Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

LP or no LP.....

What's Hot
I have been "anti" Les Pauls for as long as I can remember.  I had a Classic for 3 months or so back in 97(ish), but I just couldnt get on with it. Not quite sure why - a combination of neck profile, shape and weight I think.

I had resigned myself to this, and have gone the PRS route for my classic rock guitars - currently a CU22 with BK Mules and a CE22 with HB sized P90s by Cats Whiskers.

Anyway - as I approach 50, I cant help thinking "I really need a LP".  I have the Strat, and the Tele among other things - but Im getting itchy about not having a Gibbo.

So - yesterday I tried a couple as I had some time to spare, and the new standards seem pretty nice in the hand. I didnt have the issue with the shape as much (maybe its because Im now used to the Tele which I hadnt only bought in 2007) and the neck seemed a much more natural fit in my hand.

This is NOT a tonal thing - I can cover the LP ground close enough - its about having a LP just because.

So - do I get one?  IOd need to sacrifice on of my PRSs, as Im at max complement with my guitars.  Thing is this complicates the matter.  Id rather keep the CU22, BUT that means the LP I go for needs P90s - proper ones really, but I also want a translucent flame/quilt top which seems an unlikely combination.  The other option, is to either put HB sized P90s in either the CU22 or the LP.  Wont be the ones I have as the covers are wrong, but something similar.  Lollars or Fralins maybe.  I cant decide which Id rather have the HB and which Id rather have the P90s in though.

Really struggling with this.

I have the same issue over an amp lol.  I love my AFX - and have a Fender Machete for valve reference - but Im going to sell that and treat myself (again for the big 50) but cant decide on a Friedman Buxom Betty, or a custom MJW.  Martins option would be better value for money, but how close to the Betty (with a few added options) can I be sure of getting.

Im not good at these choices obviously.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited September 2016
    Get a Gold top with P90s. Either a full fat or a Tribute model. It's the classic combo.

Putting P90s in a flame/quilt top would look fine, it just looks even better on gold or ebony.

Someone on here is selling an amazing Les Paul Custom in Ebony with P90s.
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/81498/fs-2003-gibson-les-paul-custom-54-black-beauty-2750#latest
    Would be a proper special guitar for the big 50.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Why not a 56 style goldtop LP which has P90s already. remember with a Gibson - play a bunch and pick the one that speaks to you.
    In terms of amps, I suggest something that has the basic tone you reguire, everything else is possible with add on devices but you should start with the core tone even if it becomes a single channel amp.
  • The amp will be single channel - either the Betty, or an MJW.  The Friedman has a 3 pos bright and no loop, but If I get the MJW it will have a loop, and a boost - either fixed or variable.  Id go MJW every day of the week - BUT I love the tone of the betty every times Ive tried one, and would just be anxious the MJW would sound quite the same.

Thing about guitars, I just dont like block colours.  Ive tried.  I just want to see wood figuring.  Doesnt have to be heavy over the top, but It needs something.  Even my strat is a select with flame top, my Tele is natural which shows some figuring, and my Tokai has subtle flame as well. 
  • As someone who's always wanted a Les Paul - and concluded after owning 4 over a 25 year period that they just don't work for me - I'd recommend proceeding with caution.

I could have done with someone telling me that just before I bought each of them (except perhaps the first....)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It is very strange Richard. I just woke up one day and suddenly "got" Les Pauls after many years playing SGs.

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited September 2016
    As someone who's always wanted a Les Paul - and concluded after owning 4 over a 25 year period that they just don't work for me - I'd recommend proceeding with caution.

