Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone still do the lottery?

What's Hot

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995

in a work syndicate with about 11 of us. We only go in for it after a few roll overs.

We've definitely lost more than we've won.

all winnings so far have gone into the Xmas beer fund.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I used to do it quite often but stopped when it went from a pound to two pounds.  Just can't justify the continual throwing money down the drain!
    There are some who call it an "idiot tax".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I did it once not long after it came out. I didn't win so I never did it again. They had their chance and they blew it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    When I had more money I did it every week.

Now I'm skint I never bother - it can look very like a tax on the poor on occasion....
    I bet plenty of filthy rich folk do it. You just don't see them down the newsagents because they send their butlers or footmen down to buy the tickets.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1870
    Yeah, we do it. When the price went up we reduced the number of lines we do. However low the odds are of winning, it's still better odds than me finding financial security any other way.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3597
    Part of the work syndicate and the pub syndicate. Logic being if they strike gold you are still friends, just richer. i can think of little worse than being left at work with a bunch of newbies when all your collegues bugger off.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    They say you've got more chance getting killed on your way to buy a lottery ticket than you have winning it. That's why I send the missus to get ours..............win, win.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    axisus said:
    I used to do it about twice a year, but the double whammy of doubling the cost (outrageous!) and switching win odds from 15 million to one to 45 million to one killed it stone dead in the water for me. Not done it since.

My gambling preference is Premium bonds. Not really a gamble as you can get your money back any time. I upped my stake up to quite a few grand about 17 months ago. Seven £25 wins thus far, still hoping for a big one ....
    The lottery needs more reward, Since they change it it's really not worth while (of course unless you win) 

They should have higher small prize wins. You win more playing an online slot machine than buying a lotto ticket. 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10381
    My wifes cousin had a multi million pound win a few years ago,which goes a long way when you live in Grimsby.

He's a big Grimsby Town fan and invested in the club.Bought a whole new team for £19.53 if I remember correctly.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589
    I've played the same two lines since the Lottery started so I'm tied in. I pay by direct debit and have had a few wee wins in the last couple of years, several £25 and a couple of higher ones (£95?).

• I don't do the lottery, I bet on the horses and make far more than I did on the weekly Lotto. I always think of local 'Lotto Lout' Michael Carroll when it comes to the lottery, spunked £9.7M and is now back on the bins.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353

I don't do the lottery, I bet on the horses and make far more than I did on the weekly Lotto. I always think of local 'Lotto Lout' Michael Carroll when it comes to the lottery, spunked £9.7M and is now back on the bins.

I see people like him and I think what an utter twat. He could have been set up for life. Over in America they talk about the curse of the lottery, life hasn't gone well for many big winners.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5589

I don't do the lottery, I bet on the horses and make far more than I did on the weekly Lotto. I always think of local 'Lotto Lout' Michael Carroll when it comes to the lottery, spunked £9.7M and is now back on the bins.

He lives in my town now and was working in a local biscuit factory last I heard.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24614
    They should have just shot him and given the money to charity.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 618
    Emp_Fab said:
    They should have just shot him and given the money to charity.
    PMSL - and the irony is if you did it, you'd be the one sent to prison
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    DiscoStu said:

He lives in my town now and was working in a local biscuit factory last I heard.

I read an article in the paper a while back that reported he'd moved to Scotland and was working in an abattoir.

That was a quite a while back though.

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    edited September 2017
    The main problem with winning the Lottery would be the inevitable begging letters...............

So I resolved that I'd still write them. 

Apols..one of me Dad's puns.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12484
    Used to do £5 a week but I packed it in when I split with my ex wife. She still does it and uses the same numbers afaik. My son would soon tell me if she'd won more than a tenner, so looks like I've saved a packet over the last 7 years. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Premium Bonds. I get the going high street rate of 1-1.5% return on the stake annually and still have that stake money to call back and always the chance of a big win into the bargain... Seems like I am having a flutter on someone else's money here!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>