Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why doesn't Gibson do a Snowy White 57 reissue?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    miserneil said:
    And yet it can be done. Here are 2 examples that are IMO exceptionally done. Both 2014 guitars made by one of the worlds best...

@miserneil  what are those? Draw droppingly delicious.
    Italian Jobs? It looks like the work of the Pasta Man.

I must have a '54 wraptail in my life soon.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    @Ossyrocks Yes Rob and i'm with you, the longing for an Italian Job '54 will not be sedated! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1675
    miserneil said:
    @Ossyrocks Yes Rob and i'm with you, the longing for an Italian Job '54 will not be sedated! ;-)
    @miserneil You know I've been hunting around for a 50's Junior/Special. But what I haven't revealed is that I'm seriously considering going on the waiting list for a Pasta Man '54 instead.

How long is the wait now?

Rob.

edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Ossyrocks said:
    miserneil said:
    @miserneil You know I've been hunting around for a 50's Junior/Special. But what I haven't revealed is that I'm seriously considering going on the waiting list for a Pasta Man '54 instead.

How long is the wait now?

Rob.

@Ossyrocks ;Last time (earlier this year) I enquired Rob, it was 2 years....
    (formerly miserneil)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    Most of the custom shop stuff looks horrible to me

I think only the replica lot can get close in looks and feel 

I've got to do a heavy aged 56 with bigsby, should be interesting and fun, the pic I got sent was heavily worn and not my usual preference for lightly aged 
    I think alot of this stuff gets overdone 

Ive got a 54 to make, the 54 doesn't need ageing, as soon as I give it to the guy within a couple of months it'll look aged, a burst he had started checking naturally within a month or so 

My friends got a 63 335 with hardly any checking and the condition is mint really
    A superb guitar
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Hmmm - well, as someone who doesn't like artist model guitars or relic guitars I'm not interested. But as someone who loves Goldtops and think that there are too many poxy sunburst Les Pauls in this world, at least it would be more interesting than yet another piece of flamed maple ruined by a cherry sunburst (or variations thereof) finish.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2016
    Henry's own Gold Top became a Collectors Choice. The ageing was not fantastic but at least it is a Gibson.

It is a bit depressing to see love for Replica/counterfeit guitars on the thread.
    If you buy one you can't take a gig in Nashville or Memphis.
    Even in the UK....the council could turn up any time and crush your guitar mid gig. Local Authorities have the power to seize and destroy counterfeit goods.

Vintage Les Pauls are expensive but player grade Les Pauls are only quite expensive. Heavily modified guitars are controversial (to some) but all of the working guitars used by Les Paul himself were heavily modified Gibson Les Pauls. Conversion = Heavily Modified Gibson Les Paul.
    A Conversion will cost maybe the same as 3 x Collectors Choice guitars. And it is a Gibson. And you can gig it in Nashville.
    'Burst owner Tom Wittrock has dropped strong hints several times (on LPF) that his best playing and sounding guitar is his Conversion.

But don't leave it too long.
    Before the 2008 financial crisis Conversions were fetching $65,000.
    http://www.gibson-talk.com/forum/les-paul-discussion-page/1062-saw-cool-56-conversion-burst-today.html
    There are not enough to go around so it seems reasonable to conclude that they are currently under valued at typical street price.....if you can find one.

• I don't see a problem with replicas - at all.

Who cares if a corporation (more interested in becoming a 'lifestyle brand') sells a few more units, when there are craftsmen who have dedicated there life to mastering an art?

my money would go to the artisan every time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I should have added that the Gil Yaron Replicas are fine IMO.....no worse than what Tokai have done.....and I think that Gibson should leave him alone.

Skipped said:

Even in the UK....the council could turn up any time and crush your guitar mid gig. Local Authorities have the power to seize and destroy counterfeit goods.

Bullshit. Sorry that is bullshit, they can't.

We've had this before - the only time such time copies come into the interest of the "authorities" is when they are put up for sale. The local council aren't going to burst in mid gig like the Spanish Inquisition and take away your guitar...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Hmmm - well, as someone who doesn't like artist model guitars or relic guitars I'm not interested. But as someone who loves Goldtops and think that there are too many poxy sunburst Les Pauls in this world, at least it would be more interesting than yet another piece of flamed maple ruined by a cherry sunburst (or variations thereof) finish.

