Pedal fixings!

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
morning peeps.

I have to put together two identical pedal boards for someone. On my own board I have used the little “bike chain link” type things (see pic).

Been googling my backside off trying to find these again as it appears the original shop no longer exists.

any ideas who is selling them? Other than stewmac in the states that is.

http://a67.tinypic.com/33jpbgl.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The clue is kind of in the name - just buy some bike chain links! :-D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    The clue is kind of in the name - just buy some bike chain links! :-D
    Was considering that... but... really can’t be arsed with buying a chain and cracking all the links off... messy and time consuming...
  • Cool er link, thanks, I'd no idea such a thing exists :)
  • If you have a chain cracker most bike shops have old chains for free - dead easy
  • Plenty of cyclists on here, just ask! I don’t have a dead one at the moment though.
    All sorted with the stuff from toolstation... easy to cut with snips (which I have)... 80 of the little feckers cut in a very short time... still have about 8meters left!. It will also be useful for making up a couple of brackets to hold power supply’s under the two boards!...

http://a66.tinypic.com/2m3fred.jpg
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Why not Velcro? 
  • I have loads, let me know how many you need and you can have them for the cost of postage.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    I have loads, let me know how many you need and you can have them for the cost of postage.
    Hi, cheers... but I need 80!... I think I’m sorted with the stuff from toolstation but... if I get stuck I’ll let you know!... thanks again!...

see, this is why this site is so good!
    rico said:
    Why not Velcro? 
    Velcro is not strong enough tbh... the two boards are going to get a lot of use and they’re not going to be changed often. Better to have everything nailed down on these!.
    poopot said:
    rico said:
    Why not Velcro? 
    Velcro is not strong enough tbh... the two boards are going to get a lot of use and they’re not going to be changed often. Better to have everything nailed down on these!.
    Fair enough, it was a genuine question!
    rico said:
    poopot said:
    rico said:
    Why not Velcro? 
    Fair enough, it was a genuine question!
    Totally... I have booted a pedal off the pedal board on more than one occasion when they were Velcro’d down!... :) 

also I like to use the solderless cables and whilst they are excellent (short runs, low capacitance etc) they are also unreliable if the pedals have any movement to them. Bolting the pedals down solves this!...

the flip side side is that it is a pain if you want to swop stuff out regularly but like I said the two boards won’t be changed, one main board and a backup!...

will post pics once they are done, just waiting on delivery’s of all the toys :)
    I agree with solderless cables, makes a noticeable difference and is much neater although I am two plugs short of a complete board :( 
    rico said:
    I agree with solderless cables, makes a noticeable difference and is much neater although I am two plugs short of a complete board :( 
    Just ordered 44 George l’s plugs and 4m of cable today :/
    poopot said:
    rico said:
    Feel free to make me one ;)
    I would... but then I’d have to get two more plugs :)
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    rico said:
    I must have a couple of spare plugs kicking about.

If you're genuinely stuck then PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of George L's or similar.

Not sure what I have in terms of cable...how long do you need it?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    poopot said:
    rico said:

If my experience with George Ls is anything to go by, you'll be ordering a job lot of soldered cables in a few years time when you get fed up with failure after failure.

If anyone wants an old bike chain I'll have one in a week or two when I can be bothered to get round to sorting out my road bike.

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    crunchman said:

If my experience with George Ls is anything to go by, you'll be ordering a job lot of soldered cables in a few years time when you get fed up with failure after failure.

FWIW that’s been my experience too. I perceived them as high quality - perhaps because they were so expensive :-). But despite quite a bit of perseverance and re-doing, they were just flaky, and I’ve now replaced them all. I even replaced some with real cheapo soldered ones which, ironically, have never let me down.