drive pedals for an already overdriven marshall/blackstar amp

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
edited September 2017 in FX
suggestions please for a creamy smooth overdrive for one of these?

my gunshot is kinda too middy for it and sounds a bit boxy for my ears.  the boss SD1 sounds sort of ok when I give the higher gain channels a kick with it as all the harmonics come pouring out.

I've not had one of these style amps before and I'm just trying to tweak stuff to fit.  It might be that my ears are thinking of getting a sort of us/boogie ish lead sound out of it sometimes

The OCD into it doesn't sound right to me either - but maybe I'm just a twat and need my ears examaning

I'm also trying to identify stuff to sell so I can go buy either a prs or an eggle (that's the subtext and has been the subject of previous posts! )

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited September 2017
    I'd have said SD-1 is perfect for an overdriven Marshall style amp. I think the Blackstars are a bit less raw though, more refined in the mids, not quite as alive? Maybe something like a Rat with the gain set low to introduce a little more chaos into the mix? With the filter rolled up they can get very smooth up top, but of course the amp's overdriving so it might well add its own upper harmonics regardless of how much you roll off at the pedal.

Personally, I'd think something of that callibre is going to be the way to go - what is it about the SD-1 that doesn't make you go "This is it?" Might the slightly smoother TS-9 do the job?

I think the subtleties of more expensive overdrives with their tweaks and improvements and touch sensitivity, dynamics or whatever, while not to be sneered at, are largely going to be lost when you're kicking an amp that's already driving itself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Treble booster, SD-1 or Helix.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72581
    Is it a Marshall, or a Blackstar?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Boss SD-1 just works with Marshall and Marshall like amps.
    The MXT GT-OD is also well worth a look, a bit Tubescreamer-y, but different. A very good lead boost.
    For higher gain, the Boss DS-1 works really well with Marshall and similar amps.
    The MXR Distortion3 also works really well with these amps.

All these pedals are the gain/tone(mids)/volume type, any pedal with these controls will be worth trying (IE anything along the Tubescreamer lines). Personally I wouldn't bother with anything laid out like a preamp (IE Volume, bass/mid/treble, gain controls) although they can be, and are, very useful in other situations. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    ICBM said:
    Is it a Marshall, or a Blackstar?
    blackstar :)  series 1 6l6 (and I know what you think of them :) )
    nickp said:

In that case you probably want something more cutting/edgy than the SD-1, which is why I asked :).

If you're going for a Marshall sound are you setting the ISF to the left, not the right? ;)

To be fair, I've got a S1-45 to work on this week and it does seem to sound OK - but also a HT-50 head, which sounds dreadful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    ICBM said:
    nickp said:

In that case you probably want something more cutting/edgy than the SD-1, which is why I asked :).

If you're going for a Marshall sound are you setting the ISF to the left, not the right? ;)

To be fair, I've got a S1-45 to work on this week and it does seem to sound OK - but also a HT-50 head, which sounds dreadful.
    Who are you and what have you done with the real ICBM?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about a Spark? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you using OD1? Been a while since I played the 6L6 but IIRC the only channel that'll get close to creamy is OD1
    there's nothing horribly wrong with the SD-1 to give it a kick - it was the first thing i tried - i had one in my box and it kinda does the business - remembering i'm after a solo tone that's more american boogie than marshall - that's in addition to the native Blackstar tones which are great and i'm happy with them - nice classic rock/blues crunches and some decent slashisms.

i'm doing a major kit rejig which sadly will involve the sale of some beloved pedals, and a guitar, to buy a new guitar and a couple of pedals for the blackstar :)
    edited September 2017
    What about a Spark? 
    ta - i already use a spark booster (TC) to kick the strat to the same level as the LP without having to fanny with any volume knobs mid gig - I could try using it for a more full on boosta roll - ta ben
    Are you using OD1? Been a while since I played the 6L6 but IIRC the only channel that'll get close to creamy is OD1
    using em all :)  not too much gain on any of them so clean is just below v mild break up, crunch is on 9 o clock, od 1 similarly about 9 o clock and probably about the same on OD 2.  OD 1 is getting used a lot :)  esp with the vol knob on the guitars and the crunch channel is really good for some classic rock rhythm etc :)
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited September 2017
    An SD1 or tubescreamer type pedal, due to their mid hump, may make it too muddy - especially if you're using humbuckers.

You may be better off getting/using an overdrive with a flatter eq profile.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Friedman BE-OD? I find it versatile in terms of gain and EQ.
  • nickp said:
    Are you using OD1? Been a while since I played the 6L6 but IIRC the only channel that'll get close to creamy is OD1
    using em all :)  not too much gain on any of them so clean is just below v mild break up, crunch is on 9 o clock, od 1 similarly about 9 o clock and probably about the same on OD 2.  OD 1 is getting used a lot :)  esp with the vol knob on the guitars and the crunch channel is really good for some classic rock rhythm etc :)
    Cool

The crunch channel is my favourite on these amps. I used to own the 4 channel EL34
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    CarpeDiem said:
    Friedman BE-OD? I find it versatile in terms of gain and EQ.

That's a Marshall-in-a-box style pedal, yes?    Marshall pedal into a Marshall amp?  I don't see the point?

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_S said:
    CarpeDiem said:

That's a Marshall-in-a-box style pedal, yes?    Marshall pedal into a Marshall amp?  I don't see the point?

Ro_S said:
    CarpeDiem said:

Yes, it is a Marshall in-a-box style pedal. It's capable of high gain, but there's an internal pot allowing you to back the gain range lower. I've had mine going from Slash type creamy lead to high gain riffing.
    Sassafras said:
    ICBM said:

To be fair, I've got a S1-45 to work on this week and it does seem to sound OK
    Who are you and what have you done with the real ICBM?
    OK…. I have to admit it. I based that post on about two minutes at the end of a day with a partially working amp. (Clean channels dead, just the crunch channels working.)

I've now got it fixed, and had a proper listen to it - and it's not anywhere near as good as I thought.

It *is* better voiced than the other Blackstars I'm more familiar with in that it's noticeably brighter and clearer. But the problem is that it's horrifically stiff and hard-sounding - really cutting and brash, not bright in a good 'sparkly' Fender-type way, more like a solid-state amp even though it's mostly valve. And I *like* solid-state amps!  I thought my old Peavey had a tendency to be too steely and bright if you're not careful with it, but this Blackstar is worse - and unlike the Peavey, turning the bass up high and the mids low doesn't seem to soften it much.

So my answer to the OP's question is that you're probably going to need a Mesa V-Twin, which is the only pedal I have heard to date which can really give valve-amp-like depth and responsiveness to a hard-sounding solid-state amp, so I expect it would work with this too. Surprisingly, it's much more 'Marshally' than you would expect for a Mesa product. There is a reason for that... ;)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    A Suhr Koko Reloaded would be a good choice here. A clean boost and a multi choice mid boost in one pedal. Very useful indeed. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

ICBM if time allows could you try driving the Blackstars from the FX return ? I would love to know if the 'stiffness/steeliness ' is in the pre amp or PI/OP stages.

Dave.