I like understated and properly faded not painted that colour, i have a rough idea on what colour i want and i let the fade do the rest.
    This is my sort of burst

Another thing about replica bashing, i haven't played a gibson that sounded that good, like a burst tbh
    The last aged custom shop 6k secondhand hand piece of crap was the worst sounding les paul i've ever played and it had ox4 pickups in it, i don't think i played it more than 5 minutes, my sons old greco is way better sounding than that.
    I also had Phil Harris play mine and he said it was one of the closest burst tone guitars he'd played, that's why people buy them

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/plexiblues/guitar%20kit%20stuff/20160824_115847_zps6nbnnoi3.jpg

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited November 2016
    impmann said:

We've had this before - the only time such time copies come into the interest of the "authorities" is when they are put up for sale. The local council aren't going to burst in mid gig like the Spanish Inquisition and take away your guitar...
    I didn't say they will. They probably don't have the resources. I said they could. Trading standards are not limited to seizing goods which are for sale. For example - they can and do seize goods which are in transit. Long before they are put up for sale.

There are other ways in which a fake can come to the attention of "authorities". If you import a counterfeit guitar and HMRC discover it, they will write to you and ask for your permission within 10 days for them to destroy the guitar. Even if it cost you £8k....your best bet is to give them permission to destroy the guitar. Unless you want a load of trouble.....

• Skipped said:
    impmann said:

I didn't say they will. They probably don't have the resources. I said they could. Trading standards are not limited to seizing goods which are for sale. For example - they can and do seize goods which are in transit. Long before they are put up for sale.

There are other ways in which a fake can come to the attention of "authorities". If you import a counterfeit guitar and HMRC discover it, they will write to you and ask for your permission within 10 days for them to destroy the guitar. Even if it cost you £8k....your best bet is to give them permission to destroy the guitar. Unless you want a load of trouble.....
    With all the real problems we face in the world, people get hot under the collar about replica guitars. The mind boggles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Ok, it was me that brought the replicas into the thread, apologies if it offends anyone.

If Gibson offered a guitar as good and as close to the originals as these replicas get and a guitar as close to the originals as some players want them to be, then there wouldn't be a market for them.

But simply....They can't, So there is.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Ok, it was me that brought the replicas into the thread, apologies if it offends anyone.

If Gibson offered a guitar as good and as close to the originals as these replicas get and a guitar as close to the originals as some players want them to be, then there wouldn't be a market for them.

But simply....They can't, So there is.
    spot on

I couldn't afford one if they did so I resort to diy
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Skipped said:
    impmann said:

So in other words, they *won't*... and yes, they *ARE* only allowed to remove and destroy items that are *FOR SALE* or in transit for intent to supply. As we have made the point on many occasions it is not illegal to possess a fake/counterfeit, only to supply one. So no, it won't happen.

Do you honestly think that HMRC/Trading Standards/Teresa May's henchmen etc are going to burst onto the stage and remove Slash's "fake" Les Paul from his hands mid gig, and run off to destroy it? Or David Gilmour's black strat? Or Mike Rutherford's Shergold 6/12string with "fake" Strat neck made by Chris Eccleshall?

Its bullshit. It hasn't ever happened previously. It won't happen.

With all the real problems we face in the world, people get hot under the collar about replica guitars. The mind boggles.

Quite.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not hot. Or wearing a collar.
    And I am praising Replica maker Gil Yaron.
    His customers are very happy to play a guitar with the name of the brilliant Luthier proudly shown on the headstock. I would love it if that caught on. Maybe it will.

I am not offended that Replicas have been introduced to the thread. I said it was "a bit depressing".
    It would be very surprising  if we all agreed about everything.

• Now now! Put your handbags away!
    When I started this thread it was completely on a whim after I thought "wouldn't that be nice!" Personally I'm not a fan of replicas but have no issue with companies doing their own take on a style be it Les Paul, strat or tell etc. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I can't get that monty python sketch out of me head, now!  =)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.