Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cold cures...

What's Hot

... well, not cures - as there aren't any - but what do you guys take to alleviate the symptoms of a wet, heavy cold and cough that makes you feel like crap during the day and stops you getting a decent night's sleep?

I generally take nothing and let the thing take its course... but I'm keen to know what works... so I can get a decent night's sleep and be a bit more productive during the day.

Thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hot Toddy: juice of half a lemon + teaspoon of honey in a mug 3/4 full of hot water. Top up with whisky (not paintstripper obviously but neither do you need the most expensive single malt - try Sainsburys own brand Highland Blend which tastes on its own much better than it should for the price and will do you nicely for a Hot Toddy).

The more Hot Toddies you drink the less you care about being ill, and you sleep better :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Water, rest. Seriously, if I force myself to work it takes at least twice as long as just having a day off.

I appreciate that can't work for everyone. Or even many people at all... 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    Stay hydrated; avoid booze, it suppresses your immune system and means you don't sleep as well.

Lemsips for the paracetamol and decongestants, Vicks Vaporub for breathing better while you're asleep, and as much rest as you can.

Also I refrain from shaking anyone's hand if I'm ill; no point passing it on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Whiskey, and lots of it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Supposedly rubbing vic on the soles of your feet at night works. I've not tried this btw.
    You can power through to a point, but recognise what that point is and then retire to your bed and let your body recover (as only it can).
    Those Branded cold remedies are all but identical to the supermarkets own brand 'cold remedy' which cost far less and might aleviate the symptoms but can't cure the cold.
    There is some evidence (mostly old wives tales) that chicken noodle soup helps, I recall reading that something in the chicken meat or skin had an effect and the soup part ensured the body got fed anyway. Powdered soups and pot noodles with chicken 'flavour' don't count. I've felt the benefit of chicken noodle soup during a bad bout of mad flu, purely unscientific though, I've had it other times and felt less appearant benefit. Still I got to eat soup!
    Feed a cold and starve a fever they say. Anyway lots of interesting folk on yootoob to while the day away.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Double dose of Night Nurse.

Best night’s sleep you’ll ever have, used to do it all the time when I was at sea and it was rough. Works a treat when you have a cold, too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15613
    Double dose of Night Nurse.

Best night’s sleep you’ll ever have, used to do it all the time when I was at sea and it was rough. Works a treat when you have a cold, too.

snigger etc.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hot drinks, lemon/honey/ginger etc. CHicken and noodle soup works well too. Just recovered from a nasty chest infection and I was pretty much drinking that throughout.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11328
    Extra-strong laxatives.

You won't dare cough.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Tesco Max day & night cold & flu capsules - made my last one at least bearable, and helped stop the dripping nose.

• Water, rest. Seriously, if I force myself to work it takes at least twice as long as just having a day off.

I appreciate that can't work for everyone. Or even many people at all... 
    I’d have a day off for a flu or heavy virus, but just a standard cold shouldn’t stop anybody working.   I’ve not had a day off my current job, been here 11 years.  I used to be on site a lot but work at home a lot now so it’s not so bad, definitely wouldn’t try to force myself anywhere is I was really ill.

As for cures, time, the odd Lemsip, avoid hard excercise / sport.  But really just time.   Night Nurse is good to sleep theough an annoying cough.

I also take a homeopathic remedy.   Rather than buy it though I just get it straight out of the tap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paracetamol and lots of fluids. 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    Lots of water, fruit and rest. 
  • My wife swears by a dry sauna
  • Brandy. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28652
    menamestom said:

I’d have a day off for a flu 
    You can't get over flu in one day. Real flu knocks you out for a week at least.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    menamestom said:

I’d have a day off for a flu 
    You can't get over flu in one day. Real flu knocks you out for a week at least.
    Yes, probably more to be fair.  I've only had it a couple of times and both took 3-4 weeks to totally recover.  Fortunately I've not had it for many years and have the flu jab now. I didn't mean just one day off, even though it looks like I did ;)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Echinacea drops in a small amount of water :)
  • Root ginger. Peel  it and steep it in boiling water. Use big lumps of it and get as much of it down your neck as you can. In large doses it's very strong to taste but I enjoy it, especially with lots of honey stirred into it.
    Sorts me out every time, not in the sense of a magic cure but it speeds up the recovery process by boosting your immune system. When the cold weather comes I often use it to prevent colds etc.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    AS SOON as you get a sign of an impending cold, dose up on Garlic Tabs and some fresh orange. Seems to stave it off for me.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>