Amazon postage rip off!

What's Hot
I haven't used Amazon for some time. Just went to order 1 book and 1 CD and the tax avoiding wankers want £5.99 for next day delivery, what a piss take! They also insist you enter and save you card details, I don't want my card stored with these shits. Ordered elswhere, items cost a bit more, but don't have to save my card details, next day guaranteed delivery was half of Amazon's and they give the full bill total without me having to enter my card details. I assume Amazon are trying to claw back some profit on postage?
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• probably
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11947
    edited December 2017
    The next day deliver cost has been standard for ages.  It is next day, I mean if you go to the post office to post something RMSD, it’ll be at least £5.

i don’t have a problem with it, it’s caveat emptor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    You were happy to do business with them before they asked you for £5.99 for postage. Whatever tax avoiding they may or may not have undertaken wasn't a problem for you until that point. Just sayin'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2017
    The next day deliver cost has been standard for ages.  It is next day, I mean if you go to the post office to post something RMSD, it’ll be at least £5.

i don’t have a problem with it, it’s caveat emptor. Take it or leave it, don’t like it, don’t buy it.
    Who me? I first used them early 2000s, just not so much in the last few years. I have left it and gone elsewhere, just amazed at the rip-off postage for two small items, sure postage used to be much more reasonable.

You do realise that Amazon pay a fraction of the postage costs the general public at a post office do?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    You were happy to do business with them before they asked you for £5.99 for postage. Whatever tax avoiding they may or may not have undertaken wasn't a problem for you until that point. Just sayin'.

Err yeah, my post wasn't a rant about them being tax avoiding, just shit postage costs. Guess I've got used to better proced service elsewhere online.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I don't use Amazon and they're not even the cheapest online shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:

i don’t have a problem with it, it’s caveat emptor. Take it or leave it, don’t like it, don’t buy it.
    Who me? I first used them early 2000s, just not so much in the last few years. I have left it and gone elsewhere, just amazed at the rip-off postage for two small items, sure postage used to be much more reasonable.

You do realise that Amazon pay a fraction of the postage costs the general public at a post office do?
    Go find out how much it cost to post a letter via RMSD.  Basically a piece of paper.

its not really about weight and it’s not a sliding scale either, it’s just fixed.  Someone will say that’s a bargain when you order 100 x 24 packs of 2L coke.  It’ll still be the same price.

actually.  I bet if you buy a TV and pick free delivery, it’ll come via courier next day.
    Sassafras said:
    I don't use Amazon and they're not even the cheapest online shop.
    Too right . I think some buy unquestioningly from Amazon thinkning it's the cheapest out there. Plus there seems to be a lot of things like perfume on Amazon that are fake.
  • Amazon are superb imho...

Prime means I rarely pay postage, and there is sometimes a difference between Amazon direct and companies using Amazon to sell through...

As for card storage, it means I can order one touch and its at my home by next day.

Many sites store card details.

Just my two penneth...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Octafish said:

Go find out how much it cost to post a letter via RMSD.  Basically a piece of paper.

its not really about weight and it’s not a sliding scale either, it’s just fixed.  Someone will say that’s a bargain when you order 100 x 24 packs of 2L coke.  It’ll still be the same price.

actually.  I bet if you buy a TV and pick free delivery, it’ll come via courier next day.
    I used to work for Royal Mail so I have got a good idea of the ins and outs. Royal Mail have their own business/sales team dedicated to Amazon, they probably pay less than half the going rate for Special Delivery. Besides I've got gauranteed next day delivery from www.hive.co.uk, who I've used in the past.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Amazon are superb imho...

Prime means I rarely pay postage, and there is sometimes a difference between Amazon direct and companies using Amazon to sell through...

As for card storage, it means I can order one touch and its at my home by next day.

Just my two penneth...
    The other thing is Amazon lockers.  

I buy a lot of things online and gets to a point it’s embarrassing when something arrives at work everyday so I send it to local amazon locker which I pick it up when I do my shopping.  No need to sign for, it’s there conveniently when I pick up my food too.
    Amazon are superb imho...

Just my two penneth...

I buy a lot of things online and gets to a point it’s embarrassing when something arrives at work everyday so I send it to local amazon locker which I pick it up when I do my shopping.  No need to sign for, it’s there conveniently when I pick up my food too.
    Fair enough, I get around that issue by being a stay at home Dad =).

