotel or home and do the same.

They are properly hard to get rid of and if you end up with lots expect to start seeing something that looks like a rash with itchy red welts appear. Then fumigate. 

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Bed bugs are absolute cunts. They're like cockroaches if cockroaches actively schemed towards your destruction.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    OK...best way to rid your self of bedbugs...

Get kids + spouse... leave house, take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

Anything with more than 2 legs should not be allowed in a bed...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6720
    Got bitten to within an inch of my life in Sri Lanka. Particularly on my forearms. They are evil little bastards for sure.... fumigate their asses off. 
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Myranda said:
    OK...best way to rid your self of bedbugs...

Get kids + spouse... leave house, take off and nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

Anything with more than 2 legs should not be allowed in a bed...

Game over man, game over!
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom