Finished Pics! C18Q1 Swift Lite Version 2

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Remade the knobs.  I think these will do OK - a bit more subtle than the larger MoP dot :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8709
    I prefer them
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1772
    Remade the knobs.  I think these will do OK - a bit more subtle than the larger MoP dot :)

That looks spot on (if you'll pardon the pun ;-) )
    Suits the figured top more than a metal knob too, IMO.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited March 2018
    On the home straight now - the finishing

I've spent a bit of time sanding out rough-sanding lines, smoothing curves and starting to get close to the finished neck profile (I'll finally finish that once it's all strung up and playable) and now started the slurry-filling and preparation for varnishing.

The figuring on this amboyna simply HAS to have full gloss, so I'm going to revert to Ronsealing the body and tru-oil slurry and buff for the neck.  But, I also slurry and wipe with tru-oil before applying the gloss - I find it shows up any missed sanding marks and also produces a wonderful grain-filled base for the gloss coat.

Got a bit more to do on the back, but the top is just drying fully before the first gloss coat:

The back is almost there - just a touch of sanding work remaining around the control chamber.  I will also deepen the hatch rebate before the gloss goes on:

Oh - weight at the moment, 3lbs 11oz

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    After a couple of slurry-and-wipe sessions with Tru-oil, I've then given it three wipes with slightly thinned Ronseal Hardglaze applied, as usual, with a budget soft micro-fibre cloth.

Although the new formula Ronseal is a bit quirky and doesn't self level quite enough, this is probably the quickest I've got to an acceptable finish at 3 days total from sanded wood:

After a week of letting it harden fully, I will polish it up properly with Meguiars Ultimate compound but this is perfectly tough enough for normal handling already so hopefully the build will be finished over the next 2-3 days :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Getting closer.

Piling everything left to fit onto the digital scales, the total final weight is looking like it's going to be under 5 1/4 lbs :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And finished!

I've wired the electrics '50's style' to give a broader range of tone possibilities if Jane needs them in the future and added magnets for the cover with a thumbnail access:

I know slim guitars, fancy wood guitars and gold trimmings aren't everyone's taste but, ladies and gentlemen, here is my C18Q1 entry:

I present to you the 5lbs 4oz Swift Lite Mark 2 ;) 

As always, many thanks for the encouragement and help along the way - always greatly appreciated!  :)

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1772
    That's stunning Andy, you should be very proud and I hope the new owner loves it!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stunning Andy!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Lovely!

We ought to get all of the 'Slim Swifts' together (basses as well) for a jam. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    Lovely!

We ought to get all of the 'Slim Swifts' together (basses as well) for a jam. ;-)
    Now there's a thought! :)
    ... and thanks for the feedback, folks :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8709
    It’s been a pleasure watching the build Andy
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • impmann said:
    Lovely!

Good band name, that.
    ...or Byrds Lyte
  • So glad I found this, absolutely amazing. 
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Just read the thread from start to finish. Great work and really encouraging for my own build.
    Simon_M said:
    Just read the thread from start to finish. Great work and really encouraging for my own build.
    That's great - thanks!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Wow I missed this one Andy you have serious skills sir I always love reading your build threads. 
    Thanks, folks - and particular thanks to @ThePrettyDamned ; for giving the thread a bit of a revival :)