Jazzmaster Staytrem owners - help please

What's Hot
jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 671
edited March 2018 in Guitar
Hi all, can some people with Jazzmasters and Staytrems post some photos of how high they have their bridges?

I feel like I have to have mine much too high to avoid fret buzz and think that I may need the truss rod adjusting
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7213
    Hi all, can some people with Jazzmasters and Staytrems post some photos of how high they have their bridges?

I feel like I have to have mine much too high to avoid fret buzz and think that I may need the truss rod adjusting
    Which model is yours? (Pic coming)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Does the neck have a shim? If it does, try it without. The only time a high bridge is a problem is if the strings catch on the back edge and it impedes vibrato function/tuning stability. Or if it's really high, you can't get the pickups close enough to sound how you want. 
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    If your neck is straight or close to and you are getting buzzing it may be (depending on the model) that you need a shim in the neck pocket to increase the break angle a little.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27232
    I'll check mine but 99% sure it's identical to @GavRichList's ;

If you're getting fretbuzz that should be a neck/truss issue or a high fret, usually not a bridge issue. 

Is it a) everywhere b) at the low frets c) at the high frets or d) at only one or two specific frets?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Cheers, that's significantly lower than I'm able to get mine

Mine is a 2006 MIJ, strung with 11s. If I had mine that low I'd definitely get a lot of fret buzz.

I don't think there's a shim (never checked), reckon the neck might be too straight?
    how high is your bridge pickup?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I'll check mine but 99% sure it's identical to @GavRichList's ;

If you're getting fretbuzz that should be a neck/truss issue or a high fret, usually not a bridge issue. 

Is it a) everywhere b) at the low frets c) at the high frets or d) at only one or two specific frets?
    All over but mainly at the higher frets
  • how high is your bridge pickup?
    a bit lower than Gav's.

I'll try and get some photos
    how high is your bridge pickup?
    The AV65s have a slightly re-angled neck pocket, so the break angle is pretty steep. Hence the bridge pickup height. 
    @GavRichList

that would explain why my mastery was on stilts when you sent it back. I had to drop it a shitload after you borrowed it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @GavRichList

that would explain why my mastery was on stilts when you sent it back. I had to drop it a shitload after you borrowed it.
    Yep 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What can you use to make a shim?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    What can you use to make a shim?
    Playing cards, plectrums, sandpaper, wood scraps, old debit cards, business card. Fender used to cut up bits of fiberboard (the stuff the amp circuits were built on) as shims from the factory. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Mine is quite a bit lower, know buzz, strings clear the back the bridge fine.

Gagaryn said:

My CS is very similar, although rocking a mastery
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1031
    If you're getting buzz mostly on the high frets your neck is probably too straight or even has some backbow. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're getting buzz mostly on the high frets your neck is probably too straight or even has some backbow. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking
    Gagaryn said:

My CS is very similar, although rocking a mastery
    Yep, that’s about where my jag is too