Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do it all "Thrash" metal pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited November 2016
    I've tried tons of metal pedals, and settled on three that are perfect and easily cover the spectrum. As a bonus, they're not too pricey. 

Firstly, the two kings - the zoom metal and the zoom hyper lead. These are absolutely brilliant and can do classic thrash and more modern gated styles. The metal does a cool fuzz for detuned stuff, too, like Korn. 

The digitech hardwire metal is my other favourite, and ultimately the one I kept. Cheap, well built, fairly quiet, and does all of the classic thrash, high gain Marshall, modern chunk and hard rock you could want. No fuzz here - even in loose mode, it's more rectifier than muff, but that means it always keeps it together on chugs. It makes a lot of much more expensive pedals look silly, to be honest. The only negative is that, with this many sounds, it can take dialing in. I set mine for my amp, then put the knob cover on - nevertouched it since. 

I don't use it much anymore, but I really enjoyed learning protest the hero songs on it. 

As an edit, there are a couple of pedals I didn't try but would have done had I not found the digitech, because others love them. The amptweaker tight rock/tight metal and the AMT pedals (@fretmeister I think is a big fan of these). They both do amp in a box tones, and supposedly very well. I've never tried them though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Ya know I don't wanna come across like a facetious turd but ya could do alot worse than buying an actual JCM800.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2016
    Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro - does every metal sound you could want, and excels at tight chuggy thrash a la 5150 etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The MXR 5150 pedal can definitely get you into that space beyond Marshall drive - it has a vintage/modern toggle, a gate and a built-in noise gate. I only sold mine because I'm fading more into the 70's and 80's hard rock than metal at the moment.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited November 2016
    I think the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro is the clear winner here, after lots of watching YouTube footage it stands out as the best of the bunch. It does exactly what I want it to and very well at that. Thank you to you all for the recommendations there's some great pedals out there!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Lew said:
    Ya know I don't wanna come across like a facetious turd but ya could do alot worse than buying an actual JCM800.
     ;) 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5098
    edited November 2016
    Tube screamer into an 800 is the thrash sound. 

Marshall guvnor 2 sounds amazing for thrash.  
  • Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Thanks chaps but I've ordered the Amptweaker, i didn't want to spend that much but it's a beast of a pedal and well worth it.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3487
    edited November 2016
    Bloody el, you don't waste any time!!! Where did you order from?

Check out Rabea's favourite setting in the Pedal Show episode. To my ears, that's probably a good place to start. I like a touch less mids, but a key to dialling in a good tone is to use those mini toggle switches, there's lots of options there so spend time with it. 

You've made a good choice mate! Enjoy!!!

PS, also the boost is really great, I love kicking that in. 

PPS, You're making me want another one now!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    @Jonathanthomas83  Thanks mate, I ordered it from Andertons it was a choice of them or Hotrox but I've read not very good things about them.

The amount of switching options is going to keep me busy for a while! 

Ive just got to wait for the guitar to turn up now, still haven't heard anything!
  • Nice one!!! I hope you love it. If not, utilise that returns policy! Though, I'm not sure of many other pedals that would fulfil your initial criteria as well as the TMP. 

I tried out the Piod What You Want 2 and it sound great, I'll send you some clips. 

Hope the guitar turns up soon! Did you have a deal on it?

Nice one!!! I hope you love it. If not, utilise that returns policy! Though, I'm not sure of many other pedals that would fulfil your initial criteria as well as the TMP. 

I tried out the Piod What You Want 2 and it sound great, I'll send you some clips. 

Not a deal as such but they were selling the guitars at a standard price a lot cheaper than anywhere else, they just didn't have them in stock, typical!

• zepp76 said:
    Nice one!!! I hope you love it. If not, utilise that returns policy! Though, I'm not sure of many other pedals that would fulfil your initial criteria as well as the TMP. 

Not a deal as such but they were selling the guitars at a standard price a lot cheaper than anywhere else, they just didn't have them in stock, typical!
    Uh-oh, we've been here before...!

zepp76 said:

Yep, with my track record of bad luck I'm not holding my breath on them getting the guitar in at the price they were selling it for but I had to try. Still, if they can't get it I've saved myself five hundred quid and I'll just play my trusty Les Paul with the Bareknuckle P90's through the new pedal, I'm sure it's capable of producing some good metal tones......But I want EMG's damn it! Haha.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5098
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:

Yep, with my track record of bad luck I'm not holding my breath on them getting the guitar in at the price they were selling it for but I had to try. Still, if they can't get it I've saved myself five hundred quid and I'll just play my trusty Les Paul with the Bareknuckle P90's through the new pedal, I'm sure it's capable of producing some good metal tones......But I want EMG's damn it! Haha.
    Don't do it. EMGs are awful for thrash. Great for jazz. Good for woolly hat metal but lifeless for thrash.  
  • @zepp76 remind me mate, have you got something with regular humbuckers? 

• Pro tip - most pedals with millions of options have only one or two sounds you'll like - like most pedals, really. 

So if you are playing and find a sound that works, be a nerd and draw the settings. Then, should you continue tweaking, you can always return. 

The digitech hardwire metal is excellent but has two sounds I use - one is modded Marshall, the other is a really fat lead sound. Everything else sounds good but I basically set it to the Marshall sort of tone and put the knob guard on and I've not touched it for the last several months. 
  • Pro tip - most pedals with millions of options have only one or two sounds you'll like - like most pedals, really. 

So if you are playing and find a sound that works, be a nerd and draw the settings. Then, should you continue tweaking, you can always return. 
    I'd agree with that. I'm a set and forget kind of guy!

I always take a picture with the old smart phone - which can save a bit of time.

@zepp76 remind me mate, have you got something with regular humbuckers? 
    @Jonathanthomas83  I have four guitars with humbuckers.