Most cost effective but easy way to get rid of car

What's Hot
Well my 15 year old MG TF has failed it's NOT on emmisions. 3rd blown Cat in Three years. I don't want to plough any more money into the car. Otherwise it's in good Nick. Only 69000 miles on the clock. New tyres, new break disks. Goes like stink (160 bhp).
So it has to go and quickly. 
Any ideas on the best way to get rid and get at least some money back on it but without the hassle of advertising it in autotrader/pistonheads?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• supessupes Frets: 185
    i’d put it on one of the facebook groups, cars for sale uk etc. See adverts like this all the time and people buy them if the price is right. You shouldn’t have loads of timewasters. They buy them to do them up and sell on or strip and sell parts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29048
    I got rid of the last car I sold via wewantanycar, but it was a bit newer. They were straightforward enough though, didn't bait & switch on price and it was very quick and painless. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Your local scrap yard will give you cash for it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Look on the MG Owners Club website, they have a classifieds section, someone on there might be looking for one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    Webuyanycar.com

Where according to their adverts, three out of ten people aren’t happy with the deal they get.

But it is quick and easy...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    ICBM said:
    Webuyanycar.com

Where according to their adverts, three out of ten people aren’t happy with the deal they get.

But it is quick and easy...
    The wewantanycar chap said that the unhappy ones tended to be those who'd "forgotten" a dent in the door, or that the radio didn't work, or that sort of thing, and didn't agree that such things affected the value.

And that number suggests that 70% of customers are happy.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    I've used webuyanycar before and was happy enough.  Possibly not as high a price as I'd have got from a private sale, but higher than I was offered as a PX.  Again, no attempts to change the price.  I agree with Sporky that where people neglect to mention certain issues seems to be where people have problems. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72951
    Probably. I must admit I didn’t even get that far - the offer was laughably low even given that I knew it wasn’t worth much. They then bombard you with emails for weeks...

But there’s an office in the same building I work in, and they seem to do a lot of business.

I just think the ‘seven out of ten are happy with the deal’ ad claim is a little odd, when it doesn’t take a genius to work out that it means three out of ten (which is a lot) aren’t.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    Yeah, I guess.  I think they're just fairly open with the fact that they aren't necessarily offering the best price. What you do get is a quick and fairly hassle free sale and money in the bank, which can often be a better option than PXing. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    eBay. Probably won’t get much, but it’ll sell.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    ICBM said:
    Probably. I must admit I didn’t even get that far - the offer was laughably low even given that I knew it wasn’t worth much. They then bombard you with emails for weeks...

But there’s an office in the same building I work in, and they seem to do a lot of business.

I just think the ‘seven out of ten are happy with the deal’ ad claim is a little odd, when it doesn’t take a genius to work out that it means three out of ten (which is a lot) aren’t.
    I think they have fairly dynamic "wants". I got a good chunk more than the Parkers private sale price, and more than the dealer offered. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    JerkMoans said:
    And then the buyer will claim (1) it didnt arrive (2) the cat converter needs replacing (3) wrong colour, and raise a refund with Ebay.

Alternatively, and as long as you’re not expecting any money for that 15 year old car, you could leave it parked up in Liverpool (or Birmingham) with the keys in the ignition.
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Gumtree is alright for flogging a car quick. My mates car failed it’s MOT, he couldn’t be bothered with it anymore so got a new car, put his old one on gumtree for a reasonable price and it sold the same day. It was bought by a second hand car dealer who I suspect fixed it up easily and made a decent profit on it. Quick and easy sale and he got more than we buy any car offered so might be worth just making a quick ad and seeing if you get any interest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9811
    I used webuyanycar for selling my dad’s car when he could no longer drive. He was nearly 90 so didn’t want the hassle of selling privately. Got a little less than he wanted but it was in the ballpark, and it was quick and easy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It may not be the cat that’s failed. Common issue is coolant temperature sensor failure or poorly fitting exhaust components. 

Worth getting a second opinion before giving up?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    (Just to add, I say this because the majority of failures aren’t due to the cat but due to a sensor causing a mid fuelling and thus a higher emission. I think the coolant temp sensor on the mg tf is about £20)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31881
    fandango said:
    JerkMoans said:
    And then the buyer will claim (1) it didnt arrive (2) the cat converter needs replacing (3) wrong colour, and raise a refund with Ebay.

Alternatively, and as long as you’re not expecting any money for that 15 year old car, you could leave it parked up in Liverpool (or Birmingham) with the keys in the ignition.
    I know a guy who did that with an unwanted Honda, leaving it under a railway arch in east London.

Three weeks later it was still there, except someone had stolen the key. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited April 2018
    Dump it in a country lane and torch it! Then report ot stolen and claim the insurance

...seriously if you want to get the most money back your best bet is to advertise it on car/MG enthusiast forums. That is where you'll get the best/most realistic money, the least the time wasters and is free.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Sell it to @Bridgehouse  : he seems keen.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I went to webuyanycar once. Online quote was around £2000.
    Dude was a joke when I got there. Knocked £100 off for every little dent and scratch he could find (I declared them all on the online quote form by the way!). He then went around the car with his paint thickness gauge and actually tried telling me the car had been resprayed... 
    So knocked another £500 off.. 

Er, pretty sure it hadnt mate! 

I then went to wewanyanycar. A quick test drive later he offered the £2000. 
    They didnt tell me until I got there that there are fees which they deduct from the price.. but still, they gave me a grand more than wbac! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...