wireless - L6 g30 still the best value?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Makes me think that my Shure glx16 is wirtg its money. Absolutely never had any problems with it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Cabicular said:
    I suspect the issue is the G70 is the only unit that doesn't support RF1. Its RF2 only with no way to change it.
    When I had the g30s set to RF2 I had all sorts of issues. The G70 seems to be the same

Could you explain?  I have a G30 and have no issues, but didn't realize I change any such settings?
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The later G30s were set to RF2
    to change them there is a process involving sliding the channel selector back and forth and then counting the blinks when it's switched on again
    Google it. If it's not a problem for you then leave it alone 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Thanks for that, not sure how mine is set but it's been trouble free for over a year (fate tempted) so I'll leve well alone
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3069
    It's a shame. The G70 is perfect in every respect, apart from the connectivity issue. 

Hey ho. 

R. 
  • EvoEvo Frets: 317
    I've had the g30, then up to the g90, then down to a rack mount g55.

Functionally they were all almost identical. Possibly slightly more range on the 55 and 90 but nothing I really made any use of on stage. I did like the better quality transmitters on the 55 and 90, but the main reason for cycling through them was where they were being kept and what I had in my rig (board or rack, axe fx or amp)

Currently using the shure glx, and it's perfect for me (at the moment). At the end of the day, work out what you need from a wireless and then find the best one for you.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    edited June 2017
    Just so you know, I use the G10 and love it.
    Me too.  But you do have to remember to charge it.  However, it charges very quickly - a 15 min charge will give you at least an hour of playing, 30 mins gives at least 2.5 hrs and a full charge at least 8 hrs playing time (with up to 200 hrs standby time).  I charged mine for 30 mins from flat last week and it lasted a whole 3 hr band practice session & was still going strong.

John_P said:  
    The other issue I just spotted - the g10 won't run from a power supply and needs it own usb supply - that's a bit of a pain unless there is an adaptor that would work?
    The G10 plugs into the mains via its plug & micro-USB socket.  If you want to connect it to the power supply of your pedal board, this has cropped up before but you can easily and cheaply get an adapter to do this with.  

http://line6.com/support/topic/21552-how-to-power-g10-from-a-standard-pedal-board/

I bought my G10 brand new for only £90 from Bax (special ofer) so it was an absolute bargain and some £50-60 cheaper than the G30.  Currently the G10 is around £134-140 and the G30 circa £149. If I was buying at full price today, then it would be a difficult choice.  The £15 more for the G30 gives longer range, & adjustable cable tone, but the G10 would save on batteries, has easy 'pop-less' change over to another guitar, with no transmitter to carry on your belt and its easier to set-up - so it would be a close call. Power from a pedal-board is neutral as both can do this.  

Each has its advantages/disadvantages:

The G10 is plug 'n play, has a good range (50ft - I think that's conservative as I've retained a good signal further away than that - crapping out at about 75ft!) that's adequate for most players auto-channel setting (4-channels), no battery costs (but you must remember to charge it), auto-standby (goes into sleep mode after 4 mins of non-use - restarts just by strumming guitar) with long standby life, a 'no-pop' easy switch-over to another guitar, 1/4" and XLR outs, and tonally it 'matches' the impedance of a 10m guitar cable. The USB port means you can charge it from a computer, and you can get a cheap adapter to run off pedal-board power supplies but that has to be bought separately. The transmitter fits most guitars (inc Strats) but there may be an odd exception.  The Transmitter has an LED and the receiver base has colour coded status lighting.  A flashing red LED indicates less than 30 minutes of battery operation, a flashing green LED indicates more than 30 minutes of battery operation and a steady green LED indicates a fully charged transmitter.  While docked, the transmitter and the receiver automatically set themselves to the best channel.

The G30 has longer range up to 100ft, LED status indicator, slightly more control over channel choice (6 channels, but must be manually set - Note: I've never yet had a signal/channel problem with the G10), and can go for 8 hrs on new batteries & fits all guitars. You also have greater control of 'cable' tone than the G10 but you have to keep spare batteries handy & it has no sleep mode so you have to remember to turn it off or you'll waste your batteries. A lot of folk do tend to forget about that & go through more batteries than they need.  It can connect to a pedal-board power supply without needing an adapter. Big downside is its battery case cover is very, very poorly made and is loose and/or breaks off - bad design & Line 6 still hasn't fixed it. Other than that, it's a fairly solid unit. 

