Chainsaws - advice please

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6266
No, I haven't gone all Ash....

I want a petrol chainsaw, that will be used mainly for cutting up logs, and pruning trees. I know naff all about them, so appreciate any advice given.

Sambostar - I bet he knows about this stuff, but probably uses them as weapons, one in each hand.....;)

cheers

J
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2108
    I have a Stihl chainsaw and it's great for the above. I mainly used mine for cutting sleepers and the occasional small tree. I think it's the ms181 either with a 14" or 16" bar (I think both fit the body).  You can't go wrong with Stihl or Husqvarna.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I've got a two stroke one with a 14" bar, and apart from being high maintenance and a pain in the arse to start from cold, it absolutely terrifies me. I prefer to use an electric one although the cord is a concern. If I was buying for domestic use again I'd get a Li-On battery version.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28753
    edited May 2017
    My general opinion on chainsaws is that someone else should be operating them, and I should be many, many times the length of the blade away from them.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    What's wrong with a bow saw?

Any garden machinery powered by Tea and Cake is infinitely superior to that powered by dead dinosaurs!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    How often are you going to be using it? I ask as electric ones are cheaper, decent and less maintenance, obviously depending on the use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16174
    Sporky said:
    My general opinion on chainsaws is that someone else should be operating them, and I should be many, many times the length of the blade away from them.
    That is so true ……..if you'd seen something I saw 20 years ago you wouldn't even walk past somebody using one
    Terrible mess if the chain comes off !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16174

Snap sai

Sambostar - I bet he knows about this stuff, but probably uses them as weapons, one in each hand.....;)

cheers

J
    He can probably juggle them like cirque de soleil
    Either that or he has a leather mask somewhere hidden in the truck
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9753
    Sporky said:
    +1. I've read of some truly scary chainsaw accidents. As someone whose hobby is playing a guitar and thus very much values his fingers (as well as all his other bits and bobs) I agree with @Sporky that they are best operated by someone else.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2482
    Sporky said:
    I've been properly trained to use a chainsaw and have done so on several occasions and I completely agree with you.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited May 2017
    Swear by Stihl. MS260 with a 15" bar is the standard for cross cutting, small felling and general stuff and will cut twice the bar length obviously.  Get the one without the quick release on the chain tensioner bar attachment, although I got one that does have it and it hasn't broken yet.

Also have an old MS025 which is basically an older MS250, that's a good workhorse too.

I like Stihl because the parts like carbs etc are readily available as are generic piston and pots.  If you get a used one that doesn't have crank case or crank seal issues it will last a long time.  I'd avoid the cheaper Stihl's like the MS170 and cheaper Husqvarnas though.

Also loads of fake saws about, fairly obviously fake and the newest Stihl versions are MS 251 and MS 261.

Depends what you want it for, an old MS025 that still works good would do you.

Oh and always wear face protection and a helmet and don't cut with your body over the line of the blade, when you experience a bit of kick back at full revs you'll know why, but I think they're generally safer than circular saws.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8775
    A lot of guitarists are scared by the idea of losing fingers, or worse. However some of us need to use chainsaws.

Personally I'd go for one of the bigger names for ease of use and reliability. 14" is big enough for pruning and firewood, and will tackle trunks with a larger diameter. The longer saws are harder use because of the weight. Personally I prefer petrol to electric. You don't have to worry about cutting the cable, trapping it under cut logs, or tripping over it. You can also use a petrol saw at the other end of the garden, or anywhere else where there isn't any electricity.

FWIW mines a 14" Stihl.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28753
    To expand, I am somewhat risk-averse. If you're using a chainsaw every week then you have some opportunity to get good at it. If you use one a few times a year then it seems far more sensible to pay someone who uses one every week.

Even the groundworks people I use don't like chainsaws - they subby chainsaw work out to a tree surgeon. He clearly knows what he's doing with it, dresses like he's in The Hurt Locker and acts like he's using an underfed tiger full of explosives. I trust him with a chainsaw.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Rubbish

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6195
    Make sure you get and use all the safety gear as when something goes wrong it tends to be quick and severe!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OREGON-Chainsaw-Clothing-Universal-Leggings/dp/B0151S4948/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495213072&sr=8-3&keywords=chainsaw+chaps
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Cheers fellas, good advice all round. Maybe I'll get a junior hacksaw.....;)
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 782
    I recommend protecting the whole area with plastic sheeting. Wear a complete body suit, like the ones used at crime scenes, then tape your rubber gloves to the suit so nothing can get in. Always wear the hood up an keep it tight around your goggles. Dispose of the chainsaw after use somewhere inaccessible like an old filled in pit or deep shaft full of water and make sure the route has no cctv coverage. 

I'm sorry, I can't help you with make and model I'm afraid. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    I've been using an electric B&Q effort in the garden for a couple of years but the chain blunts really quickly. 

Literally, a few passes of some 5" branches and it's back to the shed to be sharpened again - I'm led to believe that the chain is a decent one (Oregon).... any ideas?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    RobDavies said:
    I've been using an electric B&Q effort in the garden for a couple of years but the chain blunts really quickly. 

Literally, a few passes of some 5" branches and it's back to the shed to be sharpened again - I'm led to believe that the chain is a decent one (Oregon).... any ideas?
    Chain tension?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    all you need is a cross-cut like Glenn's from Life Below Zero - he takes trees down with it!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/life-below-zero/videos/deleted-scene-glenns-new-timber-saw/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If you've got the money, then go with what Sambostar said. Stihl saws are so much easier to work on when servicing and parts are so easy to get.

However if you don't have the cash or don't want second hand, I'd also recommend Echo. Father in law bought one new and I used it to reduce a mixed hedge (laurel, hawthorn, holly etc). Seems to be a decent quality saw, maybe not as rugged as a Stihl but for the price, it'll last for what you want it for.

And do make sure the tension on the chain is just right. I've seen too many people using chainsaws with the chain nearly dangling.