What's your favourite Overdrive?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31048
    I'm really really loving the BK Tube Driver at the moment. It has a warmth others don't have (well, the Jester and Blackbird have it, but again tube pedals).

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bought a RYRA Klone and it's freaking awesome into my princeton, as a clean boost it's stunning,  the overdrive is stunning too. Really tempted to get a second to use as my main drive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited October 2016
    Keeley Mod Blues Driver ( for huge chords and riffs)

Joyo Voodoo Octave ( I think it's a Rams head clone but it sounds superb)
    (EDIT* it's a Fulltone Ultimate Octave clone)

TC Dark Matter ( TS on steroids, used for boosting the other two, gain low, volume high bass rolled back)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    With a good amp all you need is a J Rockett Archer

/\ this is the key phrase - "with a good amp"! and in that vein I find the ERD EHX superb with every guitar but the Cool Cat Transparent Drive is also excellent in my rig - I seldom search for further tones.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Keeley TS-808 as it sounds good on low-med gain but just works with all the boosts and other ODs I've tried and is a great stacking OD.

The Fulltone OCD is probably my favourite and I've a yearning to try a Nobels ODR-1
  • With a good amp all you need is a J Rockett Archer
    I agree, although I have a RYRA Klone, but I imagine it's much the same. Sounds fantastic with the right amp.

Was playing a Les Paul on the drive channel of the Laney the other day and the Klone just brings out dynamics and a harmonic richness that is hard to describe. I can see why people say "I don't see what all the fuss is about", until you hear THAT sound, it's difficult to comprehend...I find it difficult to put into words, but it's hands down the best sounding drive pedal for my amp. Not to mention the gain range and versatility. Amazing!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1641
    With a good amp all you need is a J Rockett Archer
    I agree, although I have a RYRA Klone, but I imagine it's much the same. Sounds fantastic with the right amp.

Was playing a Les Paul on the drive channel of the Laney the other day and the Klone just brings out dynamics and a harmonic richness that is hard to describe. I can see why people say "I don't see what all the fuss is about", until you hear THAT sound, it's difficult to comprehend...I find it difficult to put into words, but it's hands down the best sounding drive pedal for my amp. Not to mention the gain range and versatility. Amazing!
    I must admit, this is the camp I'm in. I don't understand the desire for Klons and the like from the videos I've seen. The Archer I played did sound good even though it didn't seem to be doing an awful lot.
  • @shaunm I don't think you're alone in that mate. And there's nothing to ashamed of either. They just don't suit it for everyone. I think what this thread has highlighted is the need for the right amp with a Klone of some kind.

When I originally played an Archer I didn't really understand it to be honest and just cranked it. Then spent a bit of time with the RYRA at different gain levels and really fell in love with its sound. But it wasn't until I tried it with my amp drive that I really heard it adding something really nice to the tone. I hate buzzwords, but dynamics, harmonics and natural/wooden(woody?) are all words I'd associate with it. Beautiful!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Green Rhino or probably an OCD - the Mooer Hustle Drive I have is an OCD clone but it's fantastic.

Funnily enough I use my Pharaoh Fuzz as more of an overdrive, taking a distortion pedal or drive channel of an amp and adding the Pharaoh afterwards to fatten it up and give it more girth and weight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JanahanJanahan Frets: 54
    Lucid Audio FX Gentleman's Relish is the only OD pedal that has survived my constant GAS. Picked mine up secondhand for about £50. Think the pedal is a clone of a Timmy.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13982
    @shaunm I don't think you're alone in that mate. And there's nothing to ashamed of either. They just don't suit it for everyone. I think what this thread has highlighted is the need for the right amp with a Klone of some kind.

When I originally played an Archer I didn't really understand it to be honest and just cranked it. Then spent a bit of time with the RYRA at different gain levels and really fell in love with its sound. But it wasn't until I tried it with my amp drive that I really heard it adding something really nice to the tone. I hate buzzwords, but dynamics, harmonics and natural/wooden(woody?) are all words I'd associate with it. Beautiful!

There it is. The magic in the Klone or my Rockett Archer is using the huge volume on tap to really push the front of the amp and compliment the amps own drive then bring up the pedal gain slowly to thicken the sound and add mids to taste, as you start to bring up the pedal gain there is a sweetspot where the pedal and amp tone merge nicely.

• Sd1 or Guvnor
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72908

I've stopped looking since I got a df-2. I don't use a middy overdrive to push an amp though, the df-2 is more like a big, loose low gain distortion.
    Same and for the same reasons.

If I do use a pedal to push an amp, SD-1. But I don't own one at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • With a good amp all you need is a J Rockett Archer

Yep! it's a bloody amazing pedal and sounds fantastic through my princeton even at lower volume. The gain on this thing is incredible,
    I may get a second one to deal with the clean boost side of things.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited October 2016
    Any cheap plain Tubescreamer
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3941
    Timmy
  • Grunfeld said:
    Nobels ODR-1
    Beautifully under-priced.  Distinctive in that it's not another TS.
    Only drawback is that it's a bit noisy.  But hey, you won't hear that when you're playing.
    Rock/ Indie voiced for sure; a bit country rock at the lower drive settings.

check your jack inputs.
    I found my odr-s suffered with noise but it was down to th jack sockets

My ODR-1 is very quiet, but like you say none of it matters once you are playing

(The ODR-1 is my favourite too)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    Mad Professor LGW, like a tubescreamer but with a little more gain, mids you can dial in to suit and massive dynamic range in place of the usual compression.

Also like the bondi sick as for lower gain and the Hermida Unimoss for higher gain
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Lazy j cruiser and a ThorpeFX Warthog which can go into full distortion if one wanted to of course ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    Just to be different...

Rothwell Hellbender. All the Old-Skool Marshally goodness you could wish for in a tiny, beautifully made, shiny box!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...