I haven't seen my guitars for a month....

What's Hot
monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
.... And I haven't missed them.

Completed the sale on our house last month and moved into a rented house while we're waiting for the new house to be built.
Put all my gear in storage with the intention of bringing it once we'd settled in but honestly can't be arsed.
Its the longest I can ever remember being without a guitar and surprised how little I'm missing them

Could this be the end?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2948
    Probably, list them now so we can see whats worth putting in a cheeky low bid for.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    You'll come back to it all with fresh eyes and a new passion for it, trust me.
    I've done it many times and getting the spark back again when it all comes back out is a great feeling.

I'd use the time to find and listen to some new music and get some new directions to go in when you do pick it back up or if not, brush up on old favourites.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    But you’re so close to 1,000 frets, don’t give up now
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14679
    Well, if you have nothing to post about guitars, you could always try whipping up controversy in Off-Topic about self-publicists outside law court buildings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    5 years hard slog. Earned every single one of them :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5879
    I thought one of your Guitars had been featured on a TheFretboard Calendar?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    Now you know how @HarrySeven must feel....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5879
    Now you know how @HarrySeven must feel....
    He must buy most of his Guitars by "Feel", he can't possibly use his eyes :)

I'm only joking OK, just a joke :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    Cheek! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    When I started the business, I sold my Lonestar, Strat and a bunch of pedals to fund it. I maintained I wouldn’t be bothered about them because I wouldn’t have the time or the inclination to sit and play the guitar while still working full time and building a guitar business on the side. 

Fast forward 20 months and I have another Lonestar, another Strat and a bunch of pedals.

I think you’d regret selling up. 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Not thinking of selling up.
    Just so surprised that I loved being surrounded by nice guitars and played most days even if just a short noodle and haven't really missed them
    That said talking about it now makes me miss them. Got a few days off soon so might get a couple into the house.

BTW - just noticed...... 1000 frets. Yay me :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27496
    I think the fact that you put *everything* into storage (rather than keeping one guitar with you) speaks volumes. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12197
    Well why not get one guitar out and see if you play it?

Or just leave things there.  There is no rule that says you can't lose interest and stop playing for a while.

I did for years, then got back into it about 18 months ago.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    All but one of mine are still in cases and have been for over a month whilst we moved, now waiting for my office/studio to be completed so I’ve somewhere to put them. Can’t wait to get them all back out and accessible again, hopefully this weekend :) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    monofin said:
    5 years hard slog. Earned every single one of them :-)
    Sucker. He hasn't found the hack yet.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I stopped playing for about 4 years after a band broke up, everything either got sold or put in the attic. However, as soon as I met someone else who was interested in writing some songs it was like a button got pressed, I'm currently surrounded by pedals and cables again. I think I have to have some kind of incentive to play, like songs to write or someone needing something scored. Just being a bedroom player doesn't activate the same part of my brain (could be ADHD related somehow).
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Where are they stored? Do you have the geolocation info on hand?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think the fact that you put *everything* into storage (rather than keeping one guitar with you) speaks volumes. 
    Saying what, exactly? That he doesn't mind not playing for a bit? I think his OP said as much. I don't think it necessarily implies that he's going to continue not caring if he doesn't play, but I'm sure it does indicate his current state of mind. I've done similar.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    edited May 2018
    I had all my possessions in storage for a year but I kept my guitar and bass with me. Quite apart from wanting to have a play every day I didn't trust them in a storage container where I'd have no control over temperature, humidity etc.

Getting all my stuff back a couple of months ago was an eye opener though. I realised I had an excess of amps, pedals, cables (how did I ever accrue so many cables) and other musical junk that I could happily live without. Slowly divesting myself of it and feeling happier in the process.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862
    edited May 2018
    Not exactly the same situation but most of mine were put away while we did some renovations around the house. I was still gigging and noticed that when leaving for a gig I picked up the same two guitars each time. 
    This was the moment that started the latest cull of equipment. 
    Fast forward a few months and I've 'released' 8 guitars, 3 amps and half a dozen pedals.  (For a bit of balance here I have bought a great amp head and am looking at getting an Albert Lee model Musicman).
    The rest of the cash is sat waiting for next year's (Silver Wedding) tour of Nashville & Memphis. 
    Am I missing any of the kit? Of course I am, but not enough to be looking to replace it. (Yet)