Going completely off-topic, are you the guy who's done some photography for Chase Bliss? If so you posted a short gif earlier in the year of you demoing a reverb pedal, some US boutique thing (proabably analogue). If so do you remember what it was, sounded really nice, but I lost the link I saved.
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:

I used to work for Royal Mail so I have got a good idea of the ins and outs. Royal Mail have their own business/sales team dedicated to Amazon, they probably pay less than half the going rate for Special Delivery. Besides I've got gauranteed next day delivery from www.hive.co.uk, who I've used in the past.

The point isn’t how much profile amazon might make but the point is if you can get it cheaper if you go post something and the point of that if you buy a TV, it’ll still be £5.99.

im not debating your choice of buying it from elsewhere but I do find getting worked up about their postage a bit weird.

Its just postage and it’s just £5.99, let it go, you’ve already bought it elsewhere man, breath.
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:

The point isn’t how much profile amazon might make but the point is if you can get it cheaper if you go post something and the point of that if you buy a TV, it’ll still be £5.99.

im not debating your choice of buying it from elsewhere but I do find getting worked up about their postage a bit weird.

Its just postage and it’s just £5.99, let it go, you’ve already bought it elsewhere man, breath.
    I CAN'T LET IT GO..... arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :#
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9906
    edited December 2017
    Those of us who pay for prime would get a bit frustrated if next day was free without paying for Prime. There's also the thing that next day is quite a luxury whereas standard delivery, usually only a few days, gives you the choice of free delivery. It doesn't have to be all now now now.

Plus if you're a stay at home dad, urgent delivery wouldn't be such a big deal I'd have thought, just stream the CD via Spotify if you can't wait for it maybe
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:
    Octafish said:

I CAN'T LET IT GO..... arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :#

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazon are great, I got my copy of Steeler's debut album (with Yngwie on guitar) today for the mere sum of £12.04.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    Octafish said:

Fair enough, I get around that issue by being a stay at home Dad .

Going completely off-topic, are you the guy who's done some photography for Chase Bliss? If so you posted a short gif earlier in the year of you demoing a reverb pedal, some US boutique thing (proabably analogue). If so do you remember what it was, sounded really nice, but I lost the link I saved.
    Ah yes, that's me.  I actually had the pleasure of meeting Joel and the man behind Knobs (YouTube Demo Channel) the other week.  

The reverb pedal you are thinking of is Hungry Robot Stargazer. 

Here are a few tricks with Amazon that I like to use which isn't on other sites.

1 - You can get plugins to track the price of any item.  You can see historic prices so you know at an instant whether the price you are looking at are super cheap (and likely to shoot up again soon, like a pricing error) or it's the same as always.  Or simply Amazon put it up and then lower it down for Black Friday Sale, making it look like its a sale.  They do that, and there are ways to catch them out.

2 - If you sign up to Prime, and pick the free delivery options, you get credits back from other parts of the store, like Pantry stuff (food), or media credits (MP3).  So if you don't need something urgently, and you can use these credits, it's almost free money.

3 - The other stuff like Prime video, Music and Cloud Store, a huge bonus if you use them.

4 - Their customer service, the best online, bar none, being the size that they are, it is quite amazing really, and it is 24/7 because you can do chat online.  And if you have a late delivery, they will give you a month of Prime for free.

5 - I like the Amazon Lockers, i like they deliver on Sundays.

Sample of tracker plugin below.

• £1.99 delivered to an Amazon locker, every time Ive used it its been next day. I think £5.99 for next day delivery isnt that bad at all, some twats on ebay charge that and it takes a week.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28773
    RaymondLin said:

4 - Their customer service, the best online, bar none, being the size that they are, it is quite amazing really, and it is 24/7 because you can do chat online.  And if you have a late delivery, they will give you a month of Prime for free.

No.

Amazon doesn't do customer service.

They do sending you another one.

They are a logistics company - their two solutions are to send another one, or to give you some money back.

Try getting a replacement for a lithium ion battery that turns up damaged and you'll see how bad they are at service. You can't return a damaged battery, so they can't give you a refund. Their processes simply can't cope.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."