Home Practice Amp

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
Can anyone advise on the best hon/portable amp? I have a Blackstar HT1R which I really like and use pedals with, but was looking for something with more tones and built in effects for quick and easy practice. 

Seen really good things about the Yamaha Thr10. The others are Fender GT40, that sounds a bit wrong from what I’ve heard, plus is less portable. The Boss Kantana Air, nut that seems expensive for what it is.

Any thoughts on these or others I should consider? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got a Yamaha THR5 and love it!

Its great at bedroom levels, (Even when the kids are in bed) the sounds and tones are superb even at extremely low volume. Its got everything you need FX wise fully loaded BUT it does sound sh1te with pedals. It doesn't have a FX loop (So no Ed Sheeran busking)and has a 1/4 size headphone jack?? In case your headphones are from the 80's?

But for what I want it for its ideal as a 3rd amp its ideal and looks cool too with that orange tube glow emanating from the front plus it takes battery's so you can continue playing through a power cut!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    Katana 50. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited August 2018
    Vox adio. I’ve had mine for two weeks, it kills the THR I used to have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Love my Blackstar ID Core 10
    #thebatesmotelband
  • Katana 50 hands down. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11866
    I think these days it comes down to...

The best is the Katana 50, hands down as @Legionreturns said...
    The smallest but with a price tag, Vox Adio...
    The cheapest but with tons of features, the Blackstar ID Core...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    It has zero effects, zero tone controls, one single volume control with integrated on/off switch and I love it.  I speak about my little Pignose battery powered amp.  Why I like it so much is that it won't tolerate [hide] deadened strings or less than perfect chord shapes.  It won't make you sound better than you are either.  Try one in a shop.  You will love the sound or you will hate it.  If you do buy it, you won't ever outgrow it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    edited August 2018
    Another vote for the THR10(C). Killer little amp, lots of great tones, usable software.

However, I will say this. If you gave me £250 right now & told me to buy a good home practice amp, I'd probably go for a Katana due to the wider range of effects... Maybe. I don't know. But yeah, for me, it's between those two.

One thing to note with the THR10 series is that it apparently doesn't play too nicely with looper pedals (although I've no experiences with this myself), so if you're buying & hoping to jam out with your looper, maybe consider something else. I tend to just use the standard 3.5mm input & get some songs through my tablet running into it.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2209
    Thanks guys. The Katana 50 is just too big. I’m looking for something smaller that I can carry around the house to pratice on, but with a few more features than one of the mini amps, such as the Katana mini. I think it might be between the THR10, Kantana Air and Vox. I do wonder if the Yamaha is due an update soon and whether it is worth waiting. The Kantana Air is so over priced, but they currently have no competition in a wireless amp, but maybe that will change in the next 6-12months 
    Barnezy said:
    Thanks guys. The Katana 50 is just too big. I’m looking for something smaller that I can carry around the house to pratice on, but with a few more features than one of the mini amps, such as the Katana mini. I think it might be between the THR10, Kantana Air and Vox. I do wonder if the Yamaha is due an update soon and whether it is worth waiting. The Kantana Air is so over priced, but they currently have no competition in a wireless amp, but maybe that will change in the next 6-12months 
    You can get a Vox Adio and Line 6 G10 for less than the Katana Air costs, and the G10 will work with any amp, not just the Katana Air...
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3867
    edited August 2018
    I'm in a similar boat at the minute, on the lookout for something dinky for low volume living room noodling. I had the Katana 50 which was a cracking bit of kit for the money, but the rather industrial (and quite large) black vinyl cube look really didn't cut it with the Mrs as a piece of living room furniture!

Something like an HT1-R would be perfect for me if it was a nice tweed colour, or anything other than plain black really. Definitely swaying towards the Yamaha THR-5 as being the ideal solution if I can find one at a decent price 2nd hand, seems to have the best balance of tones, looks and portability.
  • Why not just go multi fx into studio monitors? 

Works a treat

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not just go multi fx into studio monitors? 

Works a treat
    Or maybe a basic Multi-FX into his existing HT1-R if he already likes that and just wants a few more effects? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    Rocker said:
    It has zero effects, zero tone controls, one single volume control with integrated on/off switch and I love it.  I speak about my little Pignose battery powered amp.  Why I like it so much is that it won't tolerate [hide] deadened strings or less than perfect chord shapes.  It won't make you sound better than you are either.  Try one in a shop.  You will love the sound or you will hate it.  If you do buy it, you won't ever outgrow it.
    This is my personal choice too, though I'm aware most wouldn't like it. 

The Pignose is actually a musical instrument, rather than a flatteringly artificial replica of anything. 

I'll never get rid of mine. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    I'm in a similar boat at the minute, on the lookout for something dinky for low volume living room noodling. I had the Katana 50 which was a cracking bit of kit for the money, but the rather industrial (and quite large) black vinyl cube look really didn't cut it with the Mrs as a piece of living room furniture!

Something like an HT1-R would be perfect for me if it was a nice tweed colour, or anything other than plain black really. Definitely swaying towards the Yamaha THR-5 as being the ideal solution if I can find one at a decent price 2nd hand, seems to have the best balance of tones, looks and portability.
    Yamaha thr5 is perfect for my home use and am allowed it on display in the lounge. I realise katana and audio may do more but I don't think they could sound any better at quiet volumes. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Vox VT20+ .  Way better than the THR10C I had and I've also tried the Katana which was decidedly average.  Plenty around for well under 100 quid - I got mine on here for £25.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27665
    Barnezy said:
     do wonder if the Yamaha is due an update soon and whether it is worth waiting. 
    The software makes the difference with the THR.

Its a good amp, but the stock presets are a bit meh.  Download the software - and some of the decent feee presets - and you get a great amp that sounds good through the built-in speakers or headphones, is easily carryable, and doesnt look like an amp when its sat on the coffee table.

And there are enough around s/h to mean that there are plenty bargains.

Or use an iPad, decent interface and JamUp if (a) you've got an iPad and (b) you dont mind playing through headphones.  Even more portable and cheaper (if you've got the iPad already).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    uncledick said:
    Vox VT20+ .  ... I got mine on here for £25.
    Bargain
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4573
    I like the look of the Vox Mini 5 Rhythm.  I think it's really intended as a busking amp, but it's portable, can run on batteries, and has built-in FX and a drum machine.  I reckon it would be a great practice tool.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Why not just go multi fx into studio monitors? 

Works a treat
    don't have to be studio monitors even - a pair of powered PC speakers are just as good. ppl often ditching these free on Freecycle too... even battery powered speakers can sound good!

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/66/e0/f3/66e0f3c56007e7adff0b5c3aee1b0ab1.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>