By the way, our drummer has a couple of G70 Relay units - and tonally, there's no noticeable difference to the G10 - at least none any of us could tell.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Still love my G10, lasts a rehearsal and a gig on one charge but you just need to stick it on when you are setting your gear up and back in during the break and it never dies. If it did fail, you can just unplug the cable in the back and put it in the guitar - I even have a spare running from it to my Helix so I can swap if needed quickly
    So cheap and perfect for pubs, rehearsals and even bigger stages. 
    Not quite pro level but certainly not let me down yet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    edited June 2017
    Thanks chaps.   I do like the look of the g10 but I still need to check it would ft the socket on the jem - I'm sure needing an adapter helped contribute to the smoothhound falling apart again so I'm keen to avoid that - simple plug and play is the way.  

I'm playing bass this week and next so I've  got a bit of time to decide what to get but I'm leaning towards the g30 still - no batteries would be great but it sounds like everyone is happy with it and there is little point going further upmarket.   
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    John_P said:
    ...I'm leaning towards the g30 still - no batteries would be great but...  
    G30 is cheap.
    Costco batteries.  2xAA "Kirkland" own brand works out at about 28p a gig. 
    Hey, sometimes I do two gigs on 'em:  14p a gig. 
    :)

• Another vote for the Shure GLX16. I've never had any problems with it. Great tuner too.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I have the reverse socket on my Guthrie Charvel and it's fine - my Suhr Tele tho needed a wee adjustment but it was just needing pushed forward a bit as the wee button was not activating as it had nothing to push against.
    No local shop able to let you try the bug? You don't even need to be plugged in - just see if the green light comes on. :)

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    I've read bad reviews on the G30, the transmitter is plastic and flimsy, and breaks easily. I got the G50 which is the next one up. I've had it 4 years and its still working fine. 200ft transmission range (which I won't need but nice for reassurance). The transmitter is also metal which can take a bit more abuse (I'm in a touring band so gig often)

What irritated me the most is 2 weeks after I bought it they reduced the price down by £100 or so! I use a neutrik right angled cable to connect it to the guitar, the included one isn't bad but I prefer a right angle as its safer (can get knocked a lot which can break it clean off).

I know a mate that has the G10 and whilst its good (no need for rechargeable batteries as it charges in the dock) I don't like how easily it can snap off if knocked.

So if you have the money get the G50 cos its better.
    I've read bad reviews on the G30, the transmitter is plastic and flimsy, and breaks easily...
    Really, it's not.  Solid piece of kit.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    Grunfeld said:
    I've read bad reviews on the G30, the transmitter is plastic and flimsy, and breaks easily...
    How hard do you thrash about on stage? Lol.
  • jgmoutonjgmouton Frets: 30
    Don't buy the G10, it's unreliable (many comments about that on the Web).  I bought 2 of them and they both failed.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Grunfeld said:
    7 years of gigging them in 90s metal bands wedding bands and in Chillis tribute band so 2-3 times a week plus rehearsals
    And I'm no wallflower in stage
    They feel pretty naff but they can take it and have been epically reliable
    3 transmittor packs attached to 3 guitars
    Grunfeld said:
    Coming up for 6 years of gigging the G30, over 400 gigs, typically 100+ minutes playing time per gig.  Punk and rock covers as well as the odd Sex On Fire too.  I don't feel I've done a gig unless I'm pouring with sweat and everything is soaked.  The whole point of having a wireless is so I can run around and have fun!
    I like @Cabicular 's turn of phrase:  "they can take in and has been epically reliable." 
    I totally +1 that cos that has been my experience too.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Grunfeld said:
    Grunfeld said:
    Coming up for 6 years of gigging the G30, over 400 gigs, typically 100+ minutes playing time per gig.  Punk and rock covers as well as the odd Sex On Fire too.  I don't feel I've done a gig unless I'm pouring with sweat and everything is soaked.  The whole point of having a wireless is so I can run around and have fun!
    I like @Cabicular 's turn of phrase:  "they can take in and has been epically reliable." 
    I totally +1 that cos that has been my experience too.
    This is exactly the reason I've gone back to being wired. I'm almost static when I play and the need for wireless is pointless for me. Not for everyone I guess but still cool and very handy when doing sound checks etc :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/