Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John Lewis has got rid of 'girls' and 'boys' labels in children's clothes.

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Doesn't matter what they try to do, they'll never eradicate the hardwired biologically determined differences between men and women.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    To be honest it's all PC bollocks as far as I am concerned. There's a big push on all this rubbish these days. The fact is that men and women are different, if we should be doing anything it is improving equality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24456
    I think it makes sense.  Who are the shop to decide which gender can wear the clothing and which cannot.  That's down to the parents/child.  It's only clothes FFS.  That's like your local guitar emporium labelling strings as "For Tele's only".  You're not going to pay any attention to the label unless you're an idiot, same with skirts.  If you need to be told what is suitable attire for your child, you're an idiot.

This is a non-story being presented as "Political Correctness gone mad" moron-bait.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Im all for equal rights .....but Im sure John Lewis would have something to say if i flounced around thier shop wearing a miniskirt and glittery crop-top.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33849
    Im all for equal rights .....but Im sure John Lewis would have something to say if i flounced around thier shop wearing a miniskirt and glittery crop-top.
    I think we all wood would.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As I recall, sometime ago (2011?), a woman complained to Hamley's, Regent Street, London, about the categorising of toys for boys and girls, and forced them to convert their stores into gender neutral zones. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/8953771/Toys-for-boys-and-girls-are-a-no-no-at-Hamleys.html

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't care too much. I wanted nail varnish and hair clips as a kid. I still fancy cross dressing sometimes but it looks like so much effort.

Boys will mostly still want boys clothes and girls will mostly still want girls clothes. As long as no parent forces their kid to wear clothes they don't want I'm not bothered.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Doesn't matter what they try to do, they'll never eradicate the hardwired biologically determined differences between men and women.
    Yeah ... women are vastly superior and won't need men before long. The future is female .. men have no future so get your sex change booked on the NHS now.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26796
    edited September 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think it makes sense.  Who are the shop to decide which gender can wear the clothing and which cannot.  
    No it doesn't, it's utterly ridiculous. I say this purely as somebody who works for a company that designs, manufactures and sells schoolwear, and - more importantly - the person who (among other things) maintains the size tables governing which clothes are appropriate for which children (ie proportions, gender, growth predictions etc).

The modern insistence that there's no difference between genders is patently disproven by the fact that - in all growth charts, not just ours - girls and boys have fundamentally different proportions which are exacerbated after about 6 or 7 years of age.

Interestingly, we've recently had to implement "gender neutral" as an option on the site and in the growth charts - it turns out that youngsters (ie < 18yrs old) always follow the male growth pattern, but from the starting point of whichever gender they originated at. Leads to some very odd sizing requirements, such that clothes made for either gender still don't fit properly, so this move from John Lewis still won't help those people anyway.

Remember, they've only removed the gender from the labels - the clothes themselves are still going to be made the same way, with a specific gender in mind. Therefore, the only result of this is going to be that 99.99% of parents are going to have to guess whether the clothes will fit their child or not, and that will cause JL to suffer the bane of all clothing manufacturers/retailers - increased returns.

I wouldn't be surprised if their children's clothing department suddenly took a vast profitability hit. They'll be expecting this, of course, so they're obviously willing to take it in the pants for the sake of the resulting PR bonus.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Yeah ... women are vastly superior and won't need men before long. The future is female .. men have no future so get your sex change booked on the NHS now.
    ....Until they need to reverse thier car into that fucking MASSIVE parking space.
     They will need us then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ....Until they need to reverse thier car into that fucking MASSIVE parking space.
     They will need us then.
    My wife's Merc does that for her already ... :-)

Emp_Fab said:
    I think it makes sense.  Who are the shop to decide which gender can wear the clothing and which cannot.  
    No it doesn't, it's utterly ridiculous. I say this purely as somebody who works for a company that designs, manufactures and sells schoolwear, and - more importantly - the person who (among other things) maintains the size tables governing which clothes are appropriate for which children (ie proportions, gender, growth predictions etc).

Agree .. JL are in trouble though. This saves money - expect unisex designs - and therefore needs spinning by the PR gurus.

• Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Agree .. JL are in trouble though. This saves money - expect unisex designs - and therefore needs spinning by the PR gurus.
    Yeah, I'd imagine they'll bring out unisex designs across the board next, which can only have one end result - nobody's clothes fit properly.
    <space for hire>
  • GOOD. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    digitalscream said:

Yeah, I'd imagine they'll bring out unisex designs across the board next, which can only have one end result - nobody's clothes fit properly.
    That's nothing new, hipsters have been wearing them for years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited September 2017
    Well, it would be fun to get the boys to wear girls' shoes, and watch them wear high-heels as teenagers!!! LOL  

Or, we could force everyone to wear North Korean style military uniforms in the pursuit of gender equality..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23203
    rocktron said:
    Or, we could get everyone to wear North Korean style military uniforms to pursue gender equality..
    With those hats which look like they've got mixing bowls on their heads?

You can tell the guy in the middle is just wishing he could wear something pink....

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    They'll still need a special section for fat kids.
    They'll finally be able to shift that huge shipment of grey onesies they got stuck with.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    edited September 2017
    Really??? Can we just get back to alnico mags and plectrum thicknesses 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im all for equal rights .....but Im sure John Lewis would have something to say if i flounced around thier shop wearing a miniskirt and glittery crop-top.
    No they wouldn't. They probably get trans people in their shops all the time. I doubt most of them would look twice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom