Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's your fav always on delay setting...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    edited October 2016
    Re setting a delay pedal up without tap.

1. Get backing track or drummer/band
    2. Locate the beat.
    3. Decide where you want the delay to meet the beat.
    4. Put repeats about 95% of max
    5. Pluck string and adjust time until it matches
    6. Adjust repeats and mix to the real ones.

The repeats will still be going for a long time after the plucked string nd you can keep fine tuning the time with ease until it's spot on- you'll be amazed how easy this is.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72952
    Sassafras said:

Does everyone who's replied to this thread seriously use delay as an always on effect?
    On all the time they play guitar?

I can only imagine how annoying that would sound.
    No, not all the time. I do use it quite a lot as an always-on sound for a whole song though - and never with tap tempo.

When I played in a 50s rock'n'roll band I did use a slapback *all* the time - instead of reverb. 135mS, one repeat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good tip @Gassage!

@sassafras, I agree, don't think it should always be on...but whatever floats your boat!

Re: tap tempo...I'd much prefer a preset switch on something like the Nova than a tap tempo, same for the Flight Time. Annoys me senseless when builders think that Tap Tempo is the number one requirement. Give me preset switching any day!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Note to builders...tap tempo is always necessary, yours sincerely, TFB.
    FTFY.  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Sassafras said:
    Does everyone who's replied to this thread seriously use delay as an always on effect?

yes bro.   In my experience, if you have a digital delay on all the time it gets overpowering because the repeats are too clean and clear, unless you can roll the tone back on the repeats so they are gentler sounding and sit behind the guitar signal better.  Analog or tape style delay works better as an always on effect because of the way the repeats sound.  They have a reverberance like sound to them.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Sassafras said:

yes bro.   In my experience, if you have a digital delay on all the time it gets overpowering because the repeats are too clean and clear, unless you can roll the tone back on the repeats so they are gentler sounding and sit behind the guitar signal better.  Analog or tape style delay works better as an always on effect because of the way the repeats sound.  They have a reverberance like sound to them.  

Yeah, I guess it's like any time based or modulation effect. If it's used all the time and at high ratio, it soon gets very grating.
    What particularly annoys me is guys doing demos of drive pedals and they've got huge gobs of delay/chorus/phasing and God knows what else obscuring the sound of the very thing they're demoing.
    Agreed on tape delay, that can sound wonderful when used tastefully.
  • Sassafras said:

No, which is why I started my post with "None of my delays are always on". If fact I use delay quite rarely for gigs.

I thought the thread was just about slapback. Anyway, as it seems to have strayed,

As an alternative to 86ms with a single repeat for slapback, I also use ~306ms with about 3 to 4 audible repeats for a more spacy sound on occasions.

For recording I'm more fussy about timing the delays to (in some way) relate to the tempo of the track, depending on the effect I want to create.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    I had a ( nearly) always on delay for ages then went to reverb but it just disappears in most venues. Gone back to analog slapback ( with a couple of repeats low in the mix so it's not quite a rockabilly slap) to perform a similar role but you can actually hear it, although in a band mix it's fairly lost anyway, just adds some nice blur on solos.
    I turn it off for a couple of songs for  a really dry sound. Fairly sure the rest of the band have no idea when it's on or off. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyTimmy Frets: 23
    Having a tap tempo with sub divison of a 8th note /quaver Triplet is extremely usefull. You can easily tap in slapback and short delays that don't have to sync with the track tempo and if you need dotted 8th you just tap the half time pulse. I used to only tap delays that needed to match up with the songs tempo and did the shorter delays by hand but now can do them all by tap on the same setting. I wish someone had showed me this ealier
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I always have one that's about 75ms, analog and about 20% mix - not very noticeable but thickens the sound up nicely
    Stop crying, start buying
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Andy Timmons seems to cope quite well with always on delay - dials mix lvl on the fly 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Since getting the El Capistan with it's tap button I use that to sync to the beat. 

in the distant past though when I only had a WEM Copicat for delay, I had it set to maximum delay and after retiring it in favour of a digital delay used a similar delay (what would that be then? 300ms approx?) giving an appropriately spacey depth to my sound and smoothing out all the duff bits.  
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    I use a soft delay of about 330ms with two repeats at about 2/3 then 1/3 volume maybe 80% of the time.
  • Not always on, but my favourite settings I use most on the Timeline are a dark analogue with modulation at around 400ms or the Echoplex emulation. Beautiful with some amp reverb.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    I liked the RE-20 with taps 2 & 4 active (or was it 1 & 3...), about 350ms, medium feedback, low level and just a touch of the reverb. Spacey without being too "full".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."