I could have done with someone telling me that just before I bought each of them (except perhaps the first....)
    Wisdom'd.
    I've come to realise that whilst I like the sound and almost all of my favourite players have used them at key stages in their careers, I just don't find a LP comfortable.
    I WANT to love them, but it's not for me. 
    However, an SG with P90s… NOW you're talking!
  • man up and play an LP. everything else is a pale imitation :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've recently had a LP itch, after years of not liking the real thing, but having owned a few inspired by guitars. Played a 2016 LP 60s T - 60s neck/p90s, recently. Loved it! Funny old game...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• IMHO if you have tried them and they didn't work for you, try something else. There are so many other 'classic' guitars to try I would move on. I keep trying them, and wierdly I love my LP Junior, but full fat LP's just don't do it for me. Then again, I'm the same with Tele's so maybe its just me? I have learnt my lesson though, never again (until next time lol).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2755
    It's not really a question of should I get one but how many you should get.     
    A goldtop p90 would do perfect for starters and then when you love that you can move onto and standard or custom followed by a custom or standard when you accept you need both.   
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    Skipped said:
    It is very strange Richard. I just woke up one day and suddenly "got" Les Pauls after many years playing SGs.
    Whereas I've gone the opposite way - used to love my LPs and hate everything else but I really like the SG shape now and getting stick of the ergonomics (or lack thereof) on a LP. The only thing making me second guess selling mine is the tone and sustain, can't get quite that thickness or sustain with an SG.
  • If it's not a tonal thing not sure why you'd really need one unless it's a purely aesthetic  thing . in terms or ergonomics , build quality , I can't see you're getting anything better than you got already, or you couldn't get for less money elsewhere .  but if you like the look of them then that's as good a reason as any , sure there's many an offset owner whose more into the aesthetics than the practicalities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1642
    Buy an Epi Les Paul and mod it. Save a fortune and you won't lose a load of money if you realise you still hate LP's.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Sounds like you've already got some nice guitars.
    It's not compulsory to own a Les Paul. Personally, I can't stand the things.
    Of course if you find one that you really love, that's a different matter.
    If you don't find one you absolutely must have, save your money.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited September 2016
    I think there are so many issues with Les Pauls. Nothing 'quite' does what one does - that fat sustaining tone can be approached with other guitars - but not completely replicated. Nothing looks as good as a Les Paul.

The issue for me is their ergonomics - they are 'so' different from a Strat, I just cannot make the transition. The bodies are too think, the way they hang on a strap, the way they balance when sitting down, the switch on the upper bout, the volumes are too out of the way, the bridge too high off the body, upper fret access, etc, etc.

Some people (Mark Knopfler is a good example) seem able to swap easily between the two - I can't. That's why I compromised with a PRS McCarty for some time - but I've moved that on (well more accurately, it's up for sale in a shop at the moment) and have come to the conclusion that the only twin humbucker guitar I really need is my 335.

I think if I'd started playing an LP rather than a Strat, I may well struggle with Strats - but I'm just too familiar with them - they feel like 'home', in a way that no other electric guitar does.

This is my experience - as always - these things are very personal.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I've always seen Les Pauls as one trick ponies. If you don't know the trick, no amount of playing will sound good.
  • Get a Junior.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    Sassafras said:
    I've always seen Les Pauls as one trick ponies. If you don't know the trick, no amount of playing will sound good.
     I've always found LPs to be quite versatile actually. With a good set of splittable pickups you can cover a lot. Only thing you can't do is the proper out of phase strat sound which is just awful anyway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14003
    edited September 2016
    I hear you, I've tried to satisfy the need with a PRS before but the desire for a Les Paul remained so caved in and bought a 2016 Standard Historic R8 (I sold a PRS CU22 and Custom Shop Strat but have no regrets). It's the looks, feel, history and mojo that comes with the Les Paul, and the Custombucker pickups sound very good as well.

On the bridge pickup with the tone rolled off to 7, amp cooking and an overdrive pedal pushing it hard there is nothing quite like it.

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited September 2016
    Its not really the tone/sound.  The PRS with Mules comes very close.  Maybe not quite as fat, or quite a much sustain, but as my main rig is an AFX, I can get that by tuning patches.  Might not be the same when I get the MJW Im planning.

Its the ergonomics I always struggled with.  When I had my Classic, I also had a US Sambora strat, and found with the mid boost on, the neck PU of the strat was just so close to the LP......and it was much easier to play.

I guess what im struggling with, is that "holy trinity" thread.  I guess I feel as a guitar enthusiast, then a strat, LP, Tele and 335 are kind of essential.  Sure you can get tones/sounds out of a lot of others - BUT they are probably the classics.  I have 3 of the 4, along with the superstrat/Floyd in the Suhr and a P90 in the CE.  I guess Im just thinking a LP for the collection more than the playing.  1 x LP and 1 x PRS seems more "logical" than 2 x PRS - whichever (LP or PRS) gets the P90.

I guess with age comes a little disposable income, where I dont actually have to choose one or the other.  OK I cant stretch to an "R" (unless a used R comes in at a similar cost to a new standard - circa £2k) but a standard is in reach with the sale of one